The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 04-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
ferret88
(This space left intentionally UN-blank.)

Security scrutiny because of music choice???

(From AP - London)
You expect to have your luggage scrutinized at the airport. But how about your choice of music?
Security staff at a British airport stopped a businessman from catching a flight because the songs he had asked a taxi driver to play on the car stereo made the driver suspicious, police said.

Harraj Mann, who is of Indian origin, had the songs stored on an MP3 player, which the cab was equipped to play on its stereo. Mann asked the driver to play London Calling by the Clash as they headed for Tees Valley International Airport near Darlington in northern England on March 30, news reports said.

The lyrics include the words "London calling from the faraway towns, now war is declared and battle come down/ London calling to the underworld, come out of the cupboard, you boys and girls."

Mann, 24, also asked the driver to play Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin, which begins, "The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands, to fight the horde singing and crying Valhalla, I'm coming!"

The driver alerted airport authorities and Mann was arrested as he boarded a flight for London's Heathrow Airport. He missed the flight and later took a taxi home.

Durham Police said the plane took off before they had established that the man was not a threat.

"In this case the report was made with the best of intentions and we would not want to discourage people from contacting us with genuine concerns regarding security," police said in a statement.

WTF? Isn't that going a little too far? What's next?
ferret88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

That's just insane. Are you sure that's the whole story? I mean, did the conversation with the cabbie go something like:

"Hey bro, mind kicking on some militant protest music? I'm about to bomb an international flight, and I could use the adrenaline rush."

Because that would make more sense, in that case.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
ferret88
(This space left intentionally UN-blank.)

hey, i just relayed it as found on USAToday.com.

i'm in the industry, so i read stuff like that, sad as that is.
ferret88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:24 PM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

The story I read had him singing it at the top of his lungs. London Calling is one of my favorite albums and I think the world has gone insane. Imagine a a time when stressed out teens are unable to vent through music. The next generation is not catching any breaks.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

See, if he'd had an Uzi he could have made that flight.