The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2005, 07:18 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Did I just get ripped off?

I have been dealing with our local service station for years. They do a decent job but it always seems that their prices are just a tad high.

Well, when I got my inspection in the fall, the Ford dealership told me that I would need new brakes sometime this year on my 2003 Ford Focus ZTW wagon.

Sure, enough yesterday my brakes started making a grinding noise.

I took it to the service station, not the dealership, because the dealership had told me that their parts department charges $100 for rotors.

The service station called me and told me that it would be $450 for front and back with new rotors.

The dealership price for front and back with one set of new rotors was $480. An additional $60 if the rear rotors had to be machined.

I picked up the car and immediately returned it because the brakes are soft, so they have it for another day. Looking at the bill, they charged for machining the front and back rotors, not replacing them.

Here are the charges.

Labor Disc brake pads (front?) - 65.00
Labor Machine rotors front 42.70
Labor Disc brake pads (rear?) - 97.50
Labor Machine rotors rear 42.50

The front and rear with question marks are because the charges do not specify front or rear for the replacement, only for the machining.

Parts Disc Brake pads 96.89
Parts Disc Brake pads 66.99

Totals - Labor 247.90 Parts - 163.88\

SHOP charge 12.35 (What the heck is this?)

Subtotal 424.13 + tax 25.45

The mechanic told me new rotors, which is why I thought $450 was ok.

Are these charges out of line? This is near Chadds Ford, about 30 miles outside of Philadelphia.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 05-16-2005 at 07:24 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote