The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-28-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
freshnesschronic
Professor

Can't Stand her!

Hey Cellar

How are you all? I remember when I first logged on I was a freshman--now I'm an incoming senior in college. Dang!

Anyways I have a rant, if you want to read it.

So I have an internship with my city's park district, which is like the city recreation and activities board (park districts are prevalent in Illinois). I do loose ends, contacting, booking, communicating with other companies and with the other program managers at the park district. But I also run my own program. It's a one day a week event, let's call it "Fun Days," for 5 weeks, so 5 sessions. Essentially I take kids 4-10 years old (maybe 40 of them?) and entertain them from 9 am until 12:30pm, one day a week. But I don't actually operate/execute it, I'm the administrator. I plan, organize and oversee it. I have my own high school kid staff under me (which is pretty cool! haha) to run it. I get most of my staff from this one lady, let's call her Betty.

Betty is one of those types who knows everything. And let's you know she knows everything. She's a teacher and teaches during the day, and comes to the administrative office after teaching and bothers the program managers and me.

I know this-I'm an intern. I'm new to the field of parks, recreation, sports management. Yes I'm new. Thank you. But I'm NOT a dumbass. I worked with kids before at my internship last year directly teaching them golf. I can handle kids and I know how they function. So today at the end of work (like an hour ago) I tell Betty I've contacted and set up a meeting for most of her staff she referred to me. And that's all I could actually work in. She goes on a half hour lecture to me of oh ok, this is how the meeting should go::::::You did that? No no no, you can't do that. You're not having an orientation? The kids are just stopping by for 10 minutes? You're not paying them? Oh no no no no. What ideas do you have? What sports are they playing? Oh you should do this game. And this activity! Especially this one. Oh this one is good too. Are you doing this? I have a great idea for that. I have a great idea for this too! Why don't you schedule your meeting for before mine? You don't want to call back the kids? I call 30 people in an hour! These are great kids. My kids. They'll be fine. They should do this. You should do that. Reschedule their meeting--I have a meeting next Thursday they have to come to! They can't go to yours. Change it. Hey this is a great game! This is how you do it.

More or less, she attempted to tell me every possible way to play kickball variants.

Now I know I'm new--but I'm not a dumbass. It was like she wanted to run MY program, designated to me from the Superintendent of Recreation, my boss. She told me how to do my meetings, she told me what things I should play---and she has no relation to this at all except she offered a lot of her staff to work for me. I appreciate her willingness to help and suggest. But enough was enough. I was told to administer this and I'm going to damnit. Not because I don't need her help. But because I know I can do it--I'm the freaking intern who needs to impress.

Sorry, that's all.
/end work rant
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote