The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-23-2004, 04:52 PM   #1
Wombat
(marsupial with backward-facing pouch)

Supersized

I feel sorry for the MacDonald's CEO, he's got bowel cancer and he's only 44. He started work at Maccas when he was 15... so you have to wonder, has (half) a lifetime of eating fast food caused his early cancer???
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E2702,00.html
(And his predecessor died suddenly of a heart attack!)
Old 11-23-2004, 09:03 PM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'd like to see a comparison of cancer and heart attacks in high-power CEOs and average folks. I bet he was predisposed regardless of what company he was working for.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:06 PM   #3
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat
... has (half) a lifetime of eating fast food caused his early cancer???
I doubt it. Since he worked for McDonalds, he likely knew better than to eat that ... material.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:22 PM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Imo's Pizza is a large local chain in the St. Louis area...God, they have the best pizza. When I was in high school, I thought it would be great to work for them. So, I went to work at one of their locations as a pizzamaker...and stayed there for all of a week.

It took a while for the pizza smell to finally disappear from my hands...and I didn't eat it again for over a year.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:29 PM   #5
garnet

And didn't Dave Thomas of Wendy's die of heart disease? You'd think these guys would know better than to eat the stuff they sell....
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:54 AM   #6
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore
Imo's Pizza is a large local chain in the St. Louis area...God, they have the best pizza. When I was in high school, I thought it would be great to work for them. So, I went to work at one of their locations as a pizzamaker...and stayed there for all of a week.

It took a while for the pizza smell to finally disappear from my hands...and I didn't eat it again for over a year.
I have a similar story with Wendy's. I worked at a certain Wendy's for 2 months one summer. I was constantly smelling like mustard and frying grease and I went through a couple of birthdays before I ate at that location again after I left.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 07:02 AM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Surprisingly, working at a pizza place in my teens actually gained me an appreciation for pizza. I hated it before I started, but all the employees were very good at creating much better recipes than the ones we sold, since dinner was usually pizza every night for us.

That whole chicken-wing-meat-on-pizza thing that one of the big chains is doing now? We were doing that ten years ago, with a half-and-half mixture of ranch dressing and cayenne pepper sauce (used on the hot wings) substituted for the tomato sauce.

And a "Clodfobble* Special" was a pepperoni topped with a jalapeno slice and drizzled liberally with barbecue sauce. Sometimes they'd go through the oven, sometimes not. But working there definitely increased my cooking creativity skills.

*My real name here
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 07:39 AM   #8
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Mrs. Elspode made me put an air freshener in my truck the other night. It seems it was the first time she'd gotten in it right after I got home from delivering pizza.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:47 AM   #9
Roosta
Nutter.

I don't know how true it is but I heard a rumour that Mc D's burgers only have the pickle in them because without it, they have such a high sugar content, they are classified as a dessert. The pickle tips them back over the edge into savoury territory. Anybody heard anything like this before?
Old 11-24-2004, 12:11 PM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I think that's probably from the same source as the KFC name change because there's no chicken in their chicken story ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 03:38 PM   #11
Wombat

McD's thickshakes can't be called milkshakes because there's no milk in them. It's pig fat.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:28 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosta
I don't know how true it is but I heard a rumour that Mc D's burgers only have the pickle in them because without it, they have such a high sugar content, they are classified as a dessert. The pickle tips them back over the edge into savoury territory. Anybody heard anything like this before?
Doubt it, although the vinegar makes it tart/tangy, there can be quite a bit of sugar in pickles.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:29 AM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat
McD's thickshakes can't be called milkshakes because there's no milk in them. It's pig fat.
Direct from McDonalds.com nutrition info:

Quote:
Chocolate Triple ThickŪ Shake:
Shake Mix: Whole milk, sucrose, cream, nonfat milk solids, corn syrup solids, mono and diglycerides, guar gum, imitation vanilla flavor, carrageenan, cellulose gum, vitamin A palmitate.

Chocolate Syrup: High fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, water, Dutch processed cocoa, natural (vegetable source) and artificial flavor, salt, potassium sorbate as a preservative, vanillin.

May contain small amounts of other shake flavors served at the restaurant, including egg ingredients when Egg Nog Shakes are available.

Strawberry Triple ThickŪ Shake:
Shake Mix: Whole milk, sucrose, cream, nonfat milk solids, corn syrup solids, mono and diglycerides, guar gum, imitation vanilla flavor, carrageenan, cellulose gum, vitamin A palmitate.

Strawberry Syrup: Sugar, strawberries, water, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, natural (vegetable source) and artificial flavor, pectin, xanthan gum, citric acid, potassium sorbate as a preservative, caramel color, artificial color (red 40), calcium chloride.

May contain small amounts of other shake flavors served at the restaurant, including egg ingredients when Egg Nog Shakes are available.

Vanilla Triple ThickŪ Shake:

Vanilla Syrup: Corn syrup, water, vanilla, caramel color, vanilla bean fiber, pectin, citric acid, sodium benzoate (a preservative), calcium chloride, FD&C Yellow #5 and FD&C Yellow #6.

Lots of stuff, all have milk as primary ingredient, no lard.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 07:26 PM   #14
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
That bit about pig fat probably came from the same place as the rumor about McD putting cocaine (or some other hooking drug) in their fry batter to make their fries more addictive.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 12:03 AM   #15
Wombat

Wow, those shakes even look suitable for vegetarians. Who'd have thought!