Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 05-11-2005, 05:58 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
God? Not much, institutionalised christianity? Everything. Stickers don't have much to do with god either.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:18 PM   #17
warch
lurkin old school

Fundamentalists claim they need protection from the amoral athiests , their right are infringed upon in schools teaching evolution. When the scientists invade the church and force the Sunday youth group to read Darwin...then I'll buy it.

Its science and secular education that need protection, now. Right now. Lots of Christians I know, bless 'em, are fighting to protect science curricula from ID politics.

Again the question burns,..."What's The Matter With Kansas?" They want economic progress but that comes with cultural progress. They'll continue to shoot their own foot.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:23 PM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I guess they weren't listening when Dorothy told them what was really behind the curtain.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:59 PM   #19
SmurfAbuser
Simulated Simulacrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
There are other bits you might have missed:

From Mark 12: Jesus answered, "The most important [commandment] says: `People of Israel, you have only one Lord and God. You must love him with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.' The second most important commandment says: `Love others as much as you love yourself.' No other commandment is more important than these."

I Corinthians 13: If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
No offense man, but for me personally, I get really ticked when a discussion point such as this is brought up and someone proceeds to quote the Bible as an "answer." Since I don't believe in the Bible, every word of what you said might as well be Swahili, Russian or Arabic---or a mix of all three. And although it may not have been your intent, for anyone out there who wants to quote the Bible to "convince" anyone of anything, don't do it. It's a huge turn off and I think most people will agree that it has the opposite effect.

Last edited by SmurfAbuser; 05-11-2005 at 09:01 PM.
SmurfAbuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:09 AM   #20
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Smurf, mrnoodle wasn't trying to convince anyone of the truth of those statements. He was pointing out how the references on the Bible sticker to "suicide, incest, bestiality, sadomasochism, sexual activity in a violent context, murder, morbid violence, use of drugs or alcohol, homosexuality, voyeurism, revenge, undermining of authority figures, lawlessness and human rights violations and atrocities" in the Bible were passages taken out of context and that the Bible clearly says that the opposite of all these things is the most important thing in life.

You don't have to believe it's true, but you should at least know what's in it before you argue against it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:56 PM   #21
SmurfAbuser
Simulated Simulacrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
Smurf, mrnoodle wasn't trying to convince anyone of the truth of those statements. He was pointing out how the references on the Bible sticker to "suicide, incest, bestiality, sadomasochism, sexual activity in a violent context, murder, morbid violence, use of drugs or alcohol, homosexuality, voyeurism, revenge, undermining of authority figures, lawlessness and human rights violations and atrocities" in the Bible were passages taken out of context and that the Bible clearly says that the opposite of all these things is the most important thing in life.

You don't have to believe it's true, but you should at least know what's in it before you argue against it.
No need to get yourself all in a lather--I wasn't insulting him, just making a point. Sorry to have offended if I did.

And BTW, I know what the Bible says--I was raised by strict Southern Baptist parents and had it shoved down my throat my entire childhood. Don't make assumptions about someone you don't know Clodfobble--very dangerous around here, from what I've seen.

Regardless, I've managed to block most of my Biblical knowledge out of my memory; I suspect it's something akin to post traumatic stress syndrome, although I'm not sure. I'm actually quite grateful for that.

Anyway, my point with all this is that you can make the Bible say whatever you want it to. You can quote one verse to make a point, and I can quote another to contradict you. If you believe in the Bible, that's swell, and I'm happy for you. I'm just get a little touchy when people get in your face with Bible quotes. Hey, just my personal opinion, and yes, I have lots of "issues."
Old 05-12-2005, 03:37 PM   #22
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I wasn't offended in the slightest, I was just explaining why you shouldn't be ticked off at those particular Bible quotes being presented, as the discussion (started by the sticker) was specifically about the content of the Bible. Jaguar referred to some Biblical content; mrnoodle referred to some differing Biblical content.

I didn't mean to imply you didn't know what was in the Bible though, I was using the ubiquitous "you." Sorry about that, here's a better wording: "People don't have to believe in the Bible to be able to read it objectively and debate its merit as a moral guideline, and they should in fact read it before declaring it to be utter crap (instead of, say, just a nice collection of parables.) 'Love thy neighbor' is just as good of a rule whether it's me saying it or God."

And I agree, you do have some issues with having things shoved down your throat. But lots of people do, and there's no one to blame for that but the Christians out there who happen to be over-zealous and ham-fisted.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:51 PM   #23
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

The real issue is that warning labels generally don't list the good contents of the thing they're affixed to.

Quote:
WARNING: This album has several songs that are quite good, actually. Parental approval is advised.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 09:00 AM   #24
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfAbuser
And BTW, I know what the Bible says--I was raised by strict Southern Baptist parents and had it shoved down my throat my entire childhood. Don't make assumptions about someone you don't know Clodfobble--very dangerous around here, from what I've seen.

Just because you were forced to participate in a religion does NOT mean you know what's really in the book, and understand it.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 10:58 AM   #25
SmurfAbuser
Simulated Simulacrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar
Just because you were forced to participate in a religion does NOT mean you know what's really in the book, and understand it.
Aren't you jumping to conclusions here? How do you know if I "understand" what is in the Bible? Is it your place to judge my knowledge and understanding in this case? You have no idea what my experiences or beliefs are.

I'm glad to hear that you "know what's really in the book" and that you "understand" it. That's swell. Contrary to your opinion, I also know what is in this book and I believe I understand it quite well. Based on my understanding, I choose not to believe in it. Isn't that my right?
Old 05-13-2005, 01:07 PM   #26
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

(another view)
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 01:12 PM   #27
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I see that Cobb County worships that same four elements that we Pagans do. Bet they'd be surprised to hear that...
Old 05-13-2005, 01:46 PM   #28
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I was going to say something similar ... "Earth, Air, Fire, Water" yep, all there ...

Reminds me of a friend who had an "elemental magician" in a D&D campaign. He only knew one spell. He could summon elementals of each of the elements.

Each one on the periodic table.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:01 PM   #29
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

They left out the 5th element.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:38 PM   #30
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

that's always been my problem with the bible, it's really not very consistant.. you can make it be for or against damn near anything... just depends on which version you choose.. if I had to choose one it would be before pauls re-write... and surely before king james had his way with it!