The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-29-2006, 11:35 PM   #1
rkzenrage

Mexico set to legalize

Do you have any idea what this will do for Mexican tourism in their higher-income cities?
Amsterdam X ten-thousand.

Mexico set to legalize personal amounts of pot, cocaine, heroin
Friday, April 28, 2006; Posted: 10:10 p.m. EDT (02:10 GMT)

MEXICO CITY, Mexico (AP) -- Mexico's Congress on Friday approved a bill decriminalizing possession of small quantities of marijuana, ecstasy, cocaine and even heroin for personal use, prompting U.S. criticism that the measure could harm anti-drug efforts.

The only step remaining was the signature of President Vicente Fox, whose office indicated he would sign the bill, which Mexican officials hope will allow police to focus on large-scale trafficking operations rather than minor drug busts.

"This law gives police and prosecutors better legal tools to combat drug crimes that do so much damage to our youth and children," said Fox's spokesman, Ruben Aguilar.

If Fox signs the measure and it becomes law, it could strain the two countries' cooperation in anti-drug efforts -- and increase the vast numbers of vacationing students who visit Mexico.

Oscar Aguilar, a Mexico City political analyst, said Fox appeared almost certain to sign the law -- his office proposed it, and his party supports it -- and that he had apparently been betting that it would not draw much notice.

"That's probably why they (the senators) passed it the way they did, in the closing hours of the final session," Aguilar said. "He's going to sign it. ... He's not going to abandon his party two months before the (presidential) election."

U.S. officials scrambled to come up with a response to the bill. One U.S. diplomat who requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly said "we're still studying the legislation, but any effort to decriminalize illegal drugs would not be helpful."

The bill, passed 53-26 with one abstention by Mexico's Senate in the early morning hours, already has been approved in the lower house of Congress. It also stiffens penalties for trafficking and possession of drugs -- even small quantities -- by government employees or near schools, and maintains criminal penalties for drug sales.

The bill says criminal charges will no longer be brought for possession of up to 25 milligrams of heroin, 5 grams of marijuana (about one-fifth of an ounce, or about four joints), or 0.5 grams of cocaine -- the equivalent of about 4 "lines," or half the standard street-sale quantity (though half-size packages are becoming more common).

"No charges will be brought against ... addicts or consumers who are found in possession of any narcotic for personal use," according to the Senate bill, which also lays out allowable quantities for an array of other drugs, including LSD, ecstasy and amphetamines.

Some of the amounts are eye-popping: Mexicans would be allowed to possess more than two pounds of peyote, the button-size hallucinogenic cactus used in some native Indian religious ceremonies.

Mexican law now leaves open the possibility of dropping charges against people caught with drugs if they are considered addicts and if "the amount is the quantity necessary for personal use." But the exemption is not automatic. The new bill drops the "addict" requirement -- automatically allowing any "consumers" to have drugs -- and sets out specific allowable quantities.

Mexican officials declined to explain how the law would work -- including whether drug use in public would be tolerated, or discouraged by other means.

The law was defended by Mexican legislators -- and greeted with glee by U.S. legalization advocates.

"We can't close our eyes to this reality," said Sen. Jorge Zermeno, of Fox's conservative National Action Party. "We cannot continue to fill our jails with people who have addictions."

Ethan Nadelmann, director of the New York-based Drug Policy Alliance, said the bill removed "a huge opportunity for low-level police corruption." In Mexico, police often release people detained for minor drug possession, in exchange for bribes.

Selling all these drugs would remain illegal under the proposed law, unlike the Netherlands, where the sale of marijuana for medical use is legal and it can be bought with a prescription in pharmacies. While Dutch authorities look the other way regarding the open sale of cannabis in designated coffee shops -- something Mexican police seem unlikely to do -- the Dutch have zero tolerance for heroin and cocaine. In both countries, commercial growing of marijuana is outlawed.

In Colombia, a 1994 court ruling decriminalized personal possession of small amounts of cocaine, heroin and other drugs.

The effects in Mexico could be significant, given that the country is rapidly becoming a drug-consuming nation as well as a shipment point for traffickers, and given the number of U.S. students who flock to border cities or resorts like Cancun and Acapulco on vacation.

"This is going to increase addictions in Mexico," said Ulisis Bon, a drug treatment expert in Tijuana, where heroin use is rampant. "A lot of Americans already come here to buy medications they can't get up there ... Just imagine, with heroin."
Old 04-30-2006, 04:48 AM   #2
jaguar
whig

It says something when Mexico has more vision and legislative balls than the entire western world.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:42 AM   #3
billybob
pseudointellectual antipodean omnivore

One U.S. diplomat who requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly said "we're still studying the legislation, but any effort to decriminalize illegal drugs would not be helpful."

Good to see he's studying the legislation with an open mind......and it's happening in Mexico, not Minnesota.As far as I know, they have their own government there,and can do as they please. Why should they give a rat's about what some foreign politician who lacks the integrity to put his name to his own pronouncements thinks?
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I wonder how this would effect employee drug tests for people living close to the Mexican border?
Old 04-30-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
I wonder how this would effect employee drug tests for people living close to the Mexican border?
3 miles is still a little too far to be claiming a 'contact high'.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:39 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

True, but you could say you were in Mexico for the weekend. Does traces in your test, constitute grounds for dismissal if you consumed it legally?
Old 04-30-2006, 10:41 PM   #7
rkzenrage

I have never heard of "contact high" showing-up on a drug test.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:20 PM   #8
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Quote:
True, but you could say you were in Mexico for the weekend. Does traces in your test, constitute grounds for dismissal if you consumed it legally?
Of course. Regardless of its legallity where you consumed it, if your company has anti-drug policies then you should be fired.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:23 PM   #9
rkzenrage

Of course you have every right to circumvent a company drug test.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:20 AM   #10
billybob
pseudointellectual antipodean omnivore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer
Regardless of its legallity where you consumed it, if your company has anti-drug policies then you should be fired.
So if your company decides to have an anti-donut policy, and you obtain and consume one legally and in your own time, should they fire you?

In my world, the company is buying my services by the hour.They stop paying me the moment I punch out, so until I punch in again, as long as I am sober and ready to work when I swipe my employee card, what I do in my own time is none of their business.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:38 PM   #11
rkzenrage

I agree, my time... none of their damn business.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:10 AM   #12
glatt

It would be nice if it worked that way.

Meanwhile, I think I heard on the radio this morning that Fox didn't sign the bill into law. Is that right? The kids were being loud, so I didn't really hear the story.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:10 PM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

It still won't convince any of their people to stay home.

I don't see the use, really.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 04:16 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Not much use to us but it would help cut down the extortion of Mexicans by the constabulary.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #15
Munchkin
Colloquialist

People could deffinitely save money by taking a vacation in Mexico instead of going to Amsterdam.

Drug testing problem : Dont take a job that has drug testing. Be a teacher and spend your summers in mexico
Munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote