The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-17-2004, 03:21 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

8/17/2004: Traditional Afghan rugs now display war

At first glance they look like the rugs woven for hundreds of years by the tribal peoples of Afghanistan. But instead of traditional abstract motifs such as water jugs, chickens, blossoms and horses, these rugs depict tanks, paisley-shaped helicopters, jets, hand grenades and Kalashnikov rifles.

Swordsmen on horseback had been the most martial images found on tribal rugs, up until the Soviets invaded Afghanistan in 1979. But the invasion gave Afghans an abrupt introduction to modern warfare. As Afghan men rose up to fight, women (for nearly all rugs are woven by women) began weaving these new sights into their rugs.

And the rug above is really special: because the woman who wove it inserted her own image into it, secretly. The three bombers across the top there, in red, green, red, are not bombers at all. They are women in burqas. From warrug.com:

Quote:
Given that the weavers and artists warrug.com proudly supports are the poster-people for oppression, we would be absolutely remiss to not point out that the artist of this rug is saying –I am here. This is my story-. The Taliban strictly follows the laws of the Qu’ran that forbids the depiction of any living thing (when you call to order this rug, ask one of our sales representatives to tell you an interesting story about this shr’ia law). The artist would have been stoned for depicting herself, so she subtly hides the image within the other weaponry, making the formless shape of the burka cleverly resemble a plane. This is a piece of art that truly tells the story of the weaver. Where she lived, when, and how. An excellent reminder to us all how far we have come in the fight for women’s rights here in America, and how far we still need to go.
And you can buy them at warrug.com

Forbes article
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:59 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sunday, I sent them an email telling them that on rug 309, I think they misidentified a H-46 Sea Knight as a CH-47 Chinook. Just trying to help.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:34 PM   #3
Leah
Love my Heffalumps

On ya Bruce , you're always there to lend a helping hand.
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:35 PM   #4
garnet

What a beautiful rug--it's really a piece of artwork.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:37 PM   #5
mmmBoy
El Queso Grande

Nice, but I get all my war rugs at warcarpets.com. It's sort of like the whole pets.com vs petco.com thang, only with disturbing carpets instead of chewy toys and leashes.

BTW, those Twin Towers rugs with the bodies falling and the mis-spelled English are just plain creepy.
mmmBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:41 PM   #6
Leah
Love my Heffalumps

God I just had a look at all the other rugs made, those people are friggin sick to make such things.
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:42 PM   #7
warch
lurkin old school

I used to work for a import textile company and I saw a series of these in the late 80s. Beautifully made and really, really haunting. They were mixed into a shipment of traditional patterns.

Its kind of, but not exactly, like the pieced and embroidered Hmong story cloths. image of story cloth These narrative pieces were started in Thai refugee camps to try and record.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:13 PM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

UT--Nobody cares about the disenfranchised women of the Middle East! For shame! Actually, no one cares about women at all--if they did there would be more love, less war. In the immortal words of our Haiku master--NBN--LOOK IT UP!

With the advent of the linear alphabet, the demise of the goddess was secured.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:58 PM   #9
Nothing But Net
Professor

Let me go on record that I support the liberation of women from oppressive clothing.

Even so little as a thong cannot be comfortable to the wearer.
Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 09:37 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
UT--Nobody cares about the disenfranchised women of the Middle East! For shame! Actually, no one cares about women at all--if they did there would be more love, less war. In the immortal words of our Haiku master--NBN--LOOK IT UP!

With the advent of the linear alphabet, the demise of the goddess was secured.
You've been drinking, haven't you?
Old 08-18-2004, 01:45 AM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Some feminist wacko wrote a book about the alphabet thing a couple years ago.

Those rugs have been around since the Russians tried to invade Afghanistan.

I really like the one with the crossed AKs. Very cool. Would look lovely in my entryway.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 06:39 AM   #12
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah
God I just had a look at all the other rugs made, those people are friggin sick to make such things.
I don't see how the tanks and bombs and war machines are any more sick than weaving rugs with swordsmen on horseback featured. The women are weaving about their lives and about what they say. I'm sure if Afghanistan was currently being invaded and set upon by armies of sword wielding horsemen, then they would still show up in the rugs. Same subject, different era, that's all.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:56 AM   #13
Katkeeper
Hoodoo Guru

I want one!
Katkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 12:26 PM   #14
axlrosen
Major Inhabitant

Quote:
The artist would have been stoned for depicting herself, so she subtly hides the image within the other weaponry, making the formless shape of the burka cleverly resemble a plane.
It makes for a poignant story, but I call BS. The women weaving these rugs are no less devout Muslims than the men. If Islamic law said it's blasphemous to put an image of a living thing in the rug, they are not going to break that law.

We can find ambigious hidden meanings and secrets in just about anything if we try hard enough, that doesn't mean they're really there. It's a bit too much Bible Code or Da Vinci Code for me.

I think they're just planes.
axlrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 12:37 PM   #15
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by axlrosen
The women weaving these rugs are no less devout Muslims than the men. If Islamic law said it's blasphemous to put an image of a living thing in the rug, they are not going to break that law.
My understanding is that it was the Taliban's interpretation of Islamic law that the women were trying to get around. I don't think the Afghan women were big fans of the Taliban.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote