The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #11
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanpretty View Post
I think part of the problem with herbal remedies used by the general population is that they are also "self-diagnosing" and don't have a professional opinion as to what is their issue is.
Nailed it.

Quote:
Remember the coca plant? Now used to make cocaine...yeah cocaine was the 'improvement' of the effects of the coca plant.
So...not all bad then :P

[eta]
I don't have complete trust in the Pharm companies either. But...speaking as someone whose family was fleeced for £££££s during my childhood follwing various homecure blind alleys (homeopathy, healthfood diets, allergy regimes, even fucking faith healers) I can say that I don't much trust them either. There are natural remedies which are effective. Of ocurse there are, else we'd never have developed modern medicine. But sometimes an effective natural remedy isn;t as effective as the equivalent prescribed drug. And of course vice versa.

Pharm companies may not be the best people to trust ... but y'know there are a lot of universities researching this stuff as well. If it's effective and can be proved empirically then I am happy. But I've been stung by both...and of the two I'd say I have had waay more success with prescribed medicines.

Last edited by DanaC; 06-19-2009 at 02:00 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote