The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-27-2007, 05:28 AM   #1
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Great. Just great.

I remember my Western Civilization teacher - a very bright Asian - made a point that stuck with me all these years. He made the point that Christianity was able to gain a foothold and spread so fast in the acient world because, in his words, it was a religion of poverty and suffering and therefore appealed to the poor and the suffering.

Now, it would appear, that it has gained a foothold and spreading so fast in the modern world because it is a religion of angst. Think about it. All that teen angst we've been hearing about since the dawn of the 1990s starting with the so-called Gen X has now been given purpose and focus.

Someone has finally come along and figured out how to take all that directionless and, therefore, self-cancelling (up to this point anyway) destructive energy that defies diagnosis and treatment since it has long since become disconnected from its source and give it life, purpose and meaning.

Normally, teen angst just gives way to the demands of living a peer-approved life in a modern world - school, money, sex, cars, work, sex and beer. And sex.

But what was once a self-extinguishing rumbling that would just get crowded out by hedonistic pursuits is now being imbibed with attributes of much deeper concern: self-awareness, purpose, conviction and not just the will to survive but a desire to propogate and extinguish its opposite.

Not good this is.

Really, tho there's nothing to worry about. Yes, its an awful lot of energy but as long as there isn't one person who has enough control over it to decide where or upon what to direct it then its not a concern.

I wonder what the guy meant by "Father-God"? Can't say I've heard that term used before but it does seem vaguely familiar...
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie View Post
I wonder what the guy meant by "Father-God"? Can't say I've heard that term used before but it does seem vaguely familiar...
It seems like there is a growing movement in "Christianity" to distance themselves from the nurturing, feminine side of God, It makes sense that folks raised to submit to authority would seek out authority in a scarey (to them) free society. Biologically we want survival, reproduction, and a general sense of well-being, this nut gives them all of those things.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Is it just me or does this sound a lot like the recruiting methods of the KKK and the Nazi party?
Old 04-27-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
Is it just me or does this sound a lot like the recruiting methods of the KKK and the Nazi party?
Ding, ding, ding. That is what Iwas alluding to with the "father-God/Fatherland" question.