The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 10-16-2007, 02:19 PM   #16
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

In the US, it doesn't matter what the doctor actually prescribes, you have the right to ask the pharmacist for a generic version instead. Most places will put it in your file that you always want the generic version, so you don't even have to remember to ask.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:24 PM   #17
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

You can request the generic medicine here too. The prescription calls for the medication, rather than the brand ( so Salbutamol, not Ventolyn)
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:37 PM   #18
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
You can request the generic medicine here too. The prescription calls for the medication, rather than the brand ( so Salbutamol, not Ventolyn)

which are now banned here. CFCs.

(no generics for the replacement, my prescription plan charges $50 copay for non-generic.....)
Old 10-17-2007, 03:46 PM   #19
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Actually some GPs still prescribe by brand name - we did a lot of work on that when I was working for the PCT. It unsettles some patients - especially older patients - when their medication changes appearance because of price changes on the Drugs List. When a prescription is made out for a generic drug, the drug you receive can be different every month, or vary from pharmacy to pharmacy depending on their stock. Some patients convince themselves that the little blue pills in the yellow packet were much better than the white ones in the red packet. I know, they used to phone up my team to complain (after the GP's receptionist said it wasn't the doctor's fault and gave them our phone number).

In fact there are some cases when it is cheaper for the GP to specify as long as he is working in tandem with his pharmacist - but we tried to keep that quiet because of the many many cases when that isn't the case
Old 10-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #20
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
which are now banned here. CFCs.
We have the non-cfc version.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote