The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Next Father's Day is going to be interesting for him

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...es-Manson.html

By PETE SAMSON
US Editor

Published: 23 Nov 2009
Add a comment (18)
LIKE many adopted children, Matthew Roberts set about finding his biological parents with a mix of nerves and excitement.
In particular, he hoped that discovering his father's identity would help him to work out what made him the man he had become.

But nothing could have prepared him for being told his dad was... serial killer CHARLES MANSON.

Warped ... Charles Manson now
Over a five-week period in the summer of 1969, Manson and his Family of commune followers committed a series of nine gruesome murders. Victims included pregnant actress Sharon Tate, wife of film director Roman Polanski.

Matthew, 41 - who bears a haunting resemblance to his father - sank into depression after discovering his identity.

He has since been in contact with his dad in a series of letters to his California prison and Manson has replied - each time chillingly signing off with a swastika.

Now Matthew, who was given up for adoption as a baby, has told of his horror at finding out he was the son of a monster.

Poison pen ... letter from Manson to Matthew
He says: "I didn't want to believe it. I was frightened and angry. It's like finding out that Adolf Hitler is your father.

"I'm a peaceful person - trapped in the face of a monster."

Matthew grew up in Rockford, Illinois, and didn't know he was adopted until his sister told him when he was ten.

He loved his adoptive parents but always knew he was different. He says: "My parents were great people, but very conservative.

"They were products of the Fifties and I didn't relate to them. My biological parents were products of the Sixties and I take on a lot more of those characteristics."

He also reveals his adoptive father tried to discourage him from getting in contact with Manson, telling him: "Nothing good will come from this."

Letters
Matthew, who now lives in Los Angeles, began investigating his family history 12 years ago when he contacted a social services agency who located his mother, Terry, in Wisconsin.

He wrote to her straight away and their early exchanges will be familiar to adopted children everywhere.

She confirmed she was his mum and told him she had named him Lawrence Alexander - and that she would tell him his last name in time.

The jigsaw of his life was beginning to take shape but it was still missing a crucial piece - his father.

Terry remained tight-lipped about his identity but after Matthew pressed her for details in a string of letters, she eventually revealed the awful truth.

She said she met commune leader Manson in 1967 - two years before the infamous "Manson Family" murders in Los Angeles for which he is still in jail at the age of 75.

But back in 1967, Terry had been one of many who were transfixed by Manson's charms.

Her father had tried to chase him away when he met Terry, calling him a "white-trash biker bandit" but she found him charismatic and hypnotizing.

So she hopped on a bus with his Family and ended up in San Francisco. There she claims she was raped by Manson in a drug-fuelled orgy, after which she returned home and Matthew was born on March 22, 1968.

Cult HQ ... ranch near Death Valley where Manson Family gathered
Terry always believed Manson was the father of the baby she gave up for adoption. And after seeing a picture of Matthew, her worst nightmare was confirmed.

For he is the spitting image of Manson, with the same nose, mouth, eyes and large forehead. They even have the same thick, arched eyebrows and long, thick, dark hair.

Like his father, Matthew is a songwriter and poet. He is even worried that he may have inherited his father's schizophrenia.

Matthew, now working as a DJ, recalls hearing mum Terry's bombshell: "She even said, 'You look just like him'.

"I'm not nuts but I've got a little bit of it. It's scary and upsetting. If I get worked up, my eyes get really big and that's really freaked some people out before.

Bad sign ... another note from the killer
Splash News
"I've tried to tone that down quite a bit. I don't like having that effect on people.

"I don't even like the fact that I'm big. It makes me even scarier. My hero is Gandhi. I'm an extremely non-violent, peaceful person and a vegetarian.

"I don't even kill bugs. I've had long hair all my life. I could make it go away, but I can't let the world and their fears change me." After discovering the truth, it took Matthew five years to pluck up the courage to write to his father at Corcoran State Prison in California.

Manson replied to Matthew's letter straight away and has since sent him a string of ten handwritten notes and postcards signed with the wartime Nazi symbol.

Hobo
Matthew says: "He sends me weird stuff and always signs it with his swastika. At first I was stunned and depressed. I wasn't able to speak for a day. I remember not being able to eat."

According to Matthew, the letters mainly rambled and said "crazy things" but Manson did confirm he could be his father.

In one twisted letter he wrote: "The truth is the truth. The truth hurts."

Advertisement

In another note Manson talked about meeting Matthew's mother. He wrote: "I remember her. We came back to LA on the super-cheap train."

And Manson - who grew up without a father figure - even compared his childhood to Matthew's.

He said: "You got the same father I got. A hobo just left on the midnight train and died, lost at sea." Then in a postcard two years ago, addressed to Matthew's birth name Lawrence Alexander, Manson sent his son his prison phone number.

But Matthew has never made the call to his dad.

He says: "There's always a subconscious block.

"What I'm worried about is that you think you're going to meet your birth mother or father and they're going to love you and welcome you with open arms. But he's not that kind of person."

Despite Manson's evil actions, Matthew confesses he now battles confused emotions towards his biological father.

He says: "If I did talk to Charlie on the phone, I would say, 'I truly understand what it's like to be you, more than anyone could ever imagine on so many levels'.

"He's my biological father - I can't help but have some kind of emotional connection. That's the hardest thing of all - feeling love for a monster who raped my mother.

"I don't want to love him, but I don't want to hate him either."

p.samson@the-sun.co.uk
Old 11-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Ted Bundy's got kids out there, too.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Leave my dad out of this.

Now if you'll excuse me, there are some hobos need dealin' with.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I wonder what other evildoers have progeny out there...

...moussolini?
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post

...moussolini?
Mussolini had six children.

Romano Mussolini was a respected jazz pianist.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:

...moussolini?
I saw a documentary about Hitler's relatives. They are pretty much all living under other names, many of them here in the US.

And no, none of them is named Obama.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:05 AM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:

...moussolini?
UG has one.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:51 AM   #8
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Although I've never had to face that kind of information, I hold a lot of stock in the whole "sins of the parent are not sins of the child" motto. Especially in these type cases where the child was not raised by that parent and therefor did not nurture them in their image.
I think for him it is a good thing to know what diseases he has a genetic disposition to (ie schizophrenia) so that he can be aware of warning signs, catch it early and get treatment before worse happens.

Edit:
Doesn't schizophrenia usually manifest in the teen-young 20's? He is probably in the clear on that. Heart disease and diabetes tho....
Old 11-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
I saw a documentary about Hitler's relatives. They are pretty much all living under other names, many of them here in the US.
The 3 grandsons, living in New York State, made a pact with each other not to have children.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
But nothing could have prepared him for being told his dad was... serial killer CHARLES MANSON. He has since been in contact with his dad in a series of letters to his California prison and Manson has replied - each time chillingly signing off with a swastika. Now Matthew, who was given up for adoption as a baby, has told of his horror at finding out he was the son of a monster.
So why exchange letters (plural)? Oh, to sell a story. Okay.
Quote:
He loved his adoptive parents but always knew he was different. He says: "My parents were great people, but very conservative. "They were products of the Fifties and I didn't relate to them. My biological parents were products of the Sixties and I take on a lot more of those characteristics."
Whaddya know. The zeitgeist is passed down genetically.
Quote:
For he is the spitting image of Manson, with the same nose, mouth, eyes and large forehead. They even have the same thick, arched eyebrows and long, thick, dark hair.

"I don't even like the fact that I'm big. It makes me even scarier. My hero is Gandhi. I'm an extremely non-violent, peaceful person and a vegetarian.
Manson was tiny. 5'4" if I remember correctly. So he was mini-Dad instead of mini-me. Spitting image is obviously a more flexible term than I realised.
Quote:
He says: "If I did talk to Charlie on the phone, I would say, 'I truly understand what it's like to be you, more than anyone could ever imagine on so many levels'.
I'm quite glad I don't know what it's like to be a petty criminal, in the system since he was a child, finally finding some power in recruiting and mentally overpowering teenage girls and inspiring murders. But hey - he's his father's son after all.

All venting aside, Manson is supposed to have left many, many "love children" as he perceived them. They were all taken into care when the Family were disbanded, let alone those from girls who left before the murders. I'm more nurture than nature TBH, and dearth of rampant mini-Manson stories make me grin in a very self-satisfied way.

All criticisms in this post are of the super, soar-away Sun and not Sheldon.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #11
monster
I hear them call the tide

I wonder how much the son got paid for this story?
Old 11-25-2009, 11:52 PM   #12
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Way too much, whatever it was.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:41 AM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Seems to me, where they actually quoted the guy, his statements are straight forward, and matter of fact, without sensationalism. He's a DJ, do I guess the publicity wouldn't hurt, but I don't know if he's looking to make money on it. Wouldn't he write a book and do the talk show circuit? At this point I still feel sorry for him.

It's pretty common for adopted kids to search out their birth parents, especially with changing laws that give them access to the information, and the internet to facilitate searching.

I mentioned this story to a couple of people, just saying an adopted kid searches out his birth parents, and finds out his father is Charles Manson.
The universal reaction was, OMG, holy shit, that poor bastard.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:48 AM   #14
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
UG has one.
Really, Griff.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:48 AM   #15
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Hehee. Yeah, cross UG with Charles Manson and raise the sprog next to the lead-smelter, that'd about do it.