yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:32 PM   #62
roost
Eavesdropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065 View Post
relax roost - thats just lj bein lj
O.k. for now.
I am very sensitive when it comes to children, because they are born innocent, and we make them what they are.
So I have a hard time with some of these remarks here about children.
roost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:33 PM   #63
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

We try to anyway. When my youngest lived with hiws mother he was excessively violent. Punching holes oin the walls arguing all the time - fighting braking things... He's an honor roll student now. Trust me, I think I understand.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:38 PM   #64
roost
Eavesdropper

That is the potential...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065 View Post
We try to anyway. When my youngest lived with hiws mother he was excessively violent. Punching holes oin the walls arguing all the time - fighting braking things... He's an honor roll student now. Trust me, I think I understand.
Hundreds of kids in the foster system, because this behavior is not the "norm."
most of them are so smart though, they need more work in social skills, because thier brain focuses on other development.
Congrats for your son.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:38 PM   #65
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Well Impulse Control Disorder is really an umbrella term covering many different disorders. Kleptomania, pyromania, and Intermittent Explosive Disorder would all be considered impulse disorders, but the term itself is too vague by itself to really mean much.
Most are abnormal extensions of what we might normally experience playing a sport for example. There is a buildup of intensity and energy which is released as pleasure after the touchdown or goal is scored. The difference between the person acting like a dick, and the person acting under these impulses is that between actions the person may feel ashamed or frightened of their actions, only to be irresistibly drawn to them as the tension builds again.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:43 PM   #66
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roost View Post
Hundreds of kids in the foster system, because this behavior is not the "norm."
most of them are so smart though, they need more work in social skills, because thier brain focuses on other development.
Congrats for your son.
Identifying the root cause, if possible, is the beginning of the solution. In my sons case, it was his mother - sux but true. He yearned for discipline and structure. Two things she was/is incapable of providing.

Excellent points 9th - you continue to amaze me with your broad range of insight.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:45 PM   #67
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by roost View Post
Excuse me!
I think some on here are making very wrong comments on an issue involving children.
Could you please rethink your comment?
Here, I'll rethink it for him ...

A great deal of harm is done by pathologizing people, especially children, by deciding that bad behavior is part of a disorder or disease over which they have no control.

Yes, there are such people in existence.

But not at the rate at which they are currently identified and excused for criminal actions.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:49 PM   #68
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

C'mon wolf, every kid born since 1990 has ADD or ADHD - right????
{dripping with sarcasm}
Old 08-29-2007, 09:52 PM   #69
wolf
lobber of scimitars

My own personal theory is that Sesame Street causes ADD. Poor parenting plus Sesame Street causes ADHD.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 08-29-2007, 09:54 PM   #70
rkzenrage

Can it be video games and doing lines of jell-o?
Old 08-29-2007, 09:55 PM   #71
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

LOL - if it wasn't so sad - My wife had my son so medicated he was a walking zombie - all under the careful watch of three different "doctors."
Now he takes nothing, but an occassional phone call to me so he can vent. Geez, amazing what a little caring and communication can do - eh?
Old 08-29-2007, 10:00 PM   #72
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Can it be video games and doing lines of jell-o?
No.

Well, I'm not sure about the Jello (nice Savage Steve Holland reference there, boy), but video games tend to extend attention spans rather than shorten them.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:05 PM   #73
queequeger
Hypercharismatic Telepathical Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Here, I'll rethink it for him ...

A great deal of harm is done by pathologizing people, especially children, by deciding that bad behavior is part of a disorder or disease over which they have no control.
Thank god someone said it. I would have, but I have a short attention span... I mean ADD. Best bet is to try raising your children before excusing them. I don't mean 'punish them sternly for their mistakes' but for god sakes, if you're the kind of parent who asks your kid for permission for things, you're not allowed to wonder why he's a dick... I mean, :ahem: has a Disorder.

But, same caveat as wolf: there ARE people who have these disorders, they're just over diagnosed to the extent that it's pretty commonly a big joke.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:38 PM   #74
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
No.

Well, I'm not sure about the Jello (nice Savage Steve Holland reference there, boy), but video games tend to extend attention spans rather than shorten them.
I know.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:42 PM   #75
roost
Eavesdropper

ICD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer View Post
Well Impulse Control Disorder is really an umbrella term covering many different disorders. Kleptomania, pyromania, and Intermittent Explosive Disorder would all be considered impulse disorders, but the term itself is too vague by itself to really mean much.
Most are abnormal extensions of what we might normally experience playing a sport for example. There is a buildup of intensity and energy which is released as pleasure after the touchdown or goal is scored. The difference between the person acting like a dick, and the person acting under these impulses is that between actions the person may feel ashamed or frightened of their actions, only to be irresistibly drawn to them as the tension builds again.
Actually it includes multiples of the disorders that fall under the category.
Several phsychologist believe it could be linked to the serotonin level in the brain. Serotonin from foods can not get to this area. A serotonin reuptake inhibitor is available, but it may disturb the rest of a childs development, so we will wait till he is 12 to take the neurotransmittor test, which I hear can be inconclusive.
There are also several non related disorders which have similiar symptoms, which makes it very important for these children to be constantly monitored.