The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 01-25-2002, 04:04 PM   #1
warch
lurkin old school

Mac Os X

Attention all Mac daddies and mamas:

I know nothing. I work in an office that knows less than I. (terrifying revelation but true)

We have a server that is currently Mac OS 9.1, because of some new web stuff we want to do, we need to upgrade to OS X to enable us to support PHP. My boss is skittish because she has heard horror stories of glitches and nightmares with OS X.
In particular she is freaked that it will mess with our Filemaker, 4D database,Now-up-to-date and other general file sharing.

What do you think? Is X rife with problems that will leave me and my coworkers bald? Or have most of the earlier kinks been ironed out?
If I push for the upgrade, will I later be taken out back and shot by an angry mob who are unable to open their files?
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 04:18 PM   #2
dave

I find MacOS X to be exceptionally stable. I think it's lovely. But that's as a user OS.

I do believe that all of the issues have been worked out. I know that Filemaker runs on OS X natively. I don't know anything about "4D Database" or "Now-Up-To-Date" - are these products? I'm willing to research them for you if you let me know exactly what you need.

The filesharing in OS X is very good - AppleShare is supported, and Samba is included as well - all one needs to do is configure it, and that's very simple with Samba's web-based administration tool.

To put it another way: I don't <b>think</b> you should have any problems, but I'm largely ignorant of exactly what you need.
Old 01-25-2002, 04:47 PM   #3
warch
lurkin old school

Quote:
I'm largely ignorant
of exactly what you need.
Bet I'm larger!
Thanks for the feedback. The database is something called 4D which comes from some company called 4th dimension. These things were here long before I was. These are records we all share. (staff of 25)

Now-up-to-date 3.6 is some older networked calendar software we all try to use...

So the biggest panic is the filesharing which sounds like it will be OK
Old 01-25-2002, 04:50 PM   #4
dave

Your boss should call Apple and talk to a knowledgable person there - tell them that you are considering upgrading your systems to a MacOS X Server setup, but you need to be sure that all of your demands are going to be met. Then she can go into them and the Apple rep can probably answer your questions (or put you in touch with someone that can). I'll look into what you've given me and see what I can find.
Old 01-25-2002, 04:57 PM   #5
Nic Name
retired

Current version of Now Up to Date runs native on OS X

http://www.poweronsoftware.com/default_spgcln.asp

and for 4th Dimension, see:

http://www.macosx-4d.com/Pages/4D.html

Last edited by Nic Name; 01-25-2002 at 04:59 PM.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 01:22 PM   #6
warch
lurkin old school

Thanks y'all.