The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2005, 11:56 AM   #1
lookout123
changed his status to single

Understanding terrorism

I am starting a fresh thread with optimism that we can leave some of the name calling and condescension in the other already butchered thread. (deluded SOB, huh?)

This morning I have heard newsstories talking about BBC's refusal to label bombers as terrorists and Time magazine's interview with the 20 year old suicidebomber in training. I have been hearing arguments for some time that the key to ending the conflict between western culture (us) and islamic extremists/terrorists/bombers/whatever (them) is that we must first understand what has caused them to do what they do. I have also heard that their beliefs and actions can be directly tied to poverty and lack of opportunity.

I agree we should try to understand what caused the movement, and do our best to create an immunization for the root. long term solution. I also believe we should attack and destroy the symptoms whereever we can find them now. short term fix.

my concern is that if we really believe that poverty and oppression are the reasons X number of individuals murdered some people in London last week, X individuals blew up some trains in Spain, and 19/20 individuals hijacked some planes a few years ago, then why are these perpetrators coming from upper middle/upper class families? surely they didn't feel the sting of poverty. with resources, education, and desire could they not stimulate change in a more meaningful, less destructive way? i think this is where the argument for understanding the "difficulties of their lives" argument breaks down. if the murderers were unemployed, poverty sticken individuals I think that argument would hold some water - I would still disagree - but it at least would be arguable.

I can't find the link now, but i read an article yesterday written about Al Queda's recruiting in the UK. they are targeting educated upper/middle class muslims with technical skills. these aren't oppressed people. they are people with opportunity in front of them. what then is their motivation to kill and destroy civilians?

The 20 year old bomber in training in the Time article mentioned that his family is not happy about his decision, but they understand they can't change his mind. uh, wait a second. if i knew that my son was preparing to murder people and i couldn't set him on the right track i would absolutely have him arrested. i would love and support him still, but i would not stand by and watch his quest to become a martyr via killing civilians. that is just passive terrorism.

yesterday, I read a blurb that one of the national Islamic councils had written a scathing rejection of terrorism and the Al Queda movement. Of course, I also read a blurb from another that said while they don't support killing people - it is important to remember that Islam doesn't distinguish between soldier and civilian so it isn't terrorism, per se. hmmm.

today a suicide bomber in Iraq killed @ 27 people. one of them was a US soldier. at least 7 were Iraqi children. their crime? accepting candy from the US soldier.

do you really believe that poverty and oppression are the root causes of these murders? even if you do, does it excuse these murders?