The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 03-08-2006, 04:09 PM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Saint Ratprick's Day

In honor of Saint Patrick's day I want to corn a beef myself. I've no idea how to go about it. Anyone out there got any sugg's?

The beer, cabbage and spuds I am ACE at.

:cheers:
Old 03-08-2006, 04:33 PM   #2
binky
all hollowed out

I found this recipe-not sure where to get the Mortons Tender Quick it calls for but maybe the Morton salt website would give a location http://www.leeners.com/meatcure.html
binky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:45 PM   #3
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I think I have seen Tender Quick at both Quillins and Wal-Mart. Your local Lardge grocery store should have it, or a custom Butcher. When,s Dinner?

Betty Crocker has a recepie
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.

Last edited by fargon; 03-08-2006 at 04:47 PM.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:01 PM   #4
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

I looked into it a while ago. It's a non-trivial task. Unless you're planning on making a lot (8 lbs or more), I don't think it's worth it.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:10 PM   #5
marichiko

I seem to remember coming across a recipe for it in an older edition of the Joy of Cooking. As I recall, it might be worth the while of an Irish mother of 14 or if you are having 20 or so members of the IRA dropping by to celebrate, otherwise, too much work for me!

I could help you out with a recipe for Italian spagetti sauce that my Welsh Corgi seems to enjoy, and I also have a recipe for Irish coffee that uses Kentucky bourbon.

Last edited by marichiko; 03-08-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:46 PM   #6
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I found a USDA website and something at wikipedia. it seems that it is just brine cured bef with a little bit of seasoning. The potassium nitrate (saltpeter) is just to keep it pink.

I'm debating the KNO3 (?) grey versus pink. "same great taste, new look"

Three weeks is the required time for curing, so this may need to wait till next year.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:02 PM   #7
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Recipe

Epicurious has a pretty detailed recipe. Make sure to read the comments, and you will find this.

Quote:
Excellant dish! Used Guinness in the water to simmer, then finished in the oven with bourbon (apologies for not having Irish whiskey) and mustard glaze.I cooked the potatoes and cabbage in the brisket water. Very flavorful. Have found that the leftover broth makes an excellant base for French onion soup. Just add sliced sweet onions and slow cook for a few hours. Serve with toasted croutons and melted Swiss or Gruyere cheese.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:20 PM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I am going to a not-wedding for Genocidal Maniac Day this year.

I am hoping that the not-bride and not-groom do not insist on green beer and all that crap.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:27 AM   #9
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Genocidal Maniac Day
St. Patrick was genocidal?
Old 03-09-2006, 01:21 PM   #10
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

He made all the good, happy pagans into misreable, guilt-ridden Christians.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:54 PM   #11
marichiko

He also chased the snake (a happy and useful creature) out of Ireland.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #12
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
He also chased the snake (a happy and useful creature) out of Ireland.
/hisses: bassssstard!
barefoot serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:25 AM   #13
Kozmique
Pirate Queen

I offended my best friend by offering to buy the corned beef this year because I have given up eating conventionally farmed meat and food processed with nitrates, and now he is upset that his food's not good enough for me anymore. What? I said I'd buy it and I'll cook it too! Nobody complained when I cooked up all the side dishes for our Cajun Christmas using nitrate free bacon and organic veggies, in fact they were a big hit! I'm not sure why we celebrate this holiday anyway since no one in either of our families is Irish, but I guess it's just another excuse to drink.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:49 AM   #14
jinx
Come on, cat.

I hear ya Koz, I did something similar at xmas.
We had friends over for dinner and I made a rib roast - only because I had one on the freezer. It was "my share" of one of the beef cows my uncle is experimenting with at the farm. Organic, grass fed, yadda yadda (pictured here, one of the red guys). I'd never made one before but it came out great.

We went to LJ's mom's the next night for dinner and I told her how awsome the roast was and how it was so nice to have beef without being all freaked out about conventional beef related nasties (she has graciously put up with me not eating beef or most anything else she cooks for many years). And btw, what's for dinner? Oh, a rib roast...

I pulled out a rump roast and a giant sirloin from the second cow to give to my brother in law in exchange for his plumbing services yesterday, and he just laughed. "Oh, is this your fancy snob-cow-better-than-my-mothers beef?"
Gah....
Old 03-13-2006, 02:12 PM   #15
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

jinxie-pooh? That's the price one pays for wearing cashmere argyle socks! Seriously, though, I would think they would like to at least compare! i've found that organic veggies are waaaaay better than not. Kobe beef is heaven, too. Maybe they are jealous?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote