The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-31-2003, 09:49 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Consumer spending for December: WAY UP

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._ec_fi/economy

We talked about this didn't we? How those news reports on Christmas retail sales have little connection to reality? News directors all want some kind of economic report, and they want a reporter stading in the middle of a mall.

All such reports that I saw this year were decidedly negative, talking about disappointed WalMart managers not getting the numbers they hoped for, and spooked retailers cutting prices even before the holiday was over.

It takes a full month for the Commerce Department to figure out how much people were actually spending. It turns out that people were buying Christmas gifts, but also new cars. Maybe the snooty Lexus Christmas cars with the big bows on top? The Commerce Department doesn't say, and ribbon manufacturers aren't talking.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 10:07 AM   #2
kerosene
Touring the facilities

The idea that over-consumption in this society is expected is a little depressing, don't ya think? I was just thinking about how we really have so much more than we will ever need (at least most people I know do.) Christmas is a neat holiday and all, but I get weary of the need to spend X amount of money in order to make it through without angry family members. Last year was different because we were all broke, but usually it is just a reason to go out and spend money. I'm thinking we could all give each other time next year...that's something I could use.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 04:35 PM   #3
russotto
Professor

Re: Consumer spending for December: WAY UP

The article doesn't deny those dismal retail reports -- non-durable goods increased only 0.2 Nov->Dec.

Durable goods made up the difference -- Jaguar had a tongue-in-cheek commercial about buying a Jaguar as a Christmas gift, maybe people just didn't understand the pseudobritish humor and bought them. Along with those Lexuses you mention.

Unfortunately they didn't give the seasonally-adjusted rate (Dec 2001 to Dec 2002)
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 09:59 PM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by case
Christmas is a neat holiday and all, but I get weary of the need to spend X amount of money in order to make it through without angry family members.
Screw the angry family members. I don't expect anything from them, and they shouldn't expect anything from me. That only leaves me with one person to buy for--Rho.

As far as the numbers that retailers actually hoped for, perhaps some are still tripping off that great 90s-booming-economy acid.

"When all else fails, lower expectations."--unknown
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote