The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-17-2004, 02:57 PM   #1
marichiko

Good Neighbor?

I don't know how to approach this, so maybe someone could give me a suggestion or two. I just moved into a small house that has a little area in the back where I'd like to put in an herb garden. Since the houses are built so close together here, I'd also like to put up a 5 foot wooden fence so I could have a little privacy in my back yard during the summer.

However, the neighbor behind me has one of those revolving clothes line poles attached to a pole right on the property line. The clothes line extends over into my would be garden area. I'd like to ask him to move it back, but I know that this would involve some work on his part, sinking in a new pole to attach the clothes line to, etc. Should I make the request and offer him some money to buy whatever new equipment he might need for this project? I'd offer to help him move it, but I'm a girl and not all that strong or clever with construction projects (I'm going to get someone else to put up my fence).

I don't want to cause bad blood with the neighbor, but his clothes line does extend about 3 feet over onto my property, and I don't think its out of line to ask him to move it.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-17-2004, 03:05 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I assume you own this property now, correct?

I would address the situation politely, but firmly...ask him to move it. You are under no obligation to defray any of the costs involved in moving it. After all, he's the one that made the error in putting it where he did.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 03:12 PM   #3
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I assume you own this property now, correct?

No, I'm renting which may make for the catch here. My landlord is giving me something off the rent if I put up the fence. I expect that I will be living here for quite sometime, however.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:15 PM   #4
elSicomoro

I would still try to talk to the guy, but if he gets too ornery or refuses to move it, have the landlord handle it.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:23 PM   #5
blue
Operations Operative

I would let it go for the time being, this can't be the most urgent issue in your life now right?

Get to know your neighbor a little first, you can always take a chainsaw after it in the middle of the night if he's a jerk, but what if he is your soul mate?
Old 04-17-2004, 03:57 PM   #6
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by blue58
I would let it go for the time being, this can't be the most urgent issue in your life now right?

Get to know your neighbor a little first, you can always take a chainsaw after it in the middle of the night if he's a jerk, but what if he is your soul mate?
No, its not the most urgent issue, but it IS Spring, and if I want my herb garden, I need to start planting now. I suppose I can go back there and start putting in my herbs and when I see my neighbor start up a little conversation about the effects of sprinklers on clothes hung out to dry.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:00 PM   #7
blue
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally posted by marichiko

I suppose I can go back there and start putting in my herbs and when I see my neighbor start up a little conversation about the effects of sprinklers on clothes hung out to dry.
YES!!! See you are fucking brilliant, and just don't know it yet. That is an incredible way to deal/approach it.

By the way, what does a herb garden take up anyway, like 2 square feet?
Old 04-17-2004, 04:04 PM   #8
elSicomoro

She's gonna need more room than that for top-quality pot.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:17 PM   #9
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
She's gonna need more room than that for top-quality pot.
Don't they grow that indoors under banks of plant lights? Actually, an herb garden can take up quite a bit of room, depending upon the number and types of plants you grow and your cultivation technique (raised beds, for example). I can't offer you anything mind alterating, but if you want some good taste bud alterating stuff and are going to be out Colorado way later this summer, I plan to have basil, rosemary, thyme, sage, salad burnet and many others.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:19 PM   #10
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:

Don't they grow that indoors under banks of plant lights?
Well, sure...but it isn't like the species evolved that way. It was just *perfected* that way.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:18 PM   #11
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:

rosemary, thyme, sage,
no no no.....you've got that all wrong. It's " parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme" in that order.

sing it with me!

are you going to marichicko fair?
parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
remember me to one who posts there
she once was a true love of mine.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 09:16 PM   #12
warch
lurkin old school

Before you do anything make sure you know the property line.
I wouldnt trust your landlord to know this if not marked by the city or township.
Putting up a fence is a bit of a deal in my town. Must be one foot in from your property line, finished side facing out, and height regulations (3-6 ft) based on where it is and what it faces. Hey, fences are expensive- why do this for someone elses property? Get rent breaks for mowing the lawn not construction. You are already paying off this guy's mortgage loan.

Also, make sure the fence wont cast more shade than the clothes line anyway.

Taking out a rotating clothes line sunk in cement is at least some form of big ass pain. (I took one out, After digging an 8 ft deep hole, I had to hire a tow truck to pull it out into the alley like a snaggly tooth)

That said, I feel your herb desires. you need sun - you could fill a couple of good draining containers and put them in the wide open wherever. Or you could go for window boxes. or dig up the front yard if there is one. Tell the landlord youre "landscaping".
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 09:41 PM   #13
blue
Operations Operative

I took one out

You sound kind of wussy to me, I've ripped out huge trees & roots myself with nothing but my bare hands and a 18" chainsaw, and some gasoline, I sill haven't got those fuckers completely out....course I don't have a friend with a tow truck.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:48 PM   #14
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by warch
Before you do anything make sure you know the property line.
I wouldnt trust your landlord to know this if not marked by the city or township.
Putting up a fence is a bit of a deal in my town. Must be one foot in from your property line, finished side facing out, and height regulations (3-6 ft) based on where it is and what it faces. Hey, fences are expensive- why do this for someone elses property? Get rent breaks for mowing the lawn not construction. You are already paying off this guy's mortgage loan.

Also, make sure the fence wont cast more shade than the clothes line anyway.

Taking out a rotating clothes line sunk in cement is at least some form of big ass pain. (I took one out, After digging an 8 ft deep hole, I had to hire a tow truck to pull it out into the alley like a snaggly tooth)

That said, I feel your herb desires. you need sun - you could fill a couple of good draining containers and put them in the wide open wherever. Or you could go for window boxes. or dig up the front yard if there is one. Tell the landlord youre "landscaping".
hmmmm....Some good points. I live in a little mountain town that is extremely hilly and the property lines were drawn and then re-drawn in the early 1900's. Some friends of mine here discovered that their bathroom is actually on their neighbor's property! I don't think anyone much cares about fences, though. This town is still pretty wild west when it comes to zoning codes!
Old 04-17-2004, 09:54 PM   #15
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim

no no no.....you've got that all wrong. It's " parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme" in that order.

sing it with me!

are you going to marichicko fair?
parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
remember me to one who posts there
she once was a true love of mine.
Have her find me an acre of land
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
Between the sea and over the sand
And then she'll be a true love of mine.

Plow the land with the horn of a lamb
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
Then sow some seeds from north of the dam
And then she'll be a true love of mine.

My idea of a little herb garden is beginning to feel a bit like that. And the beat goes on...