The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-25-2006, 09:49 AM   #136
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Your statement was "it makes ALL brits look bad" not "some people would think it makes ALL Brits look bad."

But if it's not your view I apologise for picking you up on it.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:02 AM   #137
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Brianna. You regularly resort to 'anti-Brit' statements and sentiments when responding to posts by the Brits on this forum. You make sweeping generalisations about what we think, intend and do.

Quote:
Darling, the Brits don't see it that way at all. They only see it in terms of how it will effect them. They really don't even give a hang about us, in terms of individuals; they see us as one big mass of simple-minded, uncultured hicks who'd best do what they're told, or no pat on the head from them.
Case in point. I am a little tired of having this argument with you. If you aren't careful you'll end up with a bent spine from carrying around that fucking big chip.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:08 AM   #138
DanaC

Y'know. I really try, as much as possible not to make sweeping generalisations about any nation. I occassionally fail in that endeavour, but it's never malicious. When i refer to 'America' doing something, or 'Britain' doing something, I am referring to the body politic, not the population in general. I occassionally generalise when making a point just because posting would become cumbersome if every statement was couched in caveats. I assume people understand that. Maybe I'm wrong.

This forum sometimes depresses the shit out of me.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:25 AM   #139
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Dana, I didn't mean it that way. I'm sorry you took offense. The above quote of mine that you re-posted out of context was written in a moment of real heat and aimed at a few posters who irritate the shit out of ME. We all get irritated at times. I'm tired of having this convo with you, too.

As far as a chip on my shoulder...well, i guess we've all got burdens to carry, eh?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:26 AM   #140
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I wasn't pointing the finger at you, Dana. Not everything is about *you*
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #141
DanaC

My point Brianna, is that whilst plenty of people make generalisations about each other's countries, you regularly respond to my posts with a dig at British people, British views, or accusations of generalisation. Now, if it's in response to all those other people, why does it so often come after, and relate to my posts?
Old 11-25-2006, 10:34 AM   #142
DanaC

Quote:
I wasn't pointing the finger at you, Dana. Not everything is about *you*
I don't think everything is about me. I do think you have a tendency to make sweeping generalisations almost as regularly as you pout over other people generalising about Americans.

Last edited by DanaC; 11-25-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:54 PM   #143
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

mmmmmm.... no quite sure why I'm lumped in with the anti-american brigade... to be sure, I think your foreign policy, for the most part, sucks..... and I 'm not to keen on your general asumption that the american way is the best and only way.....and whilst I'm sure that your cultural output at its best equals the best of Europe, I can only take so many re-runs of the simpsons or Friends.

That said, many of my personal friends are former colonialists.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:09 AM   #144
DanaC

You are anti-American because you disagree with aspects of American politics....and because you make tongue in cheek comments about colonialists.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:24 AM   #145
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

No, because early on when he joined the board, he made very many non-tongue-in-cheek derogatory comments about "Yanks" and "colonialists." To his credit, since staying around and getting to know us, he has stopped the practice almost entirely, and what remains is in fact tongue-in-cheek, like you say. But Brianna tends to hold a grudge.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 02:28 PM   #146
DanaC

Ahh. Fair enough. I must have missed the early stuff.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:34 PM   #147
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Is it wrong to call you lot Yanks? I didn't think there was any other way to affectionately describe you.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:09 PM   #148
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

it doesn't bother me
Old 11-26-2006, 08:29 PM   #149
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I was the Yank during my time in Sheffield and it was fine. Some of our Southern brothers may not prefer it. Why:

From Wikipedia's entry on "yankee":

A humorous aphorism attributed to E.B. White summarizes these distinctions:

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American. To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner. To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander. To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter. And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.

I only apply to the first three definitions but it speaks true to me.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:04 PM   #150
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

American by birth ,
Southern by the Grace of GOD !!!