The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 03-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Supermarket foul

I was at the supermarket yesterday (Giant) getting salad at a salad bar, and this guy in front of me -- not a salad bar customer but headed down the aisle -- brazenly reached over and grabbed a bunch of ham chunks, and continued to walk along, casually eating them.

With the tongs, thankfully. He didn't reach his bare paw into the ham bin. But he used the tongs to put the ham into his other, bare paw, and proceeded down the aisle, munching on them as he pushed his cart along.

Before he did it, he made a little glance around, looking for anyone who'd object. I think he did not see me 10 feet behind him, or figured it was a quick enough move that I wouldn't notice.

As I was trying to put together a salad at that point, it was pretty foul. I mean, I continued to get my salad and then eat it...

At the peak of my loser white-guy-ism I would never stoop so low. But I think I see what goes on. This particular Giant is falling in quality. You can tell by how the meat section is handled, by expired dairy items on the shelf. By the low light levels at the salad bar!

I've been in the supermarket industry, I've seen systems working and what happens when people can't get it done. Now the feeling transfers, from the store managers to the store workers to the customers. The customers say to themselves, if you don't give a shit, I'm not going to give a shit.

It's a failure of low expectations.

It's a little further out of my way, but I'm going to the Wegman's permanently from now on. That's how it works, Giant. This wasn't a failure of your customer. He's a foul example of a human being, but he wouldn't pull that at Wegman's. It's super well-lit and everyone gives a shit.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #2
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

There is a brand spanking new Giant in my neighborhood, and from day one the hot bar was disgusting looking. Their cook doesn't know how to make recipes that hold up on a hot bar, and/or they leave things out there FAR too long.

Plus, their fruit usually spoils quickly.

I go to Whole Foods for anything that's not prepackaged going in to the store.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:46 AM   #3
glatt

This applies to so many other things as well.

I have the Arlington County phone app that lets you report minor infrastructure problems. I freaking love the power it gives me to come across some punk's graffiti tag sprayed on a sound barrier wall. I take a picture, open the app, enter the street address, upload the picture, and in two or three days the graffiti is gone. This is a neighborhood with high expectations, punk, and you don't own it. I do.

They are way more responsive to photos than to words in that app.

I've repaired potholes, installed a missing one way street sign, cut back a bunch of undergrowth that was eating a sidewalk I use regularly, and removed lots of graffiti, all by taking pictures and tapping on my phone screen a bit.

High expectations.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:27 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So you revel in crushing the hopes and dreams of the next banksy.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #5
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
The broken window theory in action; if your store is all up front and touching, then people will follow suit.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
I was at the supermarket yesterday (Giant) getting salad at a salad bar, and this guy in front of me -- not a salad bar customer but headed down the aisle -- brazenly reached over and grabbed a bunch of ham chunks, and continued to walk along, casually eating them.
I do hope he paid for it!!!!!

Im sorry you had to see this rudeness..........
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:42 PM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

When I was a toddler, my father would always let me have three grapes at the grocery store--"one for each hand, and one for your mouth." I don't remember when he stopped doing it, but I remember being maybe 10 or 12 and suddenly remembering our little ritual, and realizing for the first time that we'd been stealing. I was horrified.

We have an online form where you can report small road issues, but I reported something over a month ago (lane markers that are not painted at all, clearly the truck missed this section of the street somehow when they came through the first time) and it still hasn't been fixed.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:04 PM   #8
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Before he did it, he made a little glance around, looking for anyone who'd object. I think he did not see me 10 feet behind him, or figured it was a quick enough move that I wouldn't notice.
The Onion: Study Finds Average American Hopes No One Saw That 12 Times Per Day
Quote:
“Approximately every other hour, the average American will worriedly look over their shoulder and dart their eyes to make sure that no one caught a glimpse of what just took place,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
When I was a toddler, my father would always let me have three grapes at the grocery store--"one for each hand, and one for your mouth." I don't remember when he stopped doing it, but I remember being maybe 10 or 12 and suddenly remembering our little ritual, and realizing for the first time that we'd been stealing. I was horrified.
Clodfobble is Lisa Simpson...

expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote