The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-12-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Oh NOW I understand why Elspode feels the nation is fascist

Cause where he lives it sometimes is!!! Read on and vomit.

Unwed couple sues town over housing flap
Quote:
KANSAS CITY, Missouri (Reuters) - A Missouri couple who must get married, or move, in order to comply with a housing ordinance in Black Jack, Missouri, sued the town on Thursday, claiming rules prohibiting the unmarried couple and their children from living together are unconstitutional.

The petition, filed in the Circuit Court of St. Louis County, challenges a Black Jack city ordinance that prohibits more than three people from living together in the same house if they are unrelated by blood, marriage or adoption.

Plaintiffs Olivia Shelltrack and Fondray Loving and their children moved from Minnesota to Missouri earlier this year, buying a five-bedroom home in the tiny community outside St. Louis.

Shelltrack and Loving have lived together about 13 years and have two children together, along with a 15-year-old daughter of Shelltrack's from a previous relationship.

Black Jack, a town of about 7,000 that prides itself on a city Web site for its "character and stability," refused to grant the couple and their children an occupancy permit for their home because they do not meet the definition of "family" as set forth by the city, the complaint alleges.

The city has threatened to begin fining the couple as much as $500 a day, said Tony Rothert, legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Eastern Missouri, which is helping represent the family in the lawsuit.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

This is actually a fairly common ordinance in towns trying to keep college students at bay... of course, that doesn't make it right.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

This started earlier this year, IIRC. Some suburbs here in St. Louis still require occupancy permits for homes and apartments, Black Jack being one of them. The family fought the definition with the City Council, but lost a few months ago.

While I think the couple is stupid for not marrying (13 years? Come on now!), Black Jack is even more stupid. I guess they don't like tax revenues.

Of course, I believe MO still has a law that officially prohibits an unmarried man and woman from living together.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:12 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

No common law marriage in Mo?
Old 08-12-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
elSicomoro

No. I thought IL did, but they don't either...only 15 states and DC.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Town right next to University of Dayton (Oakwood) has that same ordinance. Utter BS.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:29 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Teen in CT can't sell night crawlers anymore because some town official didn't like his hand-painted sign
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:40 PM   #8
elSicomoro

http://tinyurl.com/jagg6

Some background on this story, based on what I heard on the radio yesterday:
--Person wants to set up fruit/vegetable stand in Pevely
--Person gets a hard time from Pevely's city government
--A state permit to sell your own bounty is not necessary
--Mayor sells his own tomatoes from his house
--Mayor draws ire of some residents
Old 08-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #9
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Does anyone know why common law marriage was introduced? It's a really dumb concept in my opinion, if a couple is intentionally NOT getting married then they probably don't want to be told they are now married due to time spent together.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:45 PM   #10
9th Engineer

Also, even though it's a stupid law it really doesn't qualify as fascist. Fascist is now just a buzzword people throw around indescriminantly.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:05 PM   #11
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer
Does anyone know why common law marriage was introduced?
Initially, it was because there were some people who literally couldn't afford to get married, because of the various government and officiator fees. Now it has become easier and cheaper to get married. My parents were common-law married, because they both thought weddings were dumb and didn't want to bother with the hassle of getting a marriage license from the government.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:11 PM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer
Fascist is now just a buzzword people throw around indescriminantly.
Some folks misuse it as a suffix as well.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:18 PM   #13
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Sounds like you need our Human Rights law.

Over here if anyone tries to prevent someone doing what they want then that someone claims their human rights are being abused/infringed and, lo and behold, they get their way.

May sound good, but the trouble is every Tom Dick and Harry uses it when they are in a situation they don't like - even (maybe that should be 'mainly') criminals who all too easily when trying to be brought to justice will use the Human Rights Act to turn the tables.

As an example we find that attempts to deport terrorist agitators are thwarted because the individuals claim that we are denying them their human rights to stay here as a place of safety rather than their homeland where they would be under threat of death from their government.

Just shows the sorts of mess we land ourselves in, what with the wierd rules and regulations aired here in this thread and then the equally wierd outcome from a law that's meant to bring the situation into balance. Prime examples of what you get when people stick their oars in attempting to make inappropriate improvements - they only end up creating as many (maybe more) problems than existed in the first place.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #14
9th Engineer

The best action would probably be to remove common law marriage from the books. It doesn't serve any meaningful purpose, and it's only going to muddle things further in the future. In states allowing gay marriage for example, you'll run into trouble with people making legal comittments they never intended too. As a college student I'd have to watch my housing agreements very carefully, and make sure I never shared an apartment with anyone long enough for CLM to kick in. Sounds weird? Not really, I'm sure there are plenty of scumbag guys out there who'd take advantage of having a legal right to half my belongings. It's just too outdated to keep around.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:38 AM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If you don't graduate before CLM kicks in, then give it up.

Unless you "present" yourself as being married, you'd have to live together a very long time to be ensnared into CLM against your will. Having a kid or two would shorten that, however.

There are still places in this country where doing the paperwork and finding someone "authorized" to marry people, could be expensive and time consuming.
In the distant past, those places were not hard to find. Also in the distant past, people didn't feel right about "living in sin"...and had even stronger feelings about their neighbors, "living in sin".