The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

my opinions on thread starting etiquette

what follows is my opinion. OPINION.

If you're going to start a thread...

If I want a news article, I'll check CNN's front page. I don't need you to quote an article, or link it, give it a catchy thread title, and expect me to read it and comment on it.

If you want to discuss something, take the fucking time....expend the effort... to say what you're thinking in your own goddamned words. I'm not following any links that have no substantive context in the opening post of a thread.

It's as annoying to me as those asswipe news reporters that interview athletes by saying....."The opening drive of the fourth quarter...." And expecting the athlete to do his job for him.

It's not enough to rename a news story you read and post it. If you want to do that, you'd better express your opinion of what happened.

maybe there should be a current events thread for the link-compulsive among us. then if there was something to discuss, someone with a clue could start a thread about it and do a tangent link to that.

that covers current events threads.

with respect to the rest..... meh. I like threads that ask unusual questions. I like game threads. i like when people share intimate things with us. I respect people that are honest about their lives and have the skill with the english language to make me feel what they are feeling.

what's your opinion?

Quote:
Etiquette: one aspect of decorum, is a code that governs the expectations of social behavior, according to the conventional norm within a society, social class, or group. Usually unwritten, it may be codified in written form. Etiquette usually reflects formulas of conduct in which society or tradition have invested. An etiquette may reflect an underlying ethical code, or in may grow more as a fashion, as in eighteenth century Britain where apparently pointless acts like the manner in which a tea cup was held became important as indicators of upper class status. Like "culture", it is a word that has gradually grown plural, especially in a multi-ethnic society with many clashing expectations. Thus, it is now possible to refer to "an etiquette" or "a culture", realizing that these may not be universal. In Britain, though, the word etiquette has its roots in the eighteenth century, becoming a universal force in the nineteenth century to the extent that it has been described as the one word that aptly describes life during the reign of Queen Victoria [1].
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote