The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2014, 04:56 AM   #10
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Oh horseshit, the 5 year old won't have nightmares (about the butcher shop, anyway) if the parents are doing their job.
Sorry folks, Wally World is closed today, you'll have to keep your kid in a reality proof box until we open again.

The internet is rife with people that don't know they and their pets are made of meat, there are actually days you shouldn't go out in the woods, and there is a relationship between everything and it's food.

These people spawn and vote.
That's a hell of a blanket statement about what would or wouldn't freak a kid out.

I was brought up with a very unsentimental view of animals (pets notwithstanding). Both my brother and father occasionally engaged in poaching. And it was not entirely unknown for dad to return from his job in the early hours of the morning with roadkill.

We went to a poachers' convention when i was around 7 or 8. Martin took part in a rabbit skinning contest (came 3rd) and gave me the foot of his rabbit to keep for luck. After he'd shot some wood pigeons for a pie, he attached string to one of the bird claws for me. It was awesome, you pull the cord and the bird foot moved and clenched. We kept lizards and snakes, who ate live food. I watched as mice disappeared down the gullet of a python.

But: in the market there was a butcher's stall that always had a pig's head prominently displayed. It gave me the heebie jeebies. I had nightmares about that head. And from an early age refused to go past that stall. Likewise, no matter how many dead animals I encountered (rabbits and game birds hung to dry in the back room) I was totally freaked out by fish - and still can't eat fish if it arrives with the head still attached.

It's the glassy eyes - or worse the empty sockets *shudders*
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote