The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 09-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
This is sort of food related- Sighting in my hunting guns

I took today and went to the range and sighted in my black powder gun and my .308

I can't find the .308 target I might have left it at the range or it is in the trunk of my car, who knows?

Here is the black powder target. 50 yards with iron sights and I forgot my glasses. Who knows where I'd hit with my glasses though. I was aiming for the middle of the two black squares...

Muzzle loading season isn't until Dec. Bow season starts in 8 days.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
regular.joe
Старый сержант

If you can see the front sight post, it won't matter so much if you have glasses. The target will be blurry anyways, as the human eye can only focus on one thing at any given moment. Focus on the front sight nice and clear, and the brain/mind will control all of the small muscles involved in settling the front sight center mass on the blurry target. This is because the human eye/brain/mind have a natural ability to center objects.

So, if that is your shot group, and you were focused on the front sight at 50 yards I don't think the wind has that much play, unless it was 20 MPH+ gusts. You will either have to adjust your sights, or if they are not adjustable hold off. If you don't know if you were steadily focused on the front sight, try it dry fire at home first and practice focusing on the front sight, and a target at 50 yards alternately to see the difference, and practice trigger squeeze to watch the sight play when the shot breaks. Be sure you are focused on the front sight intently and the target is blurry in the back ground. Go back to the range and you will see a better more accurate shot placement.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

How long is the typical shot in your neck of the woods? Its pretty short here so sighting in at 50 yards seems about right. Getting your bow practice in?
Old 09-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Thanks for the tips Joe. I was able to see the front sight clearly and that's what I focused on. Good to know that the blurry target is not so much of an issue. It makes sense, now that you mention it, that only one thing can be kept in focus at a time. I'll go back to the range for more practice and see if I can tighten up the group. The trigger on the muzzleloader is so light I am always surprised when the gun fires.

btw, that's a 3" target.

I'm having more trouble with the .308's groups. I'll go back to the range and work up a proper target. I suspect I am flinching. When I first started shooting it a few months ago it had the factory hard rubber butt pad and it hurt like hell to shoot a 168 grain bullet. I put a limb saver on it and now it feels like a .22

Still, at 100 yards my shots were all over the place.

Griff, around here most deer are taken at 60-100 yards despite the huge fields. Most people seem to have tree stands in the woods that border the fields.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I give shooting lessons. Cheap.

I can hit the ten ring at 400 yards with a 10x Bushnell scope with a 30.06.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

I can't even see the ten ring at 400 yards with a 10x scope.

That's about a tenth of a mil dot.

Then, there's the whole issue of steadiness...

I'd love cheap shooting lessons, but the carfare to Texas would kill me.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Put magnetized iron filings in their salt licks and use steel jacketed bullets.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
I suspect I am flinching.
The LimbSaver buttpad was a good idea.

Here's another: Work on squeezing that trigger as slowly as possible, remember, you want the gun going off to be a surprise. If the bang is a surprise, the flinch won't matter, it'll be happening after the fact. The same is true for shooting a bow, whether you use a release aid or fingers. You want that release to be a surprise.

Archery deer season opened here Sept. 1. Closes January 21.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
monster
I hear them call the tide

There were 7 players (out of 16) at Hector's hockey practice today. It's youth deer hunting season this weekend. Color this Brit shocked, even after 12 years....
Old 09-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
The LimbSaver buttpad was a good idea.

Here's another: Work on squeezing that trigger as slowly as possible, remember, you want the gun going off to be a surprise. If the bang is a surprise, the flinch won't matter, it'll be happening after the fact. The same is true for shooting a bow, whether you use a release aid or fingers. You want that release to be a surprise.

Archery deer season opened here Sept. 1. Closes January 21.
Yeah I got some snap caps and I will dial down the pull on the accutrigger. It's at the factory setting which is lighter than my horrible .22 but not as light as the muzzleloader. That's a surprise every time.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
There were 7 players (out of 16) at Hector's hockey practice today. It's youth deer hunting season this weekend. Color this Brit shocked, even after 12 years....
He has 6 girly girls on the team?
Old 09-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Ha!
Old 09-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
monster
I hear them call the tide

Just saw a deer strapped on the trunk of a car with blood trickling down the paintwork. Hec took a pic but it's on his iPod which it being used for a skype with Banana Lady right now.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

With the number of people on food stamps, I doubt many deer will go to waste this year.