The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 01-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #166
lookout123
changed his status to single

i tore a groin muscle about 4 months back playing soccer and haven't really worked out since then in any consistent fashion. the muscle is feeling mostly better and I can generally make it through my whole weekend of games without worries now, so it is time to really hit the gym again. Monday morning is the beginning of my new routine... *fingers crossed*
Old 01-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #167
jinx
Come on, cat.

I messed up my hip earlier this week... the abductor that I usually use is broken so I used the other one and had the "empty jug of milk" syndrome even though I set it at my usual weight, and knocked something out of place. Then I added 20 lbs and did too many sets and walked 10 miles uphill over the next 2 days days until it was really good and fucked up.
Time in the therapy pool and the whirlpool have improved it though.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:02 PM   #168
monster
I hear them call the tide

only made it to the gym once this week -yesterday. Did 1.5 miles on the cross trainer then a .5 mile swim. And then I marshalled a kids' swiim meet in the evening and didn't even have a single beer afterwards. or chocolate. I was so good.

Tonight I'm eating peanuts and drinking Bud
Old 01-28-2008, 08:26 AM   #169
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I think I may have to stop going to the gym at weekends. It just means a bit more planning so that I am still doing the same number of sessions, just doing them on weekdays.

Every time I gp on a Saturday or Sunday I come out very unhappy with myself. It's solely because the people who use the gym at weekends are a very different crowd and I feel I am so far behind them in terms of fitness and appearance that I start to question my progress over the last 4 months.

I know it is pointless to compare yourself to anyone else. I know I have been following an officially set programme and am therefore doing what is right for my body. I know the weight will come off gradually and I am fitter than when I started. HM used these points to try and cheer me up when I told him how I felt.

But somehow it doesn't change my feelings. I am at least 2 sizes larger than the next fattest person there, and that will be only one person. On average I about 4 sizes larger than the other female attendees. I am the only person working at my speed on any of the CV machines, everyone else is much faster whether it's jogging on the treadmill (I only walk), or using the stepper, cross trainer, bike etc. Even on the floor I am doing such basic things compared to the exercises other people are doing.

I know it will change with time. I know I have made a good start. I also know that for the last three weeks I've walked out of there hating myself and I think a better use of my time would be having a pampering day and working on loving myself more.

If anyone can offer a mental exercise which will help derail my negative train of thought on these occasions I would realyl appreciate it. I'll try anything suggested before resigning myself to avoidance!
Old 01-28-2008, 08:32 AM   #170
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Sundae--you don't know how awesome you are. LOOK at where you've come from!!! Weeks spent lolling on the floor of the flat amongst the beer bottles and now--now--THIS! good god, woman, if I had a quarter of your strength, character and gumption, I'd be hillary's running mate! you know what I think when I see out of shape people (like myself) going to the gym? I think, damn, I wish I had what they have. I wish I had courage. YOU KEEP GOING. you don't know how much better you sound, how much stronger and happier. moments of weakness--yep, they come, but you,girl, are winning this race.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:33 AM   #171
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Plus, I love you and you're my hero.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:02 AM   #172
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

You just need to change your perspective woman You don't know their stories, just like they don't know yours. Some of those people are reformed out-of-shapers like yourself, who have just been at this longer than you have. Some might have no other life so they have lots of time to spend at the gym...or have eating or body image disorders that cause them to spend hours at a time working out. No one is perfect, and I guarantee none of those people have your combination of intellegence and wisdom that you do. They may be faster on the treadmill, but I double dog dare any of them to beat you in a battle of wit and humor

When I do a race, there are always a ton of women who have sexier runner's bodies than I do, who run faster than I do, and seem to have more people cheering them on than I do.

The minute I start to feel sorry for myself I make myself think of all the people who are home sleeping, while I'm out enjoying a beautiful morning with a bunch of other like minded people. I let myself feel superior (for a little while) because I earned it during all the hours I spent working out before the sun was even up. Getting smoked by a mom pushing twins in a baby stroller snaps me back to reality though...

I know I'm not going to be the best athlete ever, but I can be the best me ever. And that's your goal in the end, isn't it? To be the best YOU.

Last edited by LabRat; 01-28-2008 at 09:28 AM.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #173
aimeecc
Super Intendent

Sundae - don't worry about the person on the next treadmill. They admire your will to get on the machine in the first place.

I've been a fitness freak.. well, my whole life. My mom and I would run 5ks together when I was a teenager. I absolutely LOVE running. Not many people think that way. I'm odd, always have been. I'm currently out of shape due to baby, and my hubby, also mister althlete, is more out of shape than me.

With all that said, I have always admired people who get out and workout, no matter their weight. I've been blessed with athletic genes and a desire to run. My sis is hefty. She got the non-athletic genes from my dad. Every few years she tries again... and she's trying again this year. I hope she looses weight, because it will be better for her health and her attitude. But if not, I'll still love her. It doesn't matter whether she's a size 18 or size 8.

My best friend has always struggled with weight. She is a beautiful woman, way more sexy than I'll ever be. I've watched her struggle through the years. She'd diet. She'd run. She'd diet. And not loose a pound. I'd eat three servings of chocolate cake and not gain a pound. I always knew I was lucky not to have her problem. And I've always admired how she keeps trying. We'd go running, she'd be out of breathe and I'd be fine, and when she'd start slowing down I'd say to her "you can tell me to f*ck off if it makes you feel better" and she would and then we'd have a good laugh and keep jogging. Everyone except pompous arses admire people who try to improve. Everyone.
aimeecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #174
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

we worked out yesterday, and then did an hour on the treadmill, and i did 20 eliptical while jinx did 20 on the stairbastard(fuck that thing, man)

I burned 1100+ calories plus whatever i burned lifting weights......and i did 65 crunches, too. no time to swim, but i still felt pretty used up afterwards. cold beers always taste WAY better after working out on an empty stomach. so do steaks.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #175
lookout123

1100 calories? that's huge man. huge.

why did i just get this image of jim curling huge bars that weigh way more than i do?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #176
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

after seeing that weightlifter with the prolapsed rectum, I don't really like the idea of free weights all that much. I do my curls with 40 lb dumbells, but apart from that, I use machines. I do the upright bench starting arond 210-230 for my first set....that might be more than you weigh?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #177
monster

Just got in from 30 mins (2.25 miles) on the elliptical/cross trainer thingy followed by a half mile swim (20 mins). Recently I've been feeling pleased with 1.75-2 miles total and today I made 2.75. So I may well test the cold beer and steak theory tonight
Old 02-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #178
lookout123

i clock in at a measly 145 lbs. i like the way i look with 5-10 more lbs on my upper body but it really slows me down on the field. yes, i know that sounds stupid.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:44 PM   #179
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Not. going. to. do. it....
No. response. here. I have nothing to say to any of this......Nope.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:47 PM   #180
monster

I has sirloin and mushrooms and cold beer