The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-30-2005, 04:18 PM   #241
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Doncha know that "liberalism" is a communicable disease that's spread by the interchange of ideas? The entire judiciary has been infected, and must be replaced by GW Bush appointees!
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:06 PM   #242
jinx
Come on, cat.

I wonder if stem cell research would have helped Terri?
Old 03-30-2005, 05:18 PM   #243
Happy Monkey

Well, not her in particular. Research doesn't move that quickly. And even if it reached the full theoretical maturity, replacing a damaged section of brain with fresh cells, the information encoded in the dead cells is gone, and at best she would be restored to babyhood. Better than death, but it wouldn't have helped "Terri" so much as give Terri's body a second chance at becoming a person.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-30-2005, 06:47 PM   #244
bluesdave
Getting older every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Well, not her in particular. Research doesn't move that quickly. And even if it reached the full theoretical maturity, replacing a damaged section of brain with fresh cells, the information encoded in the dead cells is gone, and at best she would be restored to babyhood. Better than death, but it wouldn't have helped "Terri" so much as give Terri's body a second chance at becoming a person.
I know it's a little off topic, but you have hit on the very reason why "life after death" is an impossibility. People seem to forget that what they think, what they remember, their emotions, etc. are all stored in cells within their body, and yet they expect that when they die, somehow that all gets transfered into their "spirit". Crazy!

"Believers" are going cite people like James Van Praagh, and ask if it's not true, how do they do what they do. I think there is a perfectly logical, scientific explanation for his abilities, which I won't go into here, mixed in with a fair amount of good old Vaudeville showmanship. And, yes, I am impressed with his skills.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:13 PM   #245
Happy Monkey

Life after death people (not me) would probably say either

1) Memories are lost anyway on death, as the soul is separate from the mind, (ie reincarnation)

or

2) Loss of brain function merely disrupts the connection between the soul's uncorrupted memory and the conscious mind.

James Van Praagh and John Edward are carnies, and aren't really relevant to any real religious discussions. I may think that they are equally incorrect as the Pope, but the Pope actually believes the things he says.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-30-2005, 07:48 PM   #246
bluesdave
Getting older every day

Isn't #2 what I just said?
Old 03-30-2005, 08:47 PM   #247
Happy Monkey

I don't think so. You said that on death memories would be copied from brain to spirit. My #2 would be that memories are stored by the soul, and the brain just provides access to the soul. But I may have misinterpreted you.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-30-2005, 09:21 PM   #248
bluesdave
Getting older every day

Quote:
I don't think so. You said that on death memories would be copied from brain to spirit. My #2 would be that memories are stored by the soul, and the brain just provides access to the soul. But I may have misinterpreted you.
Yes, but the point is that we now have scientifically backed evidence that memories are in fact stored in various parts of the body - not all in the brain, btw. The "believers" (not me - I thought I made that pretty clear), think that either the memories get transfered at death, or, as you say, the soul keeps the memories (or a copy of them), all through a person's life. From an Evolutionary point of view, that would be extremely inefficient, and nature tends towards efficiency.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:59 PM   #249
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

A believer (of which I am one) takes it on faith that God is universally aware. Therefore (if the premise is accepted), it is not difficult to conjure a scenario where God reposits those memories elsewhere.

That isn't to say I accept the idea personally, just that people of faith have a pre-existing belief system which easily supports the possibility.

I didn't catch how that relates to the presumed efficiency of evolution. I'm not sure evolution is efficient - it just "is." Efficient implies that one path to an end is superior in some way to another path as well as implying a designed process. A non-believer cannot accept the notion that evolution is anything but a series of interrelateded causes and effects that is unconcerned with its final disposition.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:26 PM   #250
bluesdave
Getting older every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
I didn't catch how that relates to the presumed efficiency of evolution. I'm not sure evolution is efficient - it just "is." Efficient implies that one path to an end is superior in some way to another path as well as implying a designed process. A non-believer cannot accept the notion that evolution is anything but a series of interrelateded causes and effects that is unconcerned with its final disposition.
I was generalising, but you clearly don't understand evolution. You being a "believer" makes that understandable. Evolution is constantly experimenting. The general trend is towards a more efficiently running organism. Some species don't work out, and so drop off the tree. Others either continue with little or moderate change (eg. sharks, crocodiles), or evolve into something completely different (eg. whales).

I think this particular debate has been done to death in other threads, so I'll leave it at that.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:43 PM   #251
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesdave
The "believers" (not me - I thought I made that pretty clear),
I realized that, I was just paraphrasing the argument your theoretical believer was using.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-31-2005, 01:57 AM   #252
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Radio commentator Rollye James, always on the lookout for a good conspiracy theory, pointed out tonight that Pinellas Park, Florida is the HQ of the "Church" of Scientology, and their doctrine may well play into some of the goings on ...

Because of the way WPHT broadcasts her show, hours 2-4, followed by hour 1, since her first on-air hour is filled by Bill O'Reilly's Radio Factor, I caught the beginning of her show on the way home from work tonight. She was supposed to focus further on the broad hints of interesting content that she gave during the show lead in, but I missed the rest.

I was completely fucking astonished by a report I saw last night on Michael's lawyer, who is some kind of a mystic in addition to being a lawyer ... apparently in a book that he wrote on his work in "end of life issues" he discussed having "soul spoken" to a client in a persistent vegetative state and from that knew that her wish was to die.

I thought he looked flaky when he was describing how serene and peaceful Terry looked ... right around the time they started shooting her up with morphine because she was thrashing around and moaning too much.

Some exceprts

available from amazon.com

note to the reader. This post was stolen wholesale from an earlier post this evening on The Ciberbosque

Home of the Whale Penis Thread, in case you forgot

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:37 AM   #253
Griff
still says videotape

I'm not one to argue for government intervention, but what is the harm in letting her parents take care of her? Or put another way, why do we need to kill her by withholding food? We are perched on the edge of a slope we had to roll the boulder up last century. Brain injury, mental capacity, senility, autism, retardation, age, race, social status... Barring a living will or an unimpeachable source of information of her wishes, do we really have the right to make this decision? I thought I was cool with this until I listened to Rabbi Gelman on the issue. Is a feeding tube really an extraordinary measure? I'd feel a whole lot better if the family had reached a consensus about her condition. I know my opinion doesn't count since its based, in part, in a belief about the source of life, but I don't want folks to think the entire cellar has reached a conclusive position on this. I don't even know if I've reached a conclusive position on this. We do need to understand that neither side's position is based on pure reason.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:56 AM   #254
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
I know my opinion doesn't count since its based, in part, in a belief about the source of life,
That's not why your opinion doesn't count. None of our opinions count, and the opinion of the lawyers doesn't count, and the opinion of the judges doesn't count. We aren't her husband. Sure, it would be nice if he and the parents hadn't had a falling out, but things aren't always nice, and the order of responsibility is:

self
spouse
adult children
parents
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-31-2005, 08:28 AM   #255
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
self
spouse
adult children
parents
True. Rule of law should mean something.