The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2007, 01:55 PM   #1
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Unhappy Off to Greener Pastures

I'm not quite sure where to put this, but since this used to be 'home' for me, I'm thinking home base pretty much does it.

I've been giving a great deal of thought to the Cellar, what it was, what it has become, and where it's heading, and my place in all of it. I've also examined my frustration level with some of the things going on around here, and have decided that it's time to head off to different places.

Have I enjoyed my time here? Yep. I've met a number of people that I would consider friends. I've learned a lot from those people, and even more from the people whom I've banged heads with. (Some of those I would even consider friends.) That said, the last few months have been tough to watch, much less participate in. I don't know what's going on, but a place that I used to consider home is now hostile. A place that was fun, is now frustrating. Do I blame it on the 'new folks'? Not entirely - I was new here once, getting my feet wet, making mistakes, and having arguments with the then old timers. Do I blame it on the 'old guard'? Not entirely - I know what it's like to feel like you need to fiercely defend a place you know and love. I've found myself doing the same thing over the past few weeks - a lot of times, I delete posts before I even post them, because it's just not worth the emotional energy that it requires. I don't know what's in the air, but whatever it is, is not blowing over.

Will I come back? I don't know. I'm fairly certain that the Cellar is an addiction that there's not a 12 step program for, so I may lurk and read from time to time (Sorry LJ, I know lurkers chap your goat) I'm not burning bridges, because as I stated, this is a place that I consider 'home', but I doubt I'll post again. The Cellar is full of fond memories of times passed, of people that are interesting, and stimulating, some are still here, some are long gone. I'll miss them all. But the bickering, and infighting, insults, and garbage - I won't miss. I won't miss the 'all inclusive' statements, stereotypes of any vein, and bigoted statements that simply aren't necessary, but are accepted or even encouraged by some of the people who now call this place home.

Is this because of the ice cream drama? Nah, although that was the impetus to make a final decision. This is something that's been brewing, and now that the kettle is screaming, it's time to go take care of it.

UT, thanks for creating a great place for people to come together and throw thoughts into the pile, hash things out, and generally have intelligent and insightful discussions. This is most definitely a unique place on the Innernets, and one that I think has contributed positively to a number of folks over the years.

It's been a great few years. I'll send postcards from wherever I land.

Take care of yourselves.

Kellie (kellie@brabec.com)

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote