The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-09-2008, 09:33 PM   #16
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Love the sticker on your kayak Jinx - haven't seen one of them in tooooooo long!
Old 06-09-2008, 10:45 PM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
Yes, and thanks, she's a sweetie.
No she's not, she picks on me. :p
Old 06-09-2008, 11:40 PM   #18
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Cloud, it's a done deal. I've pushed for portable room air conditioners and gotten one so far, more on the way. I just need to be able to open a window to exhaust the waste heat and moisture. We will be replacing the windows as money allows. Once the windows and doors are replaced, A/C will be going in.

We do have an evaporative cooler (seems like a big misted fan to me) but it doesn't work very well. I will be fixing it asap. All I think it needs is a new motor (high speed is gone) and new filter panels or whatever they're called. I replaced the water pump last summer and gave it preventative maintenance at that time. I can make it work but I'm from back East...I need my cool air!

I also know there are a few things that didn't make it onto my list but I can't list EVERYTHING. My opinion of El Paso stands.

Brian
Old 06-10-2008, 05:44 AM   #19
binky
all hollowed out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
Cloud, it's a done deal. I've pushed for portable room air conditioners and gotten one so far, more on the way. I just need to be able to open a window to exhaust the waste heat and moisture. We will be replacing the windows as money allows. Once the windows and doors are replaced, A/C will be going in.

We do have an evaporative cooler (seems like a big misted fan to me) but it doesn't work very well. I will be fixing it asap. All I think it needs is a new motor (high speed is gone) and new filter panels or whatever they're called. I replaced the water pump last summer and gave it preventative maintenance at that time. I can make it work but I'm from back East...I need my cool air!

I also know there are a few things that didn't make it onto my list but I can't list EVERYTHING. My opinion of El Paso stands.

Brian
I'm not sure we have the same cooler Brian. Ours can cool the inside to 70 when its 95 outside.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:16 AM   #20
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

LJ has teh ghey....bad
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:33 AM   #21
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

There are almost too many things to list in London. I have focused on the cheap/ free things, as all I ever seem to hear is about how expensive London is to visit. Well, yeah – if you have to take a family to a West End Show and have tea at the Savoy I suppose it is! But it’s a wonderful city to spend the summer in.

I haven't even bothered with the usual sightseeing "must-dos"!

Museums worth spending a whole day in:
The British Museum
The Science Museum
The Natural History Museum (with live butterflies this summer!)
The Victoria and Albert Museum (art and design)

If you like art:
The Tate
The Tate Modern (although the crack in the floor has been filled)
The National Gallery (Western European art)

London Walks – which I push shamelessly whenever I can, run every day and only cost £7 per adult, children free!
You just can’t beat the amount of things you see and hear and learn, from street level up to the rooftops. Two and a half hours (more if you do a pub walk!)

London has some beautiful parks if the weather is good. We used to go out for the whole day, but then we didn’t have far to travel. At the least they’re great for a breather, a picnic, to go rowing, play Frisbee etc.
Hyde Park (includes the Diana Memorial Fountain)
St James’s Park (pelicans and The Mall)
Regent’s Park (400 varieties of roses in The Rose Garden)

The markets aren’t as large as some European markets – there just isn’t the space. But they have an impressive history and are vibrant and an attraction in themselves.
Borough Market (London’s oldest – food & drink)
Smithfields (800 years old – meat market but includes cheese, pies, deli items)
Portobello Road (World’s Largest Antiques Market & v trendy vintage clothes)
Covent Garden – (arts and crafts) and take in the street theatre while you are there. I don’t mean lame mimes and living statues either – these guys are good.

For a little more money, take a trip down the Thames (ie by river) to Greenwich – local landmarks are pointed out on the way and it’s a great way to kill half an hour. £28 family ticket means two adults and two children can get on and off the boat all day.
Or come out on the Docklands Light Railway, which feels like a toytown train but runs through the heart of East London and Canary Wharf, dwarfed by the towers and offices.

Stop off at Canary Wharf for shopping, for dinner on the water, or for the free events run all summer – example a performance of The Royal Ballet transmitted live from Covent Garden Opera House to a big outdoor screen, a showing of The Fountainhead, an demonstration of English Change Ringing.

Once in Greenwich we have a lively covered market, Greenwich Park with deer and squirrels that will eat from your hand and the marvellous Observatory Hill/ Observatory (free except for a charge for selected galleries). The Maritime Museum is at the bottom of the hill and also the various chapels and painted halls.

Then come to see me, and if HM’s working we can get a sneaky pint and sit and watch the river.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #22
lookout123
changed his status to single

Awesome SG, but you forgot a couple of the most important items. First you must visit Emirates Stadium so you can be thrilled by the beauty that is Arsenal football.

Then when you have fallen in love you can visit The Armory to pick up your new 07/08 jersey. I'm sure you meant to include all that SG.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #23
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
Awesome SG, but you forgot a couple of the most important items. First you must visit Emirates Stadium so you can be thrilled by the beauty that is Arsenal football.

Then when you have fallen in love you can visit The Armory to pick up your new 07/08 jersey. I'm sure you meant to include all that SG.
Ahem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
I have focused on the cheap/ free things
Old 06-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #24
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
No she's not, she picks on me. :p
She says you started it, and also "neener neener".
Old 06-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Old 06-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #26
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksNuts View Post
LJ has teh ghey....bad
I was stylin'

black creek shoes, dark cammo shorts, black sleeveless T, big tattered straw hat, shades. you'd have swooned.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #27
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
We're prolly just gonna drop M-80s off the covered bridge into the creek...