The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 06-05-2008, 05:27 PM   #2011
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
But sometimes you can't. The odd thing is you can tell your kids to do stuff and sometimes they just won't. It's certainly true that some parents refuse to even try to control their kids and think it's just darling and oh so clever when they try to disassemble the cash register. But even the most well-behaved spawn of the best parent will have a limit to the time they can sit and behave, and once that limit's reached you're in for a rough time.
Isn't it then up to the parent/carer to come up with something to occupy the child rather than expect others to put up with irritating behaviour? Why should others have to suffer the burden of the choices you make?

I have to agree with Sundae here when she says that if you can't control your child when they're young, you're in for a hell of a time later in life.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #2012
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
But even the most well-behaved spawn of the best parent will have a limit to the time they can sit and behave, and once that limit's reached you're in for a rough time.
Exactly right, Steve. We called it "used up all their 'good'".
Old 06-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #2013
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Surely anyone that's going to somewhere with a 'waiting room' with a small child is going to go prepared? I just don't get that you expect the waiting room to provide the entertainment. I'm not saying you should expect your child to sit there quietly and do nothing, but as a parent you have a responsibility to your child to ensure they're stimulated by the right sorts of things. Doesn't every parent have a small bag of toys and or books etc that they keep in the car or by the door to take for occasions like this? Actually scrap that. I know they don't. That's why we're having this discussion.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:46 PM   #2014
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Seriously?

Those that havent had/got small kids, I can semi understand, but those of you that have had small children, I am really shocked.

I am totally with glatt, you cant those kinds of things within reach of children and expect them not to touch them.

It IS nasty, kids dont know that the shiny little models arent the same as their matchbox toys.

Children have bad days, just like anybody else, some days they will be perfect obedient angels (although, I am yet to see this) and others they will be hell on legs and purposely defy you every second of the day.

Yes I have toys for this occasion, but what child isnt going to want to play with the new and shiny toys that they havent seen before, rather than the bag their parents have?

I try and keep the boys on a short leash, but it doesnt always happen without a fight.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:14 PM   #2015
monster
I hear them call the tide

What Ducks said

....and then some.

never mind the kids, the blooming adults will pick them up and fuss with them. maybe not in the UK and Aus, but here, for sure.

If you don't want it touched but want to display it for the public, put it in a goddamn glass case.

Toddlers can't distinguish between models and toys, and safe and dangerous, and they can rarely resist temptation. They're curious and learning, and their primary way to interact with the world is through touch and experimatation. yes, if you are a good parent it is usually possible to prevent your child from playing with things they shouldn't, but not always, and furthermore it's hard work. Where's the customer service aspect of providing a waiting room that is stressful to the customer?
Old 06-05-2008, 09:27 PM   #2016
glatt

I didn't mean to start anything here.

For the record, the kids didn't touch them, and we did have a couple of distractions in my wife's purse that paled significantly by comparison.

But it was freaking torture for the kids to not touch all those shiny beautiful toys that were right there, taunting them. While we waited and waited.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:49 PM   #2017
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I didn't mean to start anything here.
Well you shoulda!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:58 PM   #2018
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Isn't it then up to the parent/carer to come up with something to occupy the child rather than expect others to put up with irritating behaviour? Why should others have to suffer the burden of the choices you make?

I have to agree with Sundae here when she says that if you can't control your child when they're young, you're in for a hell of a time later in life.
You're right, I should have drowned them at birth when it became obvious that they weren't perfect, and I wasn't either.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:10 PM   #2019
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

steve - TFF!
Old 06-05-2008, 10:40 PM   #2020
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
You're right, I should have drowned them at birth when it became obvious that they weren't perfect, and I wasn't either.
Don't be silly! You just need to beat them some more...
Old 06-05-2008, 10:51 PM   #2021
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
Firstly they aren't toys. They're models. I'd agree if it was actual toys, that would just be nasty. All it takes is explaining this to the child. So it's more like putting out wax fruit or fake books.

Secondly... if you can't control your child in a customer waiting room you're going to have a lot more stress in your life from other directions.
You have to understand the age of child we're talking about here... From 5 and up, I agree, they should be more than able to just sit on their hands and behave. They won't enjoy it, but they should be able to do it, with the occasional reminding.

But seriously, my two-year-old couldn't even handle a picture of a car on a big heavy block. That was what he wanted, you know--the picture of the car on the car battery. If there had been actual model cars set out within his reach, with or without a 'Do Not Touch' sign, we would just have turned around and left instantly. I wouldn't even have to wait for the temper tantrum on that one.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #2022
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
EVeryone who doesn't want Sundae Girl to babysit their kids raise their hand.

@Clodfobble: HOw about a picture of a really cool race car on a can of charcoal lighter fluid? (Kingsford, I believe) I posted about this before somewhere, but WTF? why not put Elmo on the friggin thing?

I admit I had a lot of ideas about kids like SG's when I was in my 20s, now I see that although Inch rarely has meltdowns, they do come and from his perspective they are perfectly reasonable.

You wait an hour, that's 1/262,800th of your life. Your 2 year old waits an hour, that's 1/17,520th of their life. Or something like that.

No, wait. That's my argument for not giving someone who is only 30 pounds and adult sized portion of ice cream.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:01 AM   #2023
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I think I'm beginning to see the problem. We weren't even allowed out of our cages until we were 6.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:10 AM   #2024
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
@Clodfobble: HOw about a picture of a really cool race car on a can of charcoal lighter fluid? (Kingsford, I believe) I posted about this before somewhere, but WTF? why not put Elmo on the friggin thing?
My daughter kept getting stung by ants. Then I noticed a picture from her coloring book -- of Ernie from Sesame Street, playing with ANTS and letting them crawl all over his arms, and smiling down at them. WTF?!

She's curious about nature, so we have to reinforce that ants are bad and will sting you. But, why am I having to compete with her initial impression, that ants are friendly, happy bugs that Ernie plays with?!
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:26 AM   #2025
Flint
Snowflake

Oh and btw, congratulations to SG for writing probably one of the stupidest thing I've ever read.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swiss