The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
busterb
NSABFD

Wireless

Thinking about going wireless. I'm paying almost 4 bucks a month for modem maintaince.
What would I need to replace it and go wireless. 2 computers, soon as I finish one.

Tablet is wireless ready.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
regular.joe
Старый сержант

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking Buster. How is internet access piped into your home? Cable, DSL, dial up, satellite? Are you wanting to change your internet pipeline to cellular data, or are you wanting to take your existing pipeline and distribute it through out your home network wirelessly?

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
busterb
NSABFD

Joe. I have dsl from phone co. Would like to get rid of their modem and go wireless in house.
Guess what I'm asking, is do I still need a dsl modem, then hook that to a router? I know I'll need something on both computers.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

You can get DSL modems that are also wireless routers, but you will still need a DSL modem, one way or the other. I don't know if there is anything special with DSL modems that would require you to use the one from the phone company, though.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
GunMaster357
Professor

It may be necessary to use the modem from the phone company if you're receiving TV and/or phone via DSL.

Did you check if your DSL modem has also wireless capabilities? It may be just deactivated. Mine has both tech.

I, too, pay a similar amount to the phone company but the modem is considered to be rented. Recently, due to a very close call with a ligthning bolt, I had to change it. A call to the help center, some tests and 2 hours later I had my new modem. Better look, better tech, some news functions.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

First, obviously your computers must have a wireless (card) capability.

I've just changed from Comcast (cable) to CenturyLink DSL (phone),
and opted for the rental, not purchase, of the wireless modem.

The modem CenturyLink provided connects to the phone line,
and all my computers connect via wireless. (Apple airport, etc)
The modem also has 3 USP ports, one of which I will be using to connect to my (non-wireless) HP printer.

The most difficult of this transition was the setup of "MyAccount" and setup of a new email address.

As far as I see now, there's no difference (EXCEPT PRICE) between CenturyLink and Comcast, but
I am just into internet surfing, pic's, video's, and emails... no computer games here.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #7
dungeonsandlizards
Soylent Greenhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb View Post
Thinking about going wireless. I'm paying almost 4 bucks a month for modem maintaince.
What would I need to replace it and go wireless. 2 computers, soon as I finish one.

Tablet is wireless ready.

I suggest that you ask your ISP for a compatible wireless router. Usually they can provide one and I think that's a better option than buying your own. That way, when you experience an internet connection problem, you can just call their tech support and let them assist you in troubleshooting over the phone or they can send their dispatch team to your house.

But before you do that, I agree with Lamplighter. If you want all gadgets to connect wirelessly, they must have the capability to do that. So you need someone to check that for you. It is rare for PCs to have a wireless adapter / card installed.
dungeonsandlizards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I'm watching this thread, cuz Momdigr's Xmas will require a wireless connection. If I share my cheap DSL connection w/another computer, will I notice a slow down? Is it safe to use an older router?

WTF is "modem maintenance"? Besides $4/month.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
busterb
NSABFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
WTF is "modem maintenance"? Besides $4/month.
You got it. They repair ur modem fer free. I haz wi-fi now for a little less cost than before