The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-13-2007, 01:48 PM   #241
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Pierce said he would defend his RIGHT to life even if someone else thought it were a privilege. This alone proves it to be a right because it's not something we require permission to do and it does not violate the rights of others.
Since we have an age limit on the ability to drink alcohol, it is not considered a right but a privilege. I will drink even if society thinks it is a privilege. Does this prove that the ability to drink is a right because its not something that I require permission to do and it does not violate the rights of others?

You will say yes but other people will say no. That shows that rights are perspective based. You just have an absolute perspective, anything that I do not need permission to do and it does not violate the rights of others should be legal, so it is in your best interests to support that view. Other people think differently so it is in their best interest to support an opposing viewpoint where rights are more perspective based.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #242
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
False. All of them are supported by evidence and all are equally factual. You yourself say we have a right to life and so does Pierce. Ask every human being on earth if they have a right to live and they will say yes (assuming they can talk or communicate).

It is unanimous. It is factual. It is right. It is axiomatic. It is undeniable. And nothing you say or do will change it.

Once apon a time, everyone believed the world was flat, but then along came someone that proved it wasn't.

So was it a fact that it was flat before it magically become not a fact anymore?
Old 12-13-2007, 04:22 PM   #243
Aliantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
It's the truth
It's actual
Everything is satisfactual.

(Sidenote: just because every human being on earth believes something doesn't make it so. There was a time when every human on earth believed the earth was flat. Just sayin')
Ooops, should have read this before I posted my last one.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:24 PM   #244
Aliantha

Quote:
It's not a fallacious argument. I have a right and will defend that right. If you claim I don't have a right and attempt to violate my rights, the result will be very real force used against you. The bullet they feel is a side effect of violating my rights.

not if the person violating your rights decides to act on his/her right to put themselves out of misery and shoot you first.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:29 PM   #245
Aliantha

In the process of excercising your rights by shooting someone in the head, doesn't that mean that you're violating someone else's right? Or taking that right away?

If it's a right and it's based on the bill of rights, why do people still have to go to court to defend themselves after excercising their rights?

Surely if it's a right, it must be self evident why you shot someone in the head.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:57 PM   #246
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Once apon a time, everyone believed the world was flat, but then along came someone that proved it wasn't.

So was it a fact that it was flat before it magically become not a fact anymore?
It was never a fact that the world was flat. The world was always spherical despite the beliefs of those who thought otherwise. The truth is the truth regardless of the ability of anyone's ability to recognize it. The truth is that we have human rights. They come from nature and are real and tangible and they can't be bought, sold, taken, given, or voted away. This fact will not change regardless of how many claim the world to be flat (or claim our rights are a social construct) regardless of how sure they are.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:58 PM   #247
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
In the process of excercising your rights by shooting someone in the head, doesn't that mean that you're violating someone else's right? Or taking that right away?

If it's a right and it's based on the bill of rights, why do people still have to go to court to defend themselves after excercising their rights?

Surely if it's a right, it must be self evident why you shot someone in the head.
The attacker is violating rights. If he becomes injured or dead when someone defends themselves, his or her rights have not been violated.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:16 PM   #248
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:31 PM   #249
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I agree. This is getting old.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:01 PM   #250
Aliantha

Quote:
It was never a fact that the world was flat. The world was always spherical despite the beliefs of those who thought otherwise. The truth is the truth regardless of the ability of anyone's ability to recognize it. The truth is that we have human rights. They come from nature and are real and tangible and they can't be bought, sold, taken, given, or voted away. This fact will not change regardless of how many claim the world to be flat (or claim our rights are a social construct) regardless of how sure they are.
Gee...I guess it was axiomatic at the time then.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:03 PM   #251
Aliantha

Quote:
The attacker is violating rights. If he becomes injured or dead when someone defends themselves, his or her rights have not been violated.
Wrong. If his right to live is natural/inalienable then you've violated his right to live by taking away his life, regardless of the reason why you did it. Regardless of whether you were trying to preserve your own or not.

It doesn't matter what the reason is. It's still a right violated.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:12 PM   #252
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Gee...I guess it was axiomatic at the time then.
No. Axiomatic = True and widely known.

It IS axiomatic that we have undeniable, irrevocable, immutable, and unalienable rights.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:13 PM   #253
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Wrong. If his right to live is natural/inalienable then you've violated his right to live by taking away his life, regardless of the reason why you did it. Regardless of whether you were trying to preserve your own or not.

It doesn't matter what the reason is. It's still a right violated.
WRONG. When you attack someone, any injuries you suffer (including death) are your own fault. It stands to reason you wouldn't understand something this simple since you're stupid enough to think it's Israel's fault when they retaliate for people blowing up their children.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:17 PM   #254
Aliantha

No, you are WRONG.

Shall we go back and forth with this a little bit? Would that make you feel happy?
Old 12-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #255
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Sure. If you want to make yourself look more foolish while claiming that those who attack others are the victims when they get their comeuppance. Knock yourself out. You'll still be W-R-O-N-G