The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Pink (and white) champagne

Probably indulging in a little too much of it ... having finished the worst of my degree and having spent the afternoon planning out each month of the next year or so ... plus doing all the pre-op stuff for my final surgery and hoping my disease stays quiet for the next while ... I'm in a strange place tonight.

Nothing turns out as you plan. Is that true? Or does it? Have you proceeded along a planned, predictable road and had things go as you expected? Some of my relatives and acquaintances seem to have trodden that road. I missed the on-ramp for that one. But did it work out for you?

Or do things jump up and slap you in the face and turn you in a different direction? Do you find that, just as you think you've figured out your life, calamity turns everything upside down?

Does calamity mean that good things come out of bad? Is change always good?

Nothing is predictable here. This afternoon I did a consult in which I was 'the expert'; in the next hour I was called FAT not once but several times by a surgical resident during my pre-op appointment (my BMI is 24 - not perfect, but I have lost 7 lb during the past week and am heading toward a goal BMI of 18). And this weekend I'm heading to Columbus, OH (!) on a road trip with three quirky men, to qualify to write the new exam, under the new federal regs, for DOT medical examiner. It promises to be a quirky weekend. I do hope it will be.

For tonight I'm drinking pink (and white) champagne and taking a Zen approach to life. Grateful and prepared for the quirky. But ... do you plan your life? Does calamity cause good things to happen? Are road trips a good thing?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
You're cute when you post buzzed. I can almost hear the slurring.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
orthodoc

Granted, I'm all over the place. But wouldn't you be drinking oatmeal stout if you were in my shoes? I'd be drinking oatmeal stout only I don't have any. And, for your information, I'm not slurring. It's handy being able to type and not having to say anything.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

If you dont have a plan you cant change it ,
Congrats on surviveing every thing you have been thru ,
Life aint done ,or done with you yet, so have some You fun every now and then !
Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc
Does calamity mean that good things come out of bad? Is change always good?
This morning on the radio I heard a pretty awful rap song, which nonetheless contained what I thought was a cute little nugget of wisdom in the lyrics: 'The grass isn't greener on the other side, the grass is greener on the side you water.' We want to compare our lives to some mythical non-calamity-containing version, but the truth is no one's life is really like that. Maybe a change that looks bad is actually much better than what would have happened otherwise, we can't possibly know. Easier to just water your grass and not concern yourself with what didn't happen. Change isn't all good or all bad, change just is.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
orthodoc

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose. Now, that I know is true. Maybe that's all there is.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
orthodoc

Maybe the same is good. I just listened to a long monologue on someone's day, and how this is his life, and how complicated it is. Would've been fine, except that I had a few issues of my own to discuss that simply disappeared under the weight of the prolonged rant. But maybe if I aired my frustrations, it would just encourage narcissism in me. Maybe I'd become that person I can't stand to listen to. So maybe not getting to air my issues is a good thing.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Ocean's Edge
is a beach

we've always worked to a 5 year plan .. hence the blog name The Plan® - however it always seems to be a constantly evolving thing - sometimes things go just the way we meant them to, but more often than not something weird / unexpected happens that sends us down ... not so much a new direction, just rather a twist in the path ....

and we DO love a nice bottle of Pink
Old 05-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #9
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
This morning on the radio I heard a pretty awful rap song, which nonetheless contained what I thought was a cute little nugget of wisdom in the lyrics: 'The grass isn't greener on the other side, the grass is greener on the side you water.' We want to compare our lives to some mythical non-calamity-containing version, but the truth is no one's life is really like that. Maybe a change that looks bad is actually much better than what would have happened otherwise, we can't possibly know. Easier to just water your grass and not concern yourself with what didn't happen. Change isn't all good or all bad, change just is.
That is a great nugget. As for the awful rap song, stop listening to Christian rap music.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
glatt

I'm not a fan of long term plans. Short term plans are great. For the long term, I like to generally set up my life in such a way that things are more inclined to go well and then just take each day, week, season, as it comes. I save for retirement, I save for kids' college, but don't consider them to be plans. If I ever get to retirement, it will be good to have a large nest egg, so I save. And so on. If I were the kind of person who made long term plans, I probably wouldn't have just celebrated my 22nd anniversary in this job. Planning long term takes too much energy.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote