The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Undertoad
Your Yeoman Purser
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: The Loveshack
Posts: 25,900
Obama: "I'm ready to negotiate with you, Iran." Iran: "Fuck you."

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/bl...php/boot/53612

Quote:
Echoing the refrain of other Iranian officials, (Iranian parliament speaker Ali Larijani) said he would be perfectly happy to negotiate with the United States — as long as the U.S. recognized Iran’s right to go nuclear, discontinued its support for Israel, pulled all of its bases out of the Middle East, and apologized for a litany of historical sins ranging from the atomic bombing of Hiroshima to the U.S. role in overthrowing Iranian Prime Minister Mohammad Mossadeq in 1953. He even wanted the U.S. to apologize for actions it didn’t commit, such as “encouraging Saddam Hussein to attack Iran.” This led naturally into an anti-Israel diatribe complete with pictures that Larijani held up depicting Palestinian “victims” of Israeli “atrocities.”

Having recited a long litany of America’s supposed sins, Larijani demanded: “Now with a change in tone and a few media postures, do you honestly expect this pain to go away?” If you overlook his sophistry and his mendacity, he actually raises a good point: Why would anyone in the Obama administration expect that Iran will make substantial concessions to us based on nothing more than the new president’s willingness to negotiate?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Sundae
Missing you already
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: West Yorkshire
Posts: 22,617
Oooh, get her!
Chip, shoulder, anyone?
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Little Mexico
Posts: 1,817
A hope of change and resolution of this conflict with peaceful means. But this looks like the start of WWIII or VI.
__________________
"Without deviation from the norm progress is not possible." - Frank Zappa

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
tw
Read? I only know how to write.
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 9,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
[url]Obama: "I'm ready to negotiate with you, Iran." Iran: "Fuck you."
Meanwhile who is talking and what are they saying in private channels - where actual discussions are conducted without the hyperbole for public consumption.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Middle Hoosierland
Posts: 3,228
OK, this Commentary place...are they mostly conservative or something? Because
Quote:
He even wanted the U.S. to apologize for actions it didn’t commit, such as “encouraging Saddam Hussein to attack Iran.”
just isnt really true, at least depending on who is looking at and writing the history.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
tw
Read? I only know how to write.
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 9,454
Meanwhile, because the US is not talking with belligerence, the Iranian Reformers are attempting to regain power. Khatami, the former reform President announced a bid for reelection.

The entire reform movement in Iran was devastated when George Jr all but declared war on Iran with his 'axis of evil' threats. For the Iranian reform movement, it has been downhill since. American threats have encouraged all Iranians to support wacko extremists and more military weapons. Iranians did exactly what any people would do when overtly threatened. Remove those threats and Iran may again embrace reformists.

Current Iranian comments come from those extremists who have the same attitude as Cheney. Can Khatami get reelected?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
lumberjim
Valar Morghulis
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 20,911
__________________
Monkey killing monkey killing monkey.
Over pieces of the ground.
Silly monkeys give them thumbs.
They make a club.
And beat their brother, down... mjk-tool
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
sugarpop
Professor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: the edge of the abyss
Posts: 1,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Meanwhile, because the US is not talking with belligerence, the Iranian Reformers are attempting to regain power. Khatami, the former reform President announced a bid for reelection.

The entire reform movement in Iran was devastated when George Jr all but declared war on Iran with his 'axis of evil' threats. For the Iranian reform movement, it has been downhill since. American threats have encouraged all Iranians to support wacko extremists and more military weapons. Iranians did exactly what any people would do when overtly threatened. Remove those threats and Iran may again embrace reformists.

Current Iranian comments come from those extremists who have the same attitude as Cheney. Can Khatami get reelected?
I agree and hope that they (reformists) can regain momentum. The Iranian people really do want a secular government. At least, most of them do.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
Undertoad
Your Yeoman Purser
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: The Loveshack
Posts: 25,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Meanwhile, because the US is not talking with belligerence, the Iranian Reformers are attempting to regain power. Khatami, the former reform President announced a bid for reelection.
So much for that notion, Khatami annouces he is out
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
Undertoad
Your Yeoman Purser
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: The Loveshack
Posts: 25,900
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/wo...11iran.html?hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTimes
After the icy mutual hostility of the Bush era, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran on Tuesday made a conditional offer of dialogue to the Obama administration, saying Tehran was ready for "talks based on mutual respect and in a fair atmosphere."

But he coupled the offer with an attack on former President Bush, calling for him to be "tried and punished" for his policies and actions in the Middle East and the Persian Gulf region.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #11
sugarpop
Professor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: the edge of the abyss
Posts: 1,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/wo...11iran.html?hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTimes
After the icy mutual hostility of the Bush era, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran on Tuesday made a conditional offer of dialogue to the Obama administration, saying Tehran was ready for "talks based on mutual respect and in a fair atmosphere."

But he coupled the offer with an attack on former President Bush, calling for him to be "tried and punished" for his policies and actions in the Middle East and the Persian Gulf region.
I agree with that. In fact, I think Bush should be investigated and tried for war crimes, among other things.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:31 PM   #12
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Posts: 21,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
In fact, I think Bush should be investigated and tried for war crimes, among other things.
__________________
Anyone but the this most fuked up President in History in 2012!
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #13
footfootfoot
This Space For Rent
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: in the house and on the street
Posts: 15,748
Someone refresh my memory, why is the neutron bomb frowned upon?
__________________
So there are times I regret my Faustian pact for busters bigger than my head. - Sundae

...in the midst of my otherwise blonde and soft body... - Clodfobble (at her worst)
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #14
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Posts: 21,393
It killed people but not property. It was deemed inhumane. WTF?

Personally I thought it was a great idea.
__________________
Anyone but the this most fuked up President in History in 2012!
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:21 AM   #15
footfootfoot
This Space For Rent
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: in the house and on the street
Posts: 15,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
It killed people but not property. It was deemed inhumane. WTF?

Personally I thought it was a great idea.
Me too. Especially since the half life of Tritium is about 12 years. Pretty clean environment in a couple of decades. After reading a wiki article on it there was this ominous quote:
"One significant drawback of the weapon is that not all targeted troops will die or be incapacitated immediately. After a brief bout of nausea, many of those hit with about 5-50 Sv of radiation will experience a temporary recovery (the latent or "walking ghost phase"[12]) lasting days to weeks. Moreover, these victims would likely be aware of their inevitable fate and react accordingly."
__________________
So there are times I regret my Faustian pact for busters bigger than my head. - Sundae

...in the midst of my otherwise blonde and soft body... - Clodfobble (at her worst)
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.

Help fill the mug... click to donate
Early to rise and early to bed... Makes a man healthy, wealthy and dead.
- James Thurber

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.