FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2008, 11:19 PM   #11
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

"Mildly."

"Irritating."
  • The Great Database Implementation continues at work. People continue to need basic education on the fact that things will not be spoon-fed to them by me, but that they have to take some responsibility for their own operations. In particular, people need to learn to deal in specifics. ("I need to know how this is set up." "Well, there are three different ways you can use it, A, B, or C. Here's what each of them does [blah blah blah explanation]. If you need a different set up we can do a fair amount of customization." "Well, I need to know how it's set up." "Ummm... is there a specific area or feature you have a concern about?" "I just need to understand how it's set up."
  • Also at work, a senior person is departing. Ramifications are unclear, but it's sure to make things extra fun during the inevitable transition period.
  • Also at work, a vendor is shocked, shocked! that we are looking to move their service contract to somebody else. Two service calls ago they had to replace an older server with IDE drives with a newer one with SATA drives. They had no idea how to move the files from an IDE drive to a SATA. The last service call the technician admitted he wasn't up to speed on the software in question and his best advice was to reboot it. "OK, but the real problem is the primary partition is too small. What we really need to know is, was there a reason it was set up that way? Is there any reason we should not resize it?" "Well, I don't really know. Anyway, you can't resize partitions after they've been created."
  • Mrs. Dallas prepares for her performance in England; she leaves in two weeks. The previously announced rehearsal schedule, which was onerous, has been enhanced to the point that it's now torturous. Stateside sendoff performances are this weekend.
  • We're throwing a baby shower for a friend tomorrow. Psychotic house cleaning ensues.
  • On the plus side, the church she was subbing at "just till the end of june" has nobody permanent and she'll be playing there at least into September. Which means more $$$. Which is good, because her summer freelance gig consisted of transcribing "one hour interviews." Unfortunately, the real interviews turned out to be more like 30-35 minutes apiece, which means less $$$ as the pay is per audio minute transcribed.
  • She's now reading off a list of baby shower food ideas. I told her to just stop after she got to the one where you use the potty seat as a jello mold.
  • We have completely succeeded in raising twowhiny, entitled, self-centered children. Yay us.
I'll let you know if anything else comes up, but I'm tired now.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mild cheddar