The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-17-2007, 03:09 PM   #151
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Thinking of you, wolf. And your BP cuff rocks!
Old 10-22-2007, 12:45 PM   #152
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Well, no holiday weekend involved, but momWolf was back in the hospital last week. At first the concern was that she was showing blood in her stool (yeah, TMI, I won't get any more specific than that), which is a serious side effect of the blood thinner ...

After much discussion, a transfusion, and a horrifying test involving tubing down her throat, it has been determined that instead of a terrible, potentially fatal upper GI bleed, she has an ulcer. Not that the ulcer isn't bad enough, but it could have been worse ...

So, I go to the pharmacy to fill the script for the antacid/antibiotic combo, and learn two things ... first, if she didn't have insurance this stuff would cost over $400.

Second, the insurance company wouldn't authorize filling the script because of a potentially fatal interaction with her other meds.

Good on the insurance company, incidentally. As it happened, my regular pharmacy didn't have the med in stock, so I went to a different pharmacy. They had the combo meds, but halted the sale per the insurer based on the other meds they're paying for.

momWolf will be starting the meds on Wednesday, but she has to discontinue and wash out of the one that will kill her before starting the one that will cure the ulcer.

So, that's what I've been dealing with for the last week or so.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:50 PM   #153
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Yikes, the docs didn't mention/notice the potential interaction? THAT is scary. Really.

Take care, you two.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:07 PM   #154
wolf
lobber of scimitars

As of November 1, momWolf is back in the hospital. Yes again.

Trip to the PCPs office on Halloween, referral for another endoscopy.

This time they found something other than the ulcer that was leaking blood in her tummy. It was something called a Dieulafoy's Lesion, which was cauterized, but because her blood levels were low, back to the hospital we went. She was transfused that night, and is still hospitalized.

In the meantime, four beefy men should be at my door on Wednesday, November 14, early in the morning. Nowhere near enough of my stuff is in boxes for them to carry out to their nice, big truck.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 11-05-2007, 10:14 AM   #155
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Don't they have nice.... normal sized men to box it for you as well? Can't you recruit some local helpers?

I *hate* moving; you have my sympathies.

Best wishes for your mom. I know how agonizing that process is. My mom recently got out of the hospital after a fall, a couple of weeks ago. I'm rooting for you both from the left coast. You can count on that.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:51 AM   #156
rkzenrage

Wolf, much love to your mom, you and all who love her.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:07 PM   #157
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Good wishes and healing energies wafting across the pond from over here, too, Wolf.
Hope the move goes well: wishing you peace and plenty in your new home.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #158
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
Good wishes and healing energies wafting across the pond from over here, too, Wolf.
Same from me Wolf.
Keep us updated.

Limey, I really like "Peace and plenty" - it may become my new toast.
My Nan's used to be, "More food than you have mouths to feed" which sounds like Western greed now but came from living in the East End in a Catholic family.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:21 PM   #159
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Be Just and Fear Not.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:20 PM   #160
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Once again, an unexpected discharge.

Had to call off work, again.

Lose another day of packing time.

Bring momWolf home.

Go to grocery store for prescriptions and enough food so she won't starve.

Fill weekly med box.

Find out that one of the prescriptions was written differently than shown in the discharge instructions, will need to consult doctor tomorrow.

Find out that another of the prescriptions is out and although there are refills remaining on the prescription, it's for half the dosage she needs, add to list of things to call doctor about.

Find out that sample packs of new med are running short, add to list to discuss with doctor in the morning.

Need sleep desperately, but too much to do ...

Old 11-05-2007, 10:36 PM   #161
ViennaWaits
That's some bad hat, Harry.

Bless you. I know first hand what an exhausting and frustrating labor of love this alll is. It also doesn't take long to develop the talent of spotting discrepencies on those prescription bottles.

Newb status aside, you'll be in my thoughts.
All the best to you and your mom.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:27 AM   #162
wolf
lobber of scimitars

This holiday weekend things is far too much of a trend. Happy Labor Day, everyone.

As I write this, it is 6:20 AM. I just got home from getting momwolf admitted to the hospital ICU. She is in Congestive Heart Failure (which yes, is a chronic condition, but she's got more of it than usual at the moment.)

I left work early. We got to the ER around 9:00 PM. There was a long wait for a bed, and at first she was expected to go to Telemetry, but got upgraded to ICU because she was placed on Heparin. The ICU is apparently protocol for that drug. One of her cardiac enzymes were also elevated, so they're trying to decide if she actually had a heart attack or not.

If I'd had my way she would have been at the ER at 2am last night, but I wasn't stern enough with her to make it happen. Tonight she didn't get to choose. I called 911 and didn't take no for an answer.

She didn't get to go to her favorite hospital, either ... it was too far away from where we are now living. As a bonus though, a close friend was the ER attending on duty tonight, so momwolf got first-class service, and also got to meet some of my Paramedic Friends who were kicking around in the ER.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #163
Griff
still says videotape

Sorry lady. It is great that you have all these connections in the health care community though.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #164
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Ach, sorry to hear it Wolf. Hope your mum's feeling better soon.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #165
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

take care
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote