The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 06-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
glatt

After work tonight, I'm going over to my 76 y.o. cousin's house while he's at a family reunion, let myself in with a set of keys he gave me, and look for a spare car key. If I find one, I'm going to open his car, pop the hood, and disconnect the battery. Then I'll lock everything back up again and not speak of it.

It's going to cause him some anxiety, but he knows he shouldn't drive, and I may be saving his life or that of another person. Two accidents in the last 6 months, and his official driving record is horrible. I'm surprised he could get insurance.

Lots of meetings regarding him, and I'm hoping assisted living is in his very near future. I may end up with a durable power of attorney in all this. His dementia is getting bad.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:46 AM   #2
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Lots of meetings regarding him, and I'm hoping assisted living is in his very near future. I may end up with a durable power of attorney in all this. His dementia is getting bad.
Looks like I have a new responsibility.

My aunt and my mom were in town the last few days for their cousins reunion, and I was hoping all the cousins would work on this other cousin, Chris, to get him to agree to go into assisted living. But instead they were just working on getting him to agree to meet with a social worker yesterday. Which we all did.

The result of that meeting is that I'm going to find an in-home care agency that can send over workers to help take care of his needs for a few hours each day. Chris also agreed to change my "conditional" power of attorney to a regular power of attorney so I can help take care of his affairs now instead of waiting until he doesn't know his own name. I can take compensation for POA services, so I can just think of it as a second job. And since I already have enough on my plate, you had better believe I'll be paying myself for my services.

So basically I have a new responsibility, which I'm not entirely happy about, but I can see why it should be me, and I agreed to it. And hopefully, this in-home care will make it obvious that what's really needed is moving into a facility, and that can be next.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:52 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Does your power trip know no bounds?
Old 06-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Does your power trip know no bounds?
He's probably waiting until he's absolutely corrupted.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:34 PM   #5
glatt

And I got a lead on an in-home care provider!
The social worker had given me a photocopy of a directory of providers that operate in the county. Around 50 of them, and wouldn't give me any hints about which were good and which were bad. She suggested I Google each of them. Not very helpful.

But my FIL had made lots of friends in his nursing home when he lived there, and the marketing lady there even came to his funeral. Nice lady. So we called her up, since she's an industry insider, and she gave us a good lead. Very enthusiast about this one guy. He's out today, but his colleagues were quite helpful and I'll probably have a meeting with him early next week.

The ball's rolling.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:17 PM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
The ball's rolling.
I knew you weren't wearing pants! I knew it!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote