The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
Pie
Gone and done

Question Power on a Boeing 777

So, United Airlines says they have something called "EmPower" available in Business Class on their 777s. I'm going to be stuck in one of those tin cans for over 26 hours in the course of a week; I need power for my PalmPilot (with books, magazines, games and music, not a bad entertainment unit!)
So, has anyone gotten a power adapter for their laptop? Or for USB devices? Any recommendations? The PC is a Dell D600, and the PDA takes USB or wall outlet.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:57 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Are they letting electronics on board these days?
Old 09-21-2006, 07:55 AM   #3
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Are they letting electronics on board these days?
On domestic flights, yes. Don't know about international.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:17 AM   #4
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie
So, United Airlines says they have something called "EmPower" available in Business Class on their 777s. I'm going to be stuck in one of those tin cans for over 26 hours in the course of a week; I need power for my PalmPilot (with books, magazines, games and music, not a bad entertainment unit!)
So, has anyone gotten a power adapter for their laptop? Or for USB devices? Any recommendations? The PC is a Dell D600, and the PDA takes USB or wall outlet.
When I flew to the UK, it was cheaper to buy an additional 4-hour battery for my HP Pavillion ZV5220us than to upgrade the ticket to First Class so I could have power at the seat. Belden makes a power adapter that worked with the outlets in the UK, and my PDA watch recharges from the USB.

Of course today my batteries might be suspected of being a bomb. And they might be...but I don't think they were made by Sony.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:26 AM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Originally, seat power was supposed to be provided by a customized small plug that received commands from the plane as to whether the receptacle could be powered and to limit that power. A special adapter plug, called Empower, was required. Since then, I have seen an Empower plug that was, instead, a receptacle that could accept the power plug from most any country including America, British, Japanese, and Eastern Europe. Those universal plugs required no adaptor; accepted any conventional AC power plug.

Furthermore, I have seen references to power being limited to 75 watts or 150 watts. I have also seen references to air line that require you to remove batteries when operating portable appliances.

I don't know what Empower means. So I assume it means a power plug - no special adaptor - that can power with 120 VAC any of the world's AC power plugs.

Why 120 VAC? Because any portable device that cannot operate from 90 to 265 volts automatically is defective - unacceptable in today's electronic marketplaces. Even a computer with a Bulgarian power plug should work just fine at 120 VAC - assuming it does not draw too much power.

Would be most interested to learn how much of the above speculation is true.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:28 AM   #6
Pie
Gone and done

I'll let you know how it works out. Most of my compadres are ditching their pcs for the trip because of export issues, so I'll have my PDA, iPod and camera to worry about.
Thanks for the feedback, all.