The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 12-21-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
glatt

Thanks, my friends.

I weigh about 155-160 and am 6'2". I'm slim (or skinny, depending on if you want to be complementary or mean.)

I always thought I was this way because of my genes, the food I eat, and my moderate activity. But no. At least, not entirely. It's my friends - the germs in my guts. They did it. I knew they were there, and helped me digest food. But I didn't realize how good to me they are. They aren't the hard workers like the germs in some other people's guts. People with the efficient germs end up getting more calories from the food they eat. And they get fatter as a result. So I just want to publicly thank my lazy germs. I hope they stick around and continue to slack off, doing just enough to get by. Here's to the underachievers! Hopefully, people with the hard working and productive germs will someday have lazy germs like my friends.

Gut Microbes Give Us Clues To Obesity Cause And Treatment

This news just amazes me. It's groundbreaking. I love science.

One thing that amazes me even more is when I consider that back when food was more scarce in "caveman times", the efficient bacteria were the kind you would want to have in your gut. I would have died of starvation back then, because my bacteria wouldn't be up to the task of wringing every last calorie out of the scarce food I'd find. But today, in the land of plenty, these under-performing bugs are serving me well.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:02 AM   #2
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I'm waitin' for the pill, here!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

I am eating a bag of Poore Brothers Original potato chips as I read this. I'm gonna see if I can get the Nature article. Very interesting.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:13 AM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

One day my chunky brothers and sisters will rise from the ash heap of despair and humiliation and just spank all naturally thin people on their scrawny, fleshless bottoms. The bacteria will be pleased by this.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:16 AM   #5
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
One day my chunky brothers and sisters will rise from the ash heap of despair and humiliation and just spank all naturally thin people on their scrawny, fleshless bottoms. ...
Especially the ones who think we eat too much and don't exercise enough.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:18 AM   #6
LabRat

For those without the access I am lucky to have:

News and Views
Nature 444, 1009-1010 (21 December 2006) Published online 21 December 2006

Matej Bajzer and Randy J. Seeley

Much has been said and written about the sequencing of the human genome, and the research avenues that it has opened up. But our own genome is not the only one with which we need to be concerned. In particular, trillions of bacteria — collectively referred to as the microbiota — reside in our gastrointestinal tracts (Fig. 1), and each brings its own genome to this genetic party.

Reports by Gordon and colleagues1, 2 on pages 1022 and 1027 of this issue explore the potential relationship between the types of microbiota found in the gut and the regulation of body weight. Although there is no doubt that human genetics plays a large part in determining body weight3, it is equally undisputed that the increase in prevalence of obesity over the past 25 years cannot be attributed to changes in the human genome4. The inference is that other factors are responsible, such as the availability of inexpensive, calorically dense foods, or the reduction in physical activity in our daily lives. The work described by Gordon and colleagues1, 2 raises the possibility that our gut bacteria are another factor that contributes to differences in body weight among individuals.

Diverse evidence points to the importance of biological control systems that result in a close match between caloric intake and caloric expenditure. For the vast majority of humans (including obese individuals), caloric intake exceeds caloric expenditure by less than 1%, but even these small differences can accumulate over years to lead to detrimental increases in body weight4. The body's ability to match caloric intake to caloric expenditure is the result of the brain's ability to monitor the amount of fat in the body through changes in the levels of circulating hormones. One such hormone is leptin, the levels of which increase with increasing body fat5. Leptin deficiency in mice and humans results in unrestrained caloric intake and low caloric expenditure, with a consequent rapid increase in body weight6. Similarly, falling leptin levels are a primary reason for the difficulty in maintaining weight loss.

The two reports1, 2 compare the genetic material collected from the microbiota in the gut of lean and obese mice and humans to assess the relative abundance of various types of bacterium. The two predominant populations of microbiota in both the mouse and the human gut are members of the bacterial groups known as the Firmicutes and the Bacteroidetes (Box 1). The authors1 studied a small number of obese humans, and found that the proportion of the genetic material from Firmicutes was higher than the proportion in lean individuals. Moreover, when obese individuals lost weight over a year, the proportion from Firmicutes became more like that of lean individuals.

In the second report2, the authors describe how differences in the microbiota of lean and obese mice confirmed this result, with obese mice having a higher proportion of intestinal Firmicutes. Importantly, the microbiota of obese mice was rich in genes encoding enzymes that break down otherwise indigestible dietary polysaccharides. These differences seem to have functional consequences, as obese mice had more fermentation end-products and fewer calories remaining in their faeces than lean mice. Thus, the bacteria in obese mice seemed to assist their host in extracting extra calories from ingested food that could then be used as energy.

These two results collectively suggest that obesity alters the nature of the intestinal microbiota, but they do not prove that different relative proportions of bacteria can lead to different body weights. To test this possibility, the authors performed a clever experiment in which the microbiota of obese, leptin-deficient mice was transferred to lean, microbe-free recipient mice2. Over a two-week period, mice given the microbiota from obese mice extracted more calories from their food and had a modest fat gain that was statistically greater than that of mice receiving microbiota from lean mice. Taken together, these data suggest that differences in the efficiency of caloric extraction from food may be determined by the composition of the microbiota, which, in turn, may contribute to differential body weights.

This is a potentially revolutionary idea that could change our views of what causes obesity and how we depend on the bacteria that inhabit our gut. But a great deal remains poorly understood. Most notably, it is not clear whether such small changes in caloric extraction can actually contribute to meaningful differences in body weight. There are few data that substantiate the predicted increased caloric extraction in obese humans. Small but persistent increases in efficiency might potentially cause the accumulation of excess body weight over long periods, but these small differences are not the cause of obesity in leptin-deficient mice. These mice have a single gene mutation that prevents the production of biologically active leptin7. The resulting increased caloric intake and reduced caloric expenditure is many times larger than the small difference in extraction that could be produced by differences in the microbiota. In fact, the differences in body fat between mice given the 'obese microbiota' and those given the 'lean microbiota' are so small that they could be accounted for entirely by the tiny differences in food intake, rather than by differences in caloric extraction.

Another unknown is why and how the make-up of the microbiota is shifted by differences in body weight. Given that acquiring food from the environment can be both calorically expensive and potentially dangerous, it would seem to be most adaptive to extract as many calories from every bite of food as possible. Moreover, if caloric extraction does become more efficient, the regulatory system would dictate that the organism responds by reducing its caloric intake. If a host organism had the ability to change its microbiota so as to increase caloric extraction, it would seem most adaptive to do so when facing famine conditions and losing weight. However, the data indicate just the opposite — the microbiota seems to be more efficient in obese humans who already have the most stored energy, and shifts to being less efficient as the subjects lose weight1.

There is also the issue of how conditions in the host organism could change the make-up of the microbiota. Low levels of leptin are a signal of starvation that triggers several changes in the neuroendocrine system that work to conserve calories6. Consequently, it would make sense that low leptin might also impart a signal to the microbiota to become more efficient at extracting calories from food. This hypothesis would fit the microbiota of the obese, leptin-deficient mice. However, in humans where obesity is associated with increased leptin, the same trends in microbiota composition are found, making it unlikely that the microbiota is responding to leptin directly. Moreover, it seems that when the bacteria are transferred to a lean mouse in which leptin is normal, the bacteria retain their 'obese' character over a two-week period. Thus, it is not clear how gut bacteria 'know' whether the host is obese or lean.

Gordon and colleagues' results1, 2 tempt consideration of how we might manipulate the microbiotic environment to treat or prevent obesity. But questions about how and why the composition of gut microbiota is regulated will have to be answered first. As we have discussed, those questions are many and various. The two papers nonetheless open up an intriguing line of scientific enquiry that will ally microbiologists with nutritionists, physiologists and neuroscientists in the fight against obesity.

References
1.) Ley, R. E., Turnbaugh, P. J., Klein, S. & Gordon, J. I. Nature 444, 1022–1023 (2006).
2.) Turnbaugh, P. J. et al. Nature 444, 1027–1031 (2006).
3.) Farooqi, I. S. & O'Rahilly, S. Endocr. Rev. doi:10.1210/er.2006-0040 (2006).
4.) Hill, J. O. Endocr. Rev. doi:10.1210/er.2006-0032 (2006).
5.) Ahima, R. S. & Flier, J. S. Nature 382, 250–252 (1996).
6.) Woods, S. C., Benoit, S. C., Clegg, D. J. & Seeley, R. J. Science 280, 1378–1383 (1998).
7.) Zhang, Y. et al. Nature 372, 425–432 (1994).
Old 12-21-2006, 11:22 AM   #7
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
Especially the ones who think we eat too much and don't exercise enough.
Yeah. Fuck them!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 12-21-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
glatt

Quote:
Most notably, it is not clear whether such small changes in caloric extraction can actually contribute to meaningful differences in body weight.
Well, that kind of takes the wind out of the sails.

What they need to try next is injecting bacteria from a skinny mouse into a fat mouse, and see if the fat mouse gets skinny if diet and exercise remain constant.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:49 AM   #9
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
Well, that kind of takes the wind out of the sails.

What they need to try next is injecting bacteria from a skinny mouse into a fat mouse, and see if the fat mouse gets skinny if diet and exercise remain constant.

Then fat turned skinny mouse goes completely out of control, binging on drugs and alcohol,ends up on Dr Phil, writes a book, hangs with Paris Hilton for a while, then dies in a food rehab clinic.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #10
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i got some fierce bacteria. that, and i'll bite the shit out of some food
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:52 AM   #11
LabRat

I'm sure that's already in the works, but I'm guessing there is something about a particular mouse/person's digestive tract that makes it more hospitable to one or the other type of bacteria. One would have to change the environment to get the other bug to flourish. Whether this could be done by altering the diet, or simple ingesting lots of the wanted bug, who knows. Certainly interesting though!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:53 AM   #12
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123
Then fat turned skinny mouse goes completely out of control, binging on drugs and alcohol,ends up on Dr Phil, writes a book, hangs with Paris Hilton for a while, then dies in a food rehab clinic.
It's like you know my mind! WOW! I am sooo gonna do that now!

PS-dying in a food induced haze must certainly be the best way to go---way, waaaaay better than a simple high. I'm in!

—James Barrie

Old 12-21-2006, 11:56 AM   #13
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Bring on the bugs! We are ready to GO...like the Thelma and Louise of bacteria diets!

(Excuse me, have to go puke up my lunch.)
Old 12-21-2006, 12:15 PM   #14
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat
I'm sure that's already in the works, but I'm guessing there is something about a particular mouse/person's digestive tract that makes it more hospitable to one or the other type of bacteria. One would have to change the environment to get the other bug to flourish. Whether this could be done by altering the diet, or simple ingesting lots of the wanted bug, who knows. Certainly interesting though!
Someone will genetically engineer low-cal bugs that don't care where they live, and sell ice cream that is infused with them.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:37 AM   #15
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

If you get too many of these bacterium it's called an overgrowth and brings about some very unpleasant side effects. Most notably you lose weight rapidly since the bacteria basically consume your food for you - thus depriving you of what you eat.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote