The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 02:54 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Sigh

OK, after working for a couple hours fighting a bit of a fire, the last thing I'd want to see here is spam but it just happened again, and this time I just out-n-out deleted it.

This being the third time that someone has wanted to come on here and just fling spam at us, I'm going to kinda say that this is one thing that just can't fly here.

When someone comes on and just posts a message asking us, their "friend", for support, that's not only dishonest but it goes against pretty much everything we care about, doesn't it?

I find such crap to be intolerably irritating AND possibly damaging to the system, and I'm gonna go right ahead and add a bit to the registration form that says so. You don't get to hijack this place, spammers...
Old 11-09-2001, 03:21 PM   #2
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Re: Sigh

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad

When someone comes on and just posts a message asking us, their "friend", for support, that's not only dishonest but it goes against pretty much everything we care about, doesn't it?
Seems that way to me. From the very beginning, the Cellar has been about a sense of community. I don't think it makes sense to declare yourself a member of the community and ask for help in the same breath. There's a totally-undefined but palpable process of establishing cred as a Cellarite that has to happen first. Because this *is* a community, there has tro be a willingness to contribute as well as benefit; all sustainable energy flows are balanced.

Tony, your gut-feel governance of the Cellar over the years has been key to it's longevity. Keep on doing what you do.

Old 11-09-2001, 03:28 PM   #3
dave

man. that really pissed me off. i know tony saw my post, but if anyone else didn't... well. man. holy shit did that piss me off.

i just installed redhat 72 on my work box here. shnifty. time to ssh back into my server and check email

Old 11-09-2001, 03:37 PM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Re: Sigh

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
This being the third time that someone has wanted to come on here and just fling spam at us, I'm going to kinda say that this is one thing that just can't fly here.
Just say it. No spam. Thank you. I'm sorry to hear about that Tony. I didn't see it, but just the simple fact that someone would bother to register, then send spam...that's just stoopid.

You govern a community that is light years ahead of most. For that, I am grateful. Do what needs to be done.
Old 11-09-2001, 03:46 PM   #5
jaguar
whig

why i entirely agree iwth the above.....what the hell happened?
As in who posted what?
Old 11-09-2001, 03:54 PM   #6
dave

this piece of shit ToddL posted some shit about how he's raising money for lymphoma & leukemia and needs us, as friends, to give him money.

and i responded with a "what the fuck? you fucking piece of shit" kinda thing. and then i mailed tony and DA MAN TONY MUTHA FUCKIN' SHEPPS got rid of that piece of filth thread that ToddL had started.

man that set me off. i mean. i was fuming in my office. hehe. anyway, it's gone now, thank christ.

back to email...

Old 11-09-2001, 04:35 PM   #7
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

*muses to himself*

Can't believe somebody would go to the trouble of joining a forum just to post spam. Unconscionable!

Be a shame if something were to happen... some terrible mistake... like, oh... I dunno... if the forum's administrator were to accidentally post the offender's IP address in this thread somewhere...

Probably isn't a static address... but you never know... yes, that would be terrible. Terrible.

My work here is done. I must go.

*wanders off to make himself a cup of tea, whistling merrily*
Old 11-10-2001, 11:16 AM   #8
markmarion
Fellow-Commoner

Tired of Spam?

STOP SPAM NOW!

WITH SPAMBLASTER V3.1®

EASY SYSTEM. NO HIDDEN FEES.

100% SATISFACTION!

The Best Part is... It's 100% Legal, 100% Ethical, and Fully GUARANTEED!

30 DAY TRIAL. GUARANTEED RESULTS.

EASY INSTALLATION / EASY TO USE.

OUR SPAM DETECTION SOFTWARE IS RATED 10/10 BY OUR SALES STAFF.

PAY NOW, COMPLAIN LATER.

CLICK HERE FOR FREE DETAILS!

This email was sent to you by The Organisation That Fails To Accept That
Spam Doesn't Work® in full compliance with all existing and proposed email
legislation. You may automatically remove yourself from any future mailings by
clicking here. <http://www.addmetomorespamlists.com/(dont)remove.html> The
reply address on this email was active at the time this email was sent. The
Organisation That Fails To Accept That Spam Doesn't Work®, SJO3016 PO
Box 025216, Miami, FL 33102 tel:011-506-296-1109

smallprintcontainsnopunctuationorspacestomakeitimpossibletoread.
anyonewhoevenreadsthisadvertautomaticallyowesus$5000.00inroyaltyfees
fordigestingcopyrightinformation.infactallrecipientswillreceiveaninvoicewithin4
workingdayswhichmustbepayedin30workingdaysorwewillsue.

Last edited by markmarion; 11-10-2001 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-10-2001, 04:44 PM   #9
jaguar
whig

i'M temped ot get his e-mail address - sign it up to every *enter your e-mail here* i come across for a week.
Certainly worked when i friend asked what spam was....poo bastard never knew what hit him.
Old 11-10-2001, 07:30 PM   #10
verbatim
Vice-President of Resentment

tony, its also your website, so if someone goes abusing it, feel free to nuke their account, spam their email addr, send hatemail to their home, whatever.

tony, your part of what makes the cellar great. the fact that the owner and siteadmin is willing to carry on a conversation with the members.

i also think some of the publicity of the cellar (fark.com) has brought this kind of stuff on it. there are some very evil people in our world, and as they all might not be daring enough to cause a national crisis, they are willing to destroy someone's place of pleasure.
Old 11-11-2001, 10:01 AM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Thanks.

As far as me getting in on the conversation, it's odd. On one hand, I can never understand how NONE of the "editors" at Slashdot get in on the stories they post. If you want to have a community site with conversation, how can you not be part of the community?

(The one exception is that guy Jamie who does a lot of the "Your Rights Online" bits. He'll get into the conversation. He's the only one who I've seen actively researching his stories. Much respect for that dude.)

And yet, sometimes (mostly in the past) people have gone away mad when I've posted some of my points of view. Face it, if I came on here and said I was in favor of killing baby chicks, a lot of people would shake their heads in disgust and never visit again.

That's because they believe my opinion counts more because I run the place. If some moron came on and posted it, they'd ignore it. If the guy who runs it is an asshole, why should they visit, they figure. Well I hate that. My opinion should count the same amount as anyone else's. Many times I am an asshole and a moron and need to be taught the errors of my ways. In such cases I hope that you all will argue with me and show me where I have gone wrong. When people post opinions that are 100% against mine, I consider that to be very good indeed.
Old 11-11-2001, 02:12 PM   #12
dave

yeah. tony's a fuckin' jerk. or sumfin.

i give mucho respect because i appreciate the cellar. but yeah. if you were blatantly off about something, i'd jump on you

man. i just realized i finished my can of citra. dammit.

as far as slashdot goes... jamie *and* roblimo research their stuff... cmdrtaco irritates me the worst i think... in some respects, i see it as "well, he started the site, so he can write whatever"... but i also see it as representative of our "linux community"... and many many people do... and when he posts stupid shit, it bothers the hell out of me...

that's one of the things i like about the cellar too... tony is within reach... cmdrtaco is too far out to get a conversation going with... and he doesn't admit when he's wrong either... hence, the cellar rules, while slashdot grows more and more lame every day...

Old 11-11-2001, 03:51 PM   #13
jaguar
whig

I think slashdot editors don't post muc hbecuase they simply don't have the time - i mean the amount of work that goes into runing a site that cops roughly 1 million hits a day is huge to say the least. As for slashdot being "voice of the linux community" anyone that claims to be that is bloody well asking for it - it is the linux community after all =) If it didn't bitch with itself continually it would be a totally different entity.

I don't generally read slashdot comments - but the stories stil make it the fastest and best computer-orientated newssite on the web.
Closed Thread