The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 05-09-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Homesickness -- the places you miss

Ok, I can't genuinely say I'm homesick because I still live in the city where I grew up, but I really miss Eastern Tennessee. When my fiance and I were going to different schools and visiting each other on alternating months, I spent a lot of time down there, including extended stays for two summers... and now that he's moved here, I miss it sooo much. The beautiful mountains on the horizon, the friendly people who actually wear colors, fresh vegetables from MIL's garden, genuine warm weather, the funky little shops in Chattanooga... and mostly the fact that before we lived here there was always so much time. These days we are both so busy that even though we live together now, it feels like we don't have any time to appreciate it.

I wonder if missing a place is always just another way of missing a time?

Mountains in Eastern Tennessee:

Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga:

Walking Bridge over the river:

See Rock City:

Anybody else feeling nostalgic? Wanna share?
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
jester
why so serious

even though i live here i've never seen "rock city". i do live in E TN so i see the mountains constantly - still beautiful - despite the fact that they say the air is terribly polluted because of the cars going thru cades cove. hopefully you will still visit occasionally.
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
Cloud

a little town in Mexico near Guadalajara where I partially grew up. Haven't been back since my dad's funeral in 92.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:41 PM   #4
Sperlock
Elite Elitist

I don't really miss any of the places where I grew up. I do find myself missing Boston, and I visited for the first and so far only time back in October. I also find myself wanting to go back and visit Oregon and Washington, though it has been more than a decade since I've been there, and I do not remember it all that well.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:14 PM   #5
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
a little town in Mexico near Guadalajara where I partially grew up. Haven't been back since my dad's funeral in 92.
I have to ask...which part of you grew up in Mexico, and where did the rest of you grow up? And wasn't that inconvenient?
Old 05-10-2007, 09:12 AM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I miss times, people and relationships. This means I can thing of a place with enough longing to make my throat burn, but it really isn't the place - a song can bring it back in the same way.

I'm glad I grew up where and when I did though, even if I criticised it constantly at the time. Things have changed so much in my home town now - I know that most of it is an improvement, but there are so many houses now!

I have a beautiful memory of a cold Saturday afternoon spent kissing my boyfriend in the park that was right on the edge of the town centre. A freezing fog had come down and muffled the noise of shoppers and cars, and we felt we were alone in the world, 15, gorgeous and in love. The park is a development of new flats now.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:20 AM   #7
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
I have a beautiful memory of a cold Saturday afternoon spent kissing my boyfriend in the park that was right on the edge of the town centre. A freezing fog had come down and muffled the noise of shoppers and cars, and we felt we were alone in the world, 15, gorgeous and in love. The park is a development of new flats now.
Aw... That reminds me of Grosse Point Blank: "This was my house!"
Old 05-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #8
jester
why so serious

I was born in Long Beach CA - my mom, 2 brothers & few aunts & uncles still reside there - my parents divorced when I was 6 or 7. My dad, 3 brothers & myself rode a bus to TN. Very long trip. I have only been back there 1 time since. (i've seen my mother & brothers more though). I still have a lot of memories - but when I did go back, so much had changed. It's almost like i was never there.
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #9
Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
I have to ask...which part of you grew up in Mexico, and where did the rest of you grow up? And wasn't that inconvenient?
I am a full-bodied organic hole . . . er, whole.

'Tho my hymen was left behind there, I grew a new part of me from the ancestors of that place. aka Daughter No. 1.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:00 AM   #10
Ibby
erika

I miss Maryland, but more for the people than the place.

I also really, really miss Paris, even though I was only there like, 8 days. I've GOT to go back, asap. I'm definitely moving there as soon as I get outta college.

Unless I go to London cause it's pretty close, has a better rock scene, and (most importantly) is an ENGLISH-SPEAKING city.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:06 AM   #11
Cloud

just learn French
Old 05-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #12
Ibby
erika

It's on the list, but Chinese is a bit more of a pressing concern at the moment.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #13
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
I miss Maryland, but more for the people than the place.

I also really, really miss Paris, even though I was only there like, 8 days. I've GOT to go back, asap. I'm definitely moving there as soon as I get outta college.

Unless I go to London cause it's pretty close, has a better rock scene, and (most importantly) is an ENGLISH-SPEAKING city.
Where in Maryland did you live?
Old 05-11-2007, 08:56 PM   #14
Ibby
erika

Columbia (Howard County)
Old 05-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #15
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
Columbia (Howard County)
Ah, neat. I live in Silver Spring. I used to have a big crush on a boy from Columbia, though.