The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-29-2008, 10:08 AM   #2416
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Sorry, I know it must seem like a walk in the park for people with chronic skin conditions. I'm just feeling sorry for myself!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:24 AM   #2417
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

My angioedema attacks sure aren't fun, so I sympathise with the chronic and the acute skin conditions.

DanaC--I have to be very careful: if I take benadryl too late I pay hell trying to wake up in the morning...but as my symptoms usually flair (flare?)up at the end of the day when the shoes are off or the hands (or face, or ears) have realized something had irritated them that day it's often too late to take anything. Depending on the degree of discomfort, sometimes I do anyway.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #2418
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

"All international circuits are busy to the country you are calling. Please try your call again later."

You're kidding me? What is this, a radio station ticket giveaway? Arrrgh!
Old 08-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #2419
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I get that message every time I try to call Nigeria, also.

Don't they care that I need that money?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:35 PM   #2420
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Sorry, I know it must seem like a walk in the park for people with chronic skin conditions. I'm just feeling sorry for myself!
not at all a walk in the park, that looks horrible. The Oilatum Dana mentioned is awsome, although i used to use that for dry skin and would be wary about it inflaming that more... just try a teeny tiny drop to start and if it doesn't irritate it, go for it. it's a good thing to have in the bathroom cabinet. the other thing I've recently got into is Aveeno moisturiser, very soothing in a non-oily, none irritant way.

It looks like something that might also be irritated by humidity -do you have any control over the humidity at work?
Old 08-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #2421
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

How 'bout a good ol' shot of celestone? (a long-acting steriod?) for Sundae and Dana. Usually clears my Danny up pronto. (he's an eczema sufferer, too, Dana)
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #2422
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Trust me honey, that looks like no walk I ever took in a park :P That looks as painful and uncomfortable as any bad eczema flare.

@ Shawnee. Yeah. I am supposed to drop onto hydroxizine 3 times a day when it's bad, but I just find it knocks me out and take it only when needed. Trouble is, as you say, if you leave it too late it sucks your brain out by morning :P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #2423
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

You should take some antihysthamines before bed. Even a double dose wont kill you if it's got enough work to do with the hives.

Just be careful what kind you take though. Some (such as phernergan) are depressants, so you'll feel shitty and grumpy the next day especially if you take a large dose. I try not to take these too much, but they do work really well on things like hives.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:10 PM   #2424
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
I'm more worried about somewhere to live - I get £40 a week from the pub and although that's very useful I can live without it if I have to. I'm mostly concerned about the exchange happening before next payday. That's when I will have enough money for a deposit and a months rent in advance so I can move into another place. Before that and I'm in a very awkward situation.

Damn, thought I'd reconciled myself to that - I've got butterflies again just thinking about it.

Anyway. Just to compound my misery I am still itching like hell. I went to the Doctors on Wednesday and he said I'm having an allergic reaction to something I've eaten. If the hives aren't down by Monday I should go back and they'll give me steroids. Well they're still live and perky and roaming my body with a strange sort of symmetry. The palms of my hands and between my fingers are worst at the moment. If you would like to participate online go out and grab yourself a handful of stinging nettles. Oh and drop a couple on your feet and tickle your underarms while you're at it. From what I saw in the bathroom this morning my sides and back are next on the list.

Allergic reaction to something you ate? Sounds like a cop-out diagnosis to me. Did you tell your doctor about the other stuff going on in your life? Could this be an auto-immune response to the sudden massive increase in stress, worry, anxiety etc. which you quite reasonably undergo when your job and home are put in doubt?
Doesn't stress trigger auto-immune responses? Anyone?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:17 PM   #2425
monster

be careful with antihistamines if you're on depression medication.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:20 PM   #2426
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Doesn't stress trigger auto-immune responses? Anyone?
It's my main trigger with both eczema and asthma. But it's different for different people.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #2427
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I've seen people break out in hives in response to stress, nasty ones.

I think it's a cop-out diagnosis, too...but, then, I'm not there with SG. Maybe it WAS something she ate.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #2428
monster

thing is, the treatment's pretty similar whatever the diagnosis. it's just the preventative care in the future that is dependant on a decent diag.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #2429
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post

Allergic reaction to something you ate? Sounds like a cop-out diagnosis to me.
My Doctor is very good and does really listen. He knows I've been through stress recently as we discussed it as a trigger for my acid reflux in the previous appointment, and again at the one I showed him the hives (then mostly on my belly). His immediate reaction given their appearance and distribution was "food". He could be wrong of course, but as Monster says, the treatment is the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
be careful with antihistamines if you're on depression medication.
Don't worry, I worked in Medicines Management long enough to check contra-indications. In both purchases I told the pharmacists what I'm on. I think fluoxetine can be a problem, but I didn't get on with that and am on paroxetine instead.

I did get a lovely night's sleep last night - didn't knock me out but I guess kept me drowsy enough not to surface as I do usually. I wasn't even woken by the itching, although my hands are going crazy now. New ones are still coming up so my secret hopes of a knockout dose (for the hives) didn't work either. Probably not medically sound anyway!

I'm going to take some tonight, but not tomorrow night - I don't want to go to the doctors on Monday in a temporary reprieve state. If they're still active I want Dr Bocus to see they're still active. A week is 6 days too long to put up with it imo. Wishful thinking is telling me the rate is slowing down so fingers crossed I am over the worst and won't have to have steroids anyway.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:55 AM   #2430
Ibby
erika

What's upsetting me?
I think I'm drinking too much. I've been stealing more and more alcohol from my parents' liquor cabinet. I did it last night, and again tonight. It's gone from once every three weeks or so to more than once a week.

not good. not good.

Tags
swiss