The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

View Poll Results: Should gay marriages be legal?
Yes 42 77.78%
No 9 16.67%
I can't decide. 3 5.56%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2003, 10:18 AM   #11
JeepNGeorge
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

But are they fighting for all Dave?

[quote]
Why We're Demanding Access to Civil Marriage
If the marriage penalty is eased, we will likely, through discrimination in marriage, pay an even greater portion of taxes. If couples are getting tax breaks, those who file as singles (us) will have to pay an even greater disproportionate share. Even by paying more taxes, married couples still benefit from access to civil marriage in a myriad of ways such as social security, family protection, etc., etc. These benefits and privileges significantly outweigh the tax burdens that accompany legalized marriage. Same-sex couples deserve the opportunity to have equal access to perks as well as penalties.

http://www.marriageequalityca.org/taxation.php
[\quote}

Sounds to me they are saying 'Include me into your little group so I can get some perks too damnit'

To me a fight for all would be 'Why is there so many biased tax laws for married couples.'

As it stands now gay couples have all the same 'human' rights as hetero people. The right to love whom they wish, the right to live with whom they wish, the right to grieve when that person leaves. The gubment is only denying them rights or 'rules' that they have made themselves. Instead of removing those rules and getting everybody, single or married, more equal they just want to be included.
JeepNGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote