The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 12-09-2001, 02:43 AM   #1
dave

Why does Slashdot...

suck so bad?

And why do I keep reading it?

What a fucking productivity waster. I think I wish it would just up-n-die.

Who else finds themselves refreshing that fucking page every 10 minutes?
Old 12-09-2001, 02:52 AM   #2
jaguar
whig

I find is better now.
The Register
Old 12-09-2001, 11:10 AM   #3
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Re: Why does Slashdot...

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
Who else finds themselves refreshing that fucking page every 10 minutes?
Yo.

Although I've been known to sometimes just keep the headlines coming up in a gnews applet. Like anything else, the quality of the information is variable, and there are vast hordes of trolls of various stripes. Nonetheless, they are in general pretty true to their mission of "news for nerds, stuff that matters". I follow The Register too, but it's rather a different place.

Just noticed they now have a journal and "friends" system. Tony, is that you as /. user "undertoad", user 104182?

Ha! *my* /. number is 10193. :-)

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 11:47 AM   #4
dave

Tony is "Tony Shepps".

UID 333.

He wins.
Old 12-09-2001, 02:24 PM   #5
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
Tony is "Tony Shepps".

UID 333.

He wins.
I s'pose. :-) Although that makes him =billg/2 :-)

Old 12-09-2001, 03:44 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well, I had someone offer to blow me for my user number, so I must have something going on. When obviously there are 332 better choices for that sort of bribery.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 04:30 PM   #7
dave

I wonder if they were being serious I'd hope it was a female too. I can see one going for that.
Old 12-10-2001, 02:05 PM   #8
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Well, I had someone offer to blow me for my user number, so I must have something going on. When obviously there are 332 better choices for that sort of bribery.
Or you were refusal #333.

Uhh, you did refuse, right?
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 04:16 PM   #9
jaguar
whig

In person or e-mail or something?
He still has the number so unless he's a real bastard i guess he refused
Old 12-10-2001, 05:31 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

You can't change the user name so nobody will ever know.

Well, unless #333 starts spouting off ridiculous nonsense! Which if it were the real me, would never happen!

Actually I should think the number would be worth a lot more, so I'm holding out for better.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 09:32 AM   #11
dave

I've been reading mother fucking slashdot since mid '98, but I never registered until waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay later - 55,XXX was my first account. I dropped that account and got one in the 80,000's... but the one I post from most now (uh, bet you can't guess the username!) is in the 400,000's. If I had registered when I started reading, I'd probably have a pretty low UID. But, it occurs to me that it doesn't fucking matter because slashdot is going the way of the buffalo. Mark my words.
Old 12-11-2001, 10:53 AM   #12
lisa
Etherial

*sigh* Just like everything else that VA Linux (oops, sorry... VA Software) has done.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 11:00 AM   #13
MaggieL

I agree with Tony: /. uid 333 should be worth more than *one* blowjob....even if it was a very, very good blowjob.

But that won't always be true. It will take very good market timing to know when to call the broker and say "*sell*!".

Old 12-11-2001, 11:18 AM   #14
dave

Slashdot is going the way of the buffalo because the intelligent posters are migrating toward other forums while the trolls and crapflooders overrun the stories. Add to that the fact that the journalistic integrity there is NIL (Chris DiBona is especially irritating, as well as CmdrTaco) and you have a losing combination. Not only can I *not* trust what I read there, but there's so little intelligent discussion that reading it is an insult to my intelligence (and yours, too). The intelligent posts hardly ever get modded up, many of the lame posts hardly ever get modded down. It sucks. That's why I hate the fact that I reload that page every 10 minutes - it is habit, and one that has formed over the past 3 years. I have visited that page 100 times daily for over 3 years now, and I am in such a habit of doing so that I cannot break out of it. Yet, there is never anything there for me. The karma cap, quite honestly, takes the fun out of posting. I wish "karma" didn't exist at all, because it's severely broken. At 50 points with 2 +5 mod's in the last few days (on a relatively new account, no less), I can post whatever I want and still have the +2 bonus. Many people take advantage of this. Then they get modded right back up on something else equally stupid. Slashdot used to be something special. But that quality that it once had is now rarely found. I don't know if they actually "sold out" and that caused it or what, but the fact of the matter is that Slashdot is no longer "News for Nerds". It is "Biased Articles Posted by 'Authors' That Have No Fact-Checking Ability Whatsoever". Some of it is just plain fucking bullshit - see JonKatz's article on the Afghani that emailed him.

Worst of all, Slashdot has tricked the world into thinking that it represents Linux. What a shame that is, because it's now a "community" of screaming children that drown out the intelligent conversation of respectable adults. I hate it, yet I am uncontrollably drawn to it. One day, I shall break this habit. One day...
Old 12-19-2001, 02:14 PM   #15
Ardax
Irrelevant Adulterant

Quote:
I hate it, yet I am uncontrollably drawn to it. One day, I shall break this habit. One day...
I know the feeling. I've been trying to break free of the horrible yoke that is /.

I must admit to liking the interviews though, sometimes. It at least let me stumble across Wil Wheaton's Site.

[Edit: Interviews, not reviews! Doh!]

So I've been searching for something better. Between here and K5, I think I've found some new haunts. I'm a lurker though, as is evidenced by my /. User Page.

Now if I can just work up the power to remove it from my links list...

Last edited by Ardax; 12-20-2001 at 07:36 AM.
Ardax is offline   Reply With Quote