The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Archives > The Sycamore Manifestos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Sycamore Manifestos Random Acts of Senseless Coherence [Blog view]

Old 08-27-2002, 10:59 AM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

The Keys to the Kingdom

The office building in which I work is a mid-rise, and the company for whom I work occupies 2 floors. In order to get into the offices on each floor, you must possess an electronic access card. Otherwise, you have to have the receptionist let you in on the main floor, and knock loudly so that someone will hear you on the other floor.

On both floors, the restrooms are located in the main lobby by the elevators. They are kept locked in the event that an unsuspecting tourist wanders into the building and tries to use them. (There are generally two people down at the front desk screening people who come upstairs...and they're pit bulls...I don't see many people getting in up here.) To access them, you need to have a key: either your own, another co-worker's, or obtain one from the receptionist.

Since temps are on the low end of the food chain, they don't get many perks...as such, we did not get access cards or bathroom keys when we started. But as I settled into my position here, I noticed that other temps did indeed have these items. As time has passed, I am now the only temp without them. I'm not sure why this is the case...the other temps have taken on roles that require them to go back and forth between floors, in which case an access card is really a necessity. But there are temps in other departments who don't go between floors and have the access card and bathroom key, so security is apparently not an issue. And as I've mentioned previously, the head of my department is a twit.

The receptionist (who must wheel her chair to catch the door sensor...she has no button to press) has to constantly let me in when I want onto the floor. I have to ask her for the bathroom key when I need it, which is on this heavy keychain that appears to be an old door hinge. It's not THAT big of a deal, but it's kinda embarrassing. It's bad enough that people know you're a temp, but this makes me stick out like a sore thumb.

I initially told my boss about this a month ago, and nothing was done. Finally, I told him yesterday that this was getting silly, noted all the temps that had keys, and that I didn't see what the big deal was. He said he would look into it, which I interpreted as, "Yeah, whatever."

However, this morning, he delivered a spanking new bathroom key, and said he would know more on the access card later today. Well, I'll be damned. I'm moving up in the world.

Maybe I'll see that access card before I get out of here...one can hope.
Old 09-02-2002, 09:57 PM   #2
elSicomoro

Lo and behold, on Wednesday afternoon, I was given a new key card. Brilliant. Now I can slip in and out of the building without detection.
Old 09-03-2002, 03:06 AM   #3
Lt
Fresh Incumbent

Quote:
...the head of my department is a twit.
Typo?

Old 09-03-2002, 07:44 AM   #4
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Lt
Typo?
Twit...twat...either or...your choice.

Actually, she submitted her resignation last week...her last day is *gulp* September 11th. Happiness.