The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-17-2004, 01:08 AM   #1
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Things That are Not Comforting to find in your email ...

I got home after a hard day of slaving over hot psychotics (not really, the weather pretty much kept them and and I spent much of the night catching up on my reading) and found this in my email inbox:

PENNSYLVANIA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
HEALTH ADVISORY

This advisory is from CDC. It is provided for your information and distribution as appropriate
Thanks,

[REDACTED]

This is an official

CDC Health Advisory

Distributed via Health Alert Network

March 16, 2004, 11:35 EST (11:35 AM EST)
CDCHAN-00189-04-03-16-ADV-N

Public Health Precautions Related to Mass Trauma

Based on recent events in Spain and Pakistan, clinicians, hospitals, and public health agencies should ensure that they are prepared to respond to mass trauma related to terrorist bombings. On March 11, 2004, bombs detonated on commuter trains in Madrid, Spain, killing more than 200 people. On Monday, March 15, 2004, police successfully disarmed bombs in a van outside the U.S. Consulate in Karachi, Pakistan. These events raise concerns about the potential for similar attacks that may result in mass trauma in the United States.

Mass trauma is defined as the injuries, death, disability, and emotional stress caused by a catastrophic event, such as a large-scale natural disaster or a terrorist attack. In the event of mass trauma, clinicians, hospitals, and public health agencies should be prepared to treat injuries, disability, and psychosocial (individual and community) stress. Clinicians, hospitals, and public health agencies need to also be prepared for a large number of fatalities.

Public health and medical care systems (including physical and mental health, public information, and social services) are encouraged to develop and review protocols for the treatment of mass trauma. They are also encouraged to develop and review hospital plans for dealing with surges in demand for emergency care due to complex injuries, psychosocial distress reactions, and the acute aggravation of chronic diseases that may be triggered by the psychological terror of such events.

Information on injuries and stress related to mass trauma can be found on the CDC Mass Trauma website at www.cdc.gov/masstrauma. This site is designed to provide information and preparedness and response tools to help public health professionals and clinicians prepare for and respond to mass trauma events. The website also contains fact sheets in English and Spanish for the public. Additional information resources and descriptions of relevant research studies can also be found on the site.

[big list of links on scary topics deleted]
____________________________________________________________________________________
Categories of Health Alert messages:
Health Alert conveys the highest level of importance; warrants immediate action or attention.
Health Advisory provides important information for a specific incident or situation; may not require immediate action.
Health Update provides updated information regarding an incident or situation; unlikely to require immediate action.

##This Message was distributed to State and Local Health Officers, Public Information Officers, Epidemiologists, Lab Directors, WMD and HAN Coordinators as well as Clinician organizations##

====================================================

You have received this message based upon the information contained within our emergency notification data base. If you have a different or additional e-mail or fax address that you would like us to use please notify us as soon as possible by e-mail at healthalert@cdc.gov.

====================================================

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 08:40 AM   #2
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

You know you're getting old when you can say something like:

"You know I remember a time when people could actually handle problems on their own."
Old 03-17-2004, 11:05 AM   #3
Sperlock
Elite Elitist

It's also not comforting to get a call from the health department. I got one, and my heart beat faster, but then calmed down as I realized it was just to be notified of a job opening. I ended up getting the job and start there Monday.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:40 PM   #4
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally posted by Sperlock
It's also not comforting to get a call from the health department. I got one, and my heart beat faster, but then calmed down as I realized it was just to be notified of a job opening. I ended up getting the job and start there Monday.
Congrats! Welcome to the ever-thinning ranks of the employed.

- Pie
Old 03-17-2004, 04:39 PM   #5
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I certainly hope that, if something unthinkable *does* happen in the coming days, that they don't follow that up with a message saying "toldja so..."