The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 03-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
SamIam

Cannabis use leads to psychosis

Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) - Young people who smoke cannabis or marijuana for six years or more are twice as likely to have psychotic episodes, hallucinations or delusions than people who have never used the drug, scientists said on Monday.

The findings adds weight to previous research which linked psychosis with the drug -- particularly in its most potent form as "skunk" -- and will feed the debate about the level of controls over its use.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6201LW20100301

I guess this will add more fuel to the fire in the debate to legalize marijuana. I never heard of skunk before, but then I am not a smoker.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) - Young people who smoke cannabis or marijuana for six years or more are twice as likely to have psychotic episodes, hallucinations or delusions than people who have never used the drug, scientists said on Monday.
I guess it's a good thing I didn't pick up any bad habits until I was well into my 20s.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

These studies come out every few years and they generally fail to account for the fact that people who suffer from psychosis will self-medicate, and weed is the first medication of choice. (Although my dead psychotic ex-nephew in law self-medicated with industrial-strength opiates...)

We also know that the percentage of people diagnosed with psychosis has not risen, even as weed gets more popular and stronger. If 40% of regulars developed serious mental illnesses, we would certainly notice that.

It's not empirical evidence, but my buddy who has smoked every day since the early 70s is still the most intelligent person I know.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Well it makes sense that any psychedelic drug with hallucinogenic effects will increase the risk of a condition that involves hallucinations.

Weed is a tricky drug. From all the studies and personal experience I've gathered it seems that it can potentially be beneficial if used in moderation but can be dangerous if abused. But, weed affects everyone differently so it is extremely difficult to generalize. Weed may lessen the effects of anxiety (when sober) on one person but may cause anxiety (when sober) on another. I find it ironic that weed, when abused, can cause almost all of the psychological conditions that it is suppose to help with. Depends on the person. Depends on the type of weed. Depends on the dosage.

Harder psychedelic drugs (LSD, shrooms, etc) can really fuck some people up though. Some of the permanent side effects from those are just as bad or worst than any other drug IMO. Once again, someone could take 2,000 LSD hits over a lifetime and be fine and someone else could get HPPD from one. If you have any history of schizophrenia, never use harder psychedelics and I would recommend staying away from weed as well.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

It appears they tried to account for some alternate explanations, by doing sibling studies as well, but since siblings can develop psychoses independently of each other anyway, I don't see how that helps with the cause or effect (self-medication) question.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
Pie
Gone and done

They'd compare rates. If you have a bunch of sibs and the ones that medicate get psychoses at a greater rate than those who don't, then the drugs had an effect.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Happy Monkey

That doesn't differentiate between "ones that medicate get psychoses" and "ones that get psychoses medicate" (or, "ones with X medicate and get psychoses", for that matter).

The people here aren't lab rats; you can't have a control group of people who are prevented from taking drugs even if they would have; and that's the control group that you would need to have in order to indicate causation as well as correllation.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
The people here aren't lab rats; you can't have a control group of people who are prevented from taking drugs even if they would have...
Ever seen the design of a double-blind placebo controlled clinical trial?
Old 03-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
Flint
Snowflake

What's the placebo group here, they give some people fake pot?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #10
Pie
Gone and done

No, I wasn't saying this was a d-b-p-c-t, just that such things do exist.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
Happy Monkey

Right. I shouldn't have implied that you can only do such things with lab rats. The important difference is that this wasn't a clinical trial of cannabis, it was a study of people outside the control of the researcher, and as such I couldn't see a way for there to be a control group that could indicate causation.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #12
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

They're just cannabis deniers.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #13
jinx
Come on, cat.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:16 AM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Aren't these the most vibrant, beautiful butterflies you've ever seen? What? Whaddya mean there ain't no butterflies?

[The Dude] Far out man, far fucking out.[/The Dude]

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #15
Beest
Adapt and Survive

A recent New Scientist article ( I'm not a New Scientist spambot honestly) said that weed basically has two components, one of which is an anti-psychotic. Selection to produce ever stronger strains and skunk, have reduced or elimnated this anti-spychotic component, so modern strains are more likley to produce spychotic effects in the susceptible, than the weed of yesteryear.
It was posited as an argument for legalization so that the amount of the seconf component could be regulated.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote