The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2007, 10:48 PM   #1
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

"A Fat Rant"

I guess this isn't entirely new, but since it's made circulation on Dateline and a few other spots I think it's fair game for some rekindled discussion. First off, watch the video on YouTube, just search for "A Fat Rant" or wait until someone eventually embeds it here in a later post. It's not too bad, definitely one of the more articulated entries on the subject that I've encountered. However, I'd like to hear what people have to say about her bit on dieting. Even though she never says "so don't bother!", she digs into it pretty strongly without differentiating between fad diets, crash diets, or other alternatives to just relegating certain foods to the 'once in a blue moon' bin.
My personal take? Weight is sometimes a reflection of how well you treat yourself, other times it is not. There is no universal truth to be gained about someone by noticing that they are 30lbs heavier then average.
It should also be said that I find those who try to mark slim people as unhealthy (slim, not emaciated), as insulting as those who say that all overweight people are disgusting. I used to know someone who would insinuate that all skinny people have eating disorders. The last time I saw her was with a group of friends having dinner at Fridays, when she made an extremely insulting comment about how my choosing greek salad was an indication of low self esteem and other problems I 'had yet to come to grips with'. Just raising an example of the flip side to the problem.
That being said I agree with what I think is the main crux of her 'rant', that being overweight is not in and of itself as evil as certain people seem to think it is. I'll hand her the fact that she's pretty clear in who she attacks on this. The fashion industry and people who seem to have nothing better to do then to comment about other people's weight and their own anxiety. I feel this way myself, weight is not, was never, nor will ever be an interesting or engaging conversational topic unless it is being used only as part of a larger topic. For example, if you weighed 135lbs 6 months ago and are now breaking 200lb, then people are going to be interested in whatever it was that caused it. People with IQ's larger then 70 will not be interested in 5lbs gained over the holidays. </own rant>