The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 10-20-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

In Oxford with John Barrowman

Sorry, there are no photos of the beautiful and historic city of Oxford!
It was a grim, drizzly day, the streets were crowded, the 'rents were cold and hungry and I was only there to see John Barrowman at a book signing!

But it did remind me how much I love the city, so I promise to go back before Christmas and show you some of its perhaps less known beauty. And some of the pubs

We all went on the bus - I left at 09.00 to get to the bookstore as early as possible. Arrived at 10.15 for a 13.00 signing. I was 13th in the queue! There are people out there even madder than I am.

Mum & Dad didn't leave home til 11.00. Much more sensible. They came to find me then went off to have tea and a scone, coming back to take photos at 13.00.

He was late of course. People always are in my experience. But one glimpse of him in his lovely baby-pink jumper and I forgave him. Mum is not great at working the camera. I'd have come back with about 12 different shots if it had been the other way round. Still, I have my record of the day.

First pic is the person before me. Obviously.
In the second pic he is definitely not saying, "Who the hell is this woman?!" He is just looking away from my female charms in case I turn him straight.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Then off to Yo Sushi! Because Mum had raved about it to Dad. No photos there. Too busy nom nom nom. Dad didn't seem too keen to start. I didn't realise he had so much trouble with chopsticks. The chef cooking in front of us noticed before I did, and introduced Dad to the easy-eat chopsticks (think mini-salad tongs made out of tongue-depressors!) Things went a lot better after that.

Then to Freud's, a cafe-bar based in a huge de-sanctified church. I first went there for cocktails 19 years ago! Bloody hell I feel old. Of course my parents love a good cocktail, and Mum was impressed that I advised her to get the barman's advice on what to have. "I never thought of doing that before!" Bless. However, she and Dad had a second one, and she ordered the same so as not to offend him. Sigh.

A shot of the 'rents and an idea of the decoration.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Then back home all together on the bus, lurching through the Oxon and Bucks countryside and the rain. Tired but happy - it felt like a long day.

And I have my prizr to enjoy. Oh, it's his second book and is called I Am What I Am and very jolly with lots of yummy pictures. I'm happy to lend it out, but if you damage it or stick any of the photos together, I will have to kill you.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
Cloud

SQUEAL!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
impress
It's better to be pissed off than pissed on.

Frigging AWESOME.
SD, you look so much like your mom! Lovely family.
It sounds like you had a great day and a few wonderful momentos of it, t'boot.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

So very cool! I don't usually have the patience to stand in an autograph line like that. I love that your parents were adventurous enough to go to a sushi restaurant!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I forgot to mention that it was actually a fun 2.5 hours in the queue too. We stood up, we sat down on the floor; the first nine got seats and did offer them on rotation to the next six (the others were further away because the queue crossed a fire exit) so we sat on seats too.
Behind me was a young chap who seemed taciturn at first, but I warmed to as we got talking. I assumed he was gay, but turned out he was a pre-op female to male TG with a girlfriend. We had a really interesting conversation, although it turned out about the only things we really had in common was a love of musicals and John Barrowman. That's enough though!

A couple of people further up were a talkative Merkin (aren't you all?) and a lady with very bushy grey hair and a John Barrowman jacket, who I went with in search of the Ladies. They both complimented me on my hair and we had a good laugh.

The shop played John Barrowman constantly - good job he has three solo albums and is on musical albums... I wonder what they do with one-hit wonders? Meh - a bookshop in Oxford promoting the book of a one-hit wonder? It might happen, but it doesn't seem immediately likely.

We all watched eachother's bags and places and coats as we individually snuck off for coffee/ wee breaks/ cigarettes etc. Brits just love to queue. And some Americans too I guess.

Wolf, I took Mum for sushi on our last John Barrowman trip, to see La Cage Aux Folles on its opening night. THAT was her first time eating it - I know she's pretty open with food choices, and I figured the novelty of the conveyor belt would win her round. It did, and she talked about it so excitedly to Dad that he agreed to try it. Then as now it was a Monday - all dishes at the Blue Plate price of £2.20. And we didn't show him the beer menu (naughty, because he loves Sapporo) but instead had unlimited water. £18.40 all in. Pretty damn good for the whole experience of eating sushi with them both. And now I know he loves chicken teriaki.

Last edited by Sundae; 10-20-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

What a great day for you all! Thanks for sharing SG!!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #9
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I know the answer is going to be, "Google it, you lazy fuck", but who is John Barrowman?
Old 10-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
Cloud

Star of the Dr. Who spinoff Torchwood
Old 10-21-2009, 01:10 AM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
I know the answer is going to be, "Google it, you lazy fuck", but who is John Barrowman?
The guy in the pink sweater, trying to get SG's autograph.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:36 AM   #12
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
The guy in the pink sweater, trying to get SG's autograph.

'Spode, JB is star of stage and small screen.
He was a leading man in the West End for years, before getting the small part of Captain Jack Harkness in Dr Who. The audience reaction was so positive he was brought back and then given the lead in Torchwood - which was basically written as a vehicle for him.

He has any number of albums out, mostly although not exclusively songs from musicals and ballads. And two books, co-written with his sister. He's had his own Saturday night tv show on BBC1, and has appeared in many other shows as a guest performer. He's pretty big here.

At the moment he's in talks with the producers of Desperate Housewives, so you might get to see him after all. Oh, and he's going to be in panto in Cardiff Dec-Jan. Mum and I are going down for the weekend, and I have tickets to the last show. Disappointed she doesn't want to come to the show with me, but perhaps she suspects I might embarrass her. As if - for once I'll be allowed to shout at the stage! (I explain pantomime halfway through this post, if you're confused).

Two more shots from Dad's camera. Turns out he's not great with a camera either. Aren't I mean? Drag them along to see my current hero and expert professional quality photos too

One to show that man trying to give me his number again, the next to show the crush. That's not the official queue either, that was held back by Borders staff and went through the shop, out the front door and all the way round the corner.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #13
Cloud

I don't think you mentioned what book it was?
Old 10-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I did
But FTR - Anything Goes is the first one and I Am What I Am is the second. Yeah, actually - didn't mention both!

Not posting to correct you, darlin'.
More to say, look out after 2 November on YouTube. He's on Celebrity Family Fortunes (US = Family Feud).
It's bound to show up there at some point. Team Barrowman = JB, Scott (partner), Mum, Dad & Carole (sister). Can't wait.

He's on the Beeb's Children in Need Around the World in 80 Days with Mylene Klass also, but I know the BBC are much stricter on YouTube clips. Hmmm. Might start a generic Torchwood/ Barrowman thread. I'm not a proper fangurl, ie it won't feature every single one of his appearances (who has that much energy?!) and certainly not OMG JB is gorgeous I so love him etc. But I can put in my trips and Torchwood news and fun and chips and dips and stuff.

Keep it off the rest of the board so those not interested (99.9%) aren't sucked in anyway. Wow - I'm so full of good ideas, I need to make sure my foot doesn't fall off.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #15
Cloud

Quote:
Face life with a little guts and lots of glitter
just as long as they're not mixed together!