The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-11-2008, 02:22 AM   #1
Drax
Banned

Latest news on the TV Strike

Quote:
WGA Boards Meet and Approve Deal: Showrunners Can Return to Work Monday

The boards for both branches of the Writers Guild of America on Sunday unanimously approved the tentative deal reached on a new contract. The boards are also taking the final decision on liftng the strike to membership in a vote on Tuesday.

In the meantime, showrunners will get going even sooner, heading back to work Monday to get crews set up and production facilities going again, as will writers who have producing duties on their shows. Ballots to ratify the three-year deal are also going out to members, and will be returned within a 10-12 day period.

Patric Verrone commented on the deal agreement, saying, "This is the best deal this guild has bargained for in 30 years."

Verrone also went on to praise the work of the three CEOs who stepped up in the decisive moments of negotiations, including News Corp. chief Peter Chernin, Disney head Robert Iger and CBS' top dog, Leslie Moonves. Until the business chiefs sat down at the bargaining table, Verrone said, "We spent about three months getting nowehere."

In light of the huge support among writers for the deals in members' meetings on both coasts Saturday, it's expected that they'll be in favor to end the strike in Tuesday's vote, and be able to return to work as early as Wednesday. For writers pushed out of contracts in force majeure situations, many will be hired back, but in a case-by-case scenario, in which the status of each show will affect the deals.

As the final logistical steps are taking place, as least most of Hollywood will start getting back into motion. — Anna Dimond
Posted 8 hours ago on TVOs blog.

Looks good to me.

Click here for a partial summary of the deal in PDF format..

Last edited by Drax; 02-11-2008 at 02:34 AM.
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:59 AM   #2
Drax
Banned

Strike's officially over, if anyone cares.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:17 AM   #3
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

not really - not me anyway.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I think the writers got hosed.

Their main demand to get paid residuals for distribution through all these other channels, mainly internet based, was seriously .... diluted by a couple provisions. One--no revenue sharing from the advertising revenue stream alongside internet distribution. Two--no revenue sharing from performance/distributions in the first seventeen days of availability. Apparently, the demand drops of sharply around then. Damn our short attention spans.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
lookout123
changed his status to single

Hosed or not, when will I see the next episode of Life?
Old 02-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
One--no revenue sharing from the advertising revenue stream alongside internet distribution.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. From the WGA's summary of the New Media portions of the deal:

"Television Ad-Supported Streaming (Library): Ad-supported streaming of television programs produced after 1977 (and a small number produced prior to 1977) are payable at 2% of distributor’s gross receipts."

"Television Ad-Supported Streaming (New Programs): Ad-supported streaming of television programs is payable at 2% of distributor’s gross receipts one year from the end of an initial streaming window."

They do get a cut of internet ads, which may or may not be what you're talking about above...

Quote:
Two--no revenue sharing from performance/distributions in the first seventeen days of availability.
The 17-day window is a bit of a disappointment for many, but the logic behind it is this: writers are currently paid residuals for reruns of television programs--their salaries are what paid for the first run of the program. The assumption is that anyone watching on the internet within the first 17 days is watching because they missed the new episode on TV, not because they are watching it again. And the knowledge that it will be available online will make some viewers less steadfast in their appointment-viewing, so it does translate into fewer 'butts in the seats' for the television first-run.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #7
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

CF:

I have not followed this story with maximum dilligence, so it is quite possible that the combination of my ignorance and my inattention has gotten this first complaint wrong. I was under the impression that the part of the revenue stream to the studios that came from the advertisers who paid for "alongside" ads (my made up terminology) was not to be shared with the writers. I was talking about the intarweb distribution... but my memory / understanding could be faulty.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
"alongside" ads (my made up terminology)
Your terminology confuses me. Do you mean banner ads (i.e., mostly still pictures) that display on the same webpage as the television clip, as opposed to actual video ads embedded in the clip? As far as I know, yes, the writers only get to share the ad revenue that is gained from their specific clip--but that's where all the money is anyway, since the user is forced to sit through the 30-second commercial before the clip will load, and there are usually multiple commercials within a full-length show.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:49 PM   #9
Drax
Banned

Actually, the whole thing sort a confuzzed me.

I'm not happy that Journeyman and Bionic Woman didn't survive this, but at least Chuck and BSG's final season did. Still unsure about Heroes (with young Hayden the hottie -- Did I upset you Cf? :p), FG and SG:A tho.

And I really want more (P&T) Bullshit!