The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 07-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Afghanistan in the 50s & 60s

Some surprising photographs of Afghanistan like this one.
Quote:
Original caption: "Kabul University students changing classes. Enrollment has doubled in last four years."
The physical campus of Kabul University, pictured here, does not look very different today. But the people do. In the 1950s and '60s, students wore Western-style clothing; young men and women interacted relatively freely. Today, women cover their heads and much of their bodies, even in Kabul. A half-century later, men and women inhabit much more separate worlds.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

In the late 70's I worked with a guy from Kabul. He was from a family of 14 kids. He seemed pretty normal, a bit shy. I asked him about his siblings and he told me about 5 of them had died very young. I was really shocked and asked him how they'd died, and he said, rather nonchalantly, "You know, sometimes it's too cold, or there isn't enough food, or you get sick..."

You know?

Up until then, I didn't know people still lived in the early 1800s.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

So wait, 5 of the 14 had died? Or 5 died and another 14 lived?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

5/14ths died.

Though a few years ago I was teaching photography at a Vermont college and two of my students came from big families. One from a family of 17 kids, the other 18 kids. Day-um. (Did your mother live in a shoe?)
Old 07-28-2010, 04:13 AM   #5
casimendocina
Professor

I wish that I'd been old enough in the early-mid 70s to have travelled through Afghanistan.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:27 AM   #6
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

If you want a look at older Afghanistan and the changes, a good book is The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. One of the best books I've read, methinks.

Followed up by A Thousand Splendid Suns, which shows the lives of two Afghan women. Breathtaking book.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
Beest
Adapt and Survive

I've said this before somewhere but. I remember a report on the radio where they discussed that the current ultra conservatism in muslim countries was a newer movement that came about in the late '60s ( or so ?) Older people remember when things were much more less restrictive, especially for women, in many parts of the muslim world, as pictured in the OP in Afghanistan.
In the modern rhetoric these counties are often reffered to as stuck in the Dark Ages, when in fact they only Europes Dark Ages and at that same time the muslim world was the cradle of science and learning for the world.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

We were talking about this at the salle last night. I was wondering aloud how much impact warring with the West had made (am back to reading The Siege of Vienna) when a guy mentioned two things which probably harmed them more. Good Muslims can't charge interest and instead of giving property to the oldest male heir they traditionally split things up evenly. Specific to Afghanistan, I'd say a lot of the problem was the conflict between communism and liberal democracy exacerbated by isolation.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:31 AM   #9
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
If you want a look at older Afghanistan and the changes, a good book is The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. One of the best books I've read, methinks.

Followed up by A Thousand Splendid Suns, which shows the lives of two Afghan women. Breathtaking book.
I read both last year (in Spanish....they both sounded very translated, but perhaps because they were translated into Spanish-Spanish rather than Latin American Spanish) while on my 6 month subsidised holiday in Northern Chile. Well worth reading and I'd recommend them to anyone although they were both very hard to read in terms of some of the subject matter.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote