The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-20-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
bigw00dy
I'm here once in a while

Help With Special Gift

Could anybody help me in my search for a birthday present for my wife. I already got her the 'essentials'; candles, renewed her gym membership, yata, yata ,yata. Anyway Im in search of the Golden Gift. Here it is.. Im looking for a (jewerly)music box, doesnt matter the finish or size. HERES THE KICKER The song I want to use is a Tim Mcgraw and Faith Hill song--"Its your Love".

If anybody knows of a website or even a store in or around the Cherry Hill,NJ area
Thanks in advance
Old 09-20-2005, 12:34 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

"What’s in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet"
Old 09-20-2005, 12:43 PM   #3
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Non-smartass reply. A start, at least.
Much better link for same info...

Another hit (or miss, depending)
Quote:
I want to make up my own tune, or a tune not on your list. Can I do that?

We usually do not make up custom tunes for the general public. It is a time consuming, expensive and tedious process. A minimum of 2,000 pieces is required. It generally takes a year+, between the arrangement process and delivery. In addition, your order may be bumped for larger orders. All orders must be prepaid and there are no refunds on custom tunes.

If you would like to order a custom tune, please send in a tape recording of the tune played on a piano or similar, send in arrangement of sheet music, usually 16 bars of music in 4/4 time, a signed release form by the individual who owns the rights to the music and a check for $6,000 . (Preferably a bank check).

This will cover the cost of 2,000 pieces (which is the minimum) of tunes only. (approx. $3.00 each). Any additional charges, such as freight, will be billed later on. The orders take from 4 to 6 months lead time. You will receive 2M,18 note Japanese mechanical wind up movements only and does not include the cost of the box to put it in. You would have to initiate development of that beginning with design, cost ,etc. We could help you with that but you would need the musical part first. There is absolutely no way to make up just one unit.
Yet one more possibility.
Quote:
Specifications:
1)18 note music box
2)More than 1000 tunes for choice
3)Custom tune or design welcome
4)More patterns available upon request
This mechanical route is looking hard, expensive and slow. I second wolf's suggestion to go electronic if you MUST have that tune.

Last edited by BigV; 09-20-2005 at 01:14 PM.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:07 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Have you tried San Francisco Music Box Company? They always had the most extensive list of tunes ... I checked their site, but can't find the tune list that I remember from their print catalogs.

Another possibility, what about a box that has one of those record your own message chips in it? You could sample about 30 seconds of the song that way ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:43 PM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i hear the Nissans are a really really good deal in Cherry Hill
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:49 PM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Hey, lumberjim: Tell him you'll throw this in!
Old 09-21-2005, 12:40 AM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Just as an aside, when I bought my last car (which had a dealer installed 6-disc CD changer) the salesman had loaded a Grateful Dead CD into it on the day of delivery and left the jewelbox in the glove compartment. Insignificant in terms of the cost of the vehicle and the cost to the salesman, but did wonders in terms of my regard for them as a dealership.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:07 AM   #8
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Go the extra mile - get John Bobson to write you a tune for her, down load it to the MP3/iPod I suggest you buy her instead (as well?) and when she opens it it's the first tune she hears that first, and then you can add any other tunes you know she likes (including your specified tune) second.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:49 PM   #9
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Or...go the extra zillion miles, have John Bobson write a song, get *that* made into a music box tune...

Okay, so it wasn't a *great* idea...but no one else would have one, so it would be a truly unique gift.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:54 PM   #10
mrnoodle
bent

Cyclefrance, is your name, by any chance......John Bobson?

Hey, that one song says "mrnoodle" in it, I just learned. May have to call the fella and buy something.

[/likes attention in any form]
Old 09-22-2005, 02:05 PM   #11
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
Cyclefrance, is your name, by any chance......John Bobson?
Bible-handedly no - but I do have a strong connection with him. Sadly I cannot play guitar or compose words and music at the rate he does.